• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    My opinion: I don't see what all the excitement is about. The only interesting thing it does is lob large-for-caliber bullets at sub-sonic speeds. Its a gun without the "bang!"...and that doesn't appeal to me.

The majority of my guns are for hunting. There are many cartridges that make more sense for hunting than the 300AAC/Blackout. If you ever need to kill someone from a fair distance and have it be difficult to locate the source of the shot, I guess this cartridge would be a good choice. Otherwise, it's just a complicated and expensive way of shooting a gun that doesn't make much noise.

bmbutch

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    I have one I built & love it. However, if you don't reload or have money stashes laying around, it's expensive.

Pros:
    1) I enjoy messing with load recipes for subsonic.
    2) With Octane 9 HD Suppressor it's quiet.
    3) With supersonic, it's very accurate @ longer ranges, sadly longest I have access to is 200yds
    4) 5.56 / .223 mags work for 300, brass can be reworked into 300.

Cons:
    1) Ammo is expensive, if you don't reload.
    2) Finding subsonic powder is almost impossible @ least for me.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    I was thinking about getting a 300BLK with a suppressor, but now I am leaning towards getting a 9mm carbine and suppressor instead. The cost of ammo to shoot targets is just not worth it to me.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    I am asking this question sincerely, and hope it ties into the OP's question: What is so appealing about a gun that doesn't make as much noise?

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I had an AR laying around and had a 300 barrel put on. I think it is a neat concept. I am a mechanical person and enjoy building rounds for it. I only shoot supers and wanted a more capable round to shoot hogs and stuff with. So far I love it. Remember what it is intended for. Midrage weapon that has a lot of potential with a muffler can and hits way harder than a .223.

Also keep in mind that factory ammo is non available and extremely expensive if you happen across any. I am a hand loader only and never shoot past two hundred yards generally and already had a host to transform. For me it fit the bill. My advice it to remember what it was designed to do vs what you would like to do with it.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I am asking this question sincerely, and hope it ties into the OP's question: What is so appealing about a gun that doesn't make as much noise?

I have yet to figure that one out myself. Why pay out the wazoo for a can and a stamp and crap??????? I want super sonic hits on target otherwise shoot a .45. or slug gun

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I will also add that the 300blk is a caster's dream. I can shoot my 155gr cast for about a nickel a round.

That is awesome!

I have a thousand 45 long Colt bullets and nothing to shoot them in. Let me know if you want to melt them into something.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    That is awesome!

I have a thousand 45 long Colt bullets and nothing to shoot them in. Let me know if you want to melt them into something.

Oh! I will happily buy them off you (at a reasonable price of course), I have a Sam Yang PCP air rifle that uses .454 cast and I am always looking to try out new rounds in it. After bullets get fished out of my bullet trap they get cast into be boolits for something else :-) PM me if you were serious.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Cons: Factory ammo is a bit pricey but it's coming down.

Pros: Easy to reload, lots of loading options from subsonic to supersonic, easy to make cases from 5.56/.223 cases, AR platform with just a barrel change., lots of fun to shoot.

Forgive my impertinence, but aren't pretty much ALL guns "lots of fun to shoot" ?

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Let's see. Don't have to wear hearing protection for one. I've never met anyone that didn't get a smile on their face when they fired any of my 22's suppressed.

Let me turn it around on you. If you are target shooting, what is so enjoyable about shooting a gun that makes a lot of noise?

bmbutch

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    I was thinking about getting a 300BLK with a suppressor, but now I am leaning towards getting a 9mm carbine and suppressor instead. The cost of ammo to shoot targets is just not worth it to me.

That's where I started, 5" TROS 3-lug mount 9mm SBR. My suppressor is good with 9mm & .300 subs. The 9mm SBR is really fun, suppressed or not.

As far as why a more "quiet" round is desirable, it to me is just what I enjoy. As said earlier, also enjoy messing with new recipes for reloads.

gunselman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 94.1%
    32   2   0
    Dec 18, 2008
    Indy
    300 BO in a AR-15 platform is a really nice handy package. 300BO (using standard 30 round AR mags) is much more compact than any sub-gun carrying 30 rounds of 45 ACP and as compact as a MP5 with 30 rounds of 9mm. Running a gas (DI) AR-15 subsonic vs. a blow-back gun will be much quieter and cleaner.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)

I have yet to figure that one out myself. Why pay out the wazoo for a can and a stamp and crap??????? I want super sonic hits on target otherwise shoot a .45. or slug gun

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/class-iii-nfa/91513-why-do-people-buy-suppressors.html
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/class-iii-nfa/359109-advantages.html

why do you wear hearing protection? Silencers do the same thing (and reduce sound by about the same order of magnatude, generally), only now you can hear everything else, such as have conversations, teach, hear steel ringing, etc and you don't have to wear hot ear muffs that affect your cheek weld, etc.

"I want my guns to make noise! Now wait while I stuff these things in my ears."

There are places in the world you'd be the odd one for not using a silencer. Our laws have just made them somewhat uncommon.

and you can use silencers on supersonic rounds, you just hear the bullet crack.

-rvb

Last edited:

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/class-iii-nfa/91513-why-do-people-buy-suppressors.html
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/class-iii-nfa/359109-advantages.html

why do you wear hearing protection? Silencers do the same thing (and reduce sound by about the same order of magnatude, generally), only now you can hear everything else, such as have conversations, teach, hear steel ringing, etc and you don't have to wear hot ear muffs that affect your cheek weld, etc.

"I want my guns to make noise! Now wait while I stuff these things in my ears."

There are places in the world you'd be the odd one for not using a silencer. Our laws have just made them somewhat uncommon.

and you can use silencers on supersonic rounds, you just hear the bullet crack.

-rvb

I have hearing protection that allows me to hear normal speaking voices in-between shots and I'm sure it cost less than a suppressor, plus I didn't have to go through any Federal paperwork.

I have shot a lot of sub-sonic 22 ammo the last couple of years, so I "get it". You squeeze the trigger and a bullet hits the target, w/o as much noise.

I like all guns and I don't really factor in "noise" as a reason to like or dislike them. The 300 AAC Blackout is an expensive way of getting mediocre ballistic performance in exchange for not having to wear hearing protection. All I'm asking is: What's so great about that? Why would I pay extra to get less? Because it doesn't make as much noise?

What places in the world would a civilian shooter be the odd one out for not using a silencer?

tatic05

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 3, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    I have hearing protection that allows me to hear normal speaking voices in-between shots and I'm sure it cost less than a suppressor, plus I didn't have to go through any Federal paperwork.

I have shot a lot of sub-sonic 22 ammo the last couple of years, so I "get it". You squeeze the trigger and a bullet hits the target, w/o as much noise.

I like all guns and I don't really factor in "noise" as a reason to like or dislike them. The 300 AAC Blackout is an expensive way of getting mediocre ballistic performance in exchange for not having to wear hearing protection. All I'm asking is: What's so great about that? Why would I pay extra to get less? Because it doesn't make as much noise?

What places in the world would a civilian shooter be the odd one out for not using a silencer?

What calibers do you shoot? You could say whats so special about almost any caliber that is out there. There are positive and negatives with everything. Maybe people want to shoot this round...well because they want to. No I cant find a reason I would need certain types of firearms but that doesn't stop me wanting them.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)

how many sets of electronic ear pro do you have? one can lets everyone around reap the benefits, not just you.

The 300 AAC Blackout is an expensive way of getting mediocre ballistic performance in exchange for not having to wear hearing protection. All I'm asking is: What's so great about that? Why would I pay extra to get less? Because it doesn't make as much noise?

I'm not justifying .300 blk, just saying why silencers are worthwhile. I have no real use for .300 blk, personally. my 9mm fills the quiet roll, and .223/.308 fill the supersonic rifle roll. maybe if I didn't have a 9mm already I'd look at .300, but that's a big maybe.

places like new zealand, norway, and I think france, for example, where they are completely unregulated and common. in sweden they are legal and commonly used for hunting. while i have no first hand experience, ive read many ranges and many hunters in those parts of the world think it inconsiderate to not use a silencer...

-rvb

romack991

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 27, 2012
    300 blk is it worth the build??

Depends on what you want out of the rifle. It's a fun, versatile 30 cal cartridge that uses all the same AR parts with the exception of the barrel. You can shoot 110gr VMax at supersonic all the way up to 230gr lead bullet subsonics. Supersonic ammo can have similar ballistics to the 7.62x39 and subsonic ammo suppresses very well. If you like to tinker and are going to reload, there isn't much of a downside. Brass can be made from .223 or already converted brass is relatively cheap. Wide 308 bullet selection, plus there are bullet molds if you want to cast your own. Powder is common and it doesn't take very much. Even if the platform dies, components will still be easy to obtain.

If you want to go buy ammo off the shelf or want to shoot past 300yds or so, it probably isn't the cartridge for you.

The longest range I shoot at is 200yds and I reload so it's a good option for me.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    300 BO in a AR-15 platform is a really nice handy package. 300BO (using standard 30 round AR mags) is much more compact than any sub-gun carrying 30 rounds of 45 ACP and as compact as a MP5 with 30 rounds of 9mm. Running a gas (DI) AR-15 subsonic vs. a blow-back gun will be much quieter and cleaner.

I'm not sure about this. I already have a 3 lug suppressor mounted on a 9mm MP5 and it's pretty compact. This is why I never finished building my Noveske 8.5" 300 BLK AR-15 upper. I even bought a Tros 3 lug adapter for my 300 BLK barrel. It's all still in the safe, new in the box though. I just can't decide if it's worth putting it together. When SHTF, I'm not going to grab the 300 BLK for CQB. I'll go for the MP5. If I need more range I'm going for the AR-15 in 5.56mm.

Top Bottom