• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mikefraz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Lakeville
    First off, I'm one of those guys that never leaves well enough alone. I haven't even received my upper yet and I'm already thinking about what I'm wanting to change. I'm playing with the idea of converting my 5.56 RRA upper to 300 BLK. I've heard that all you need to convert is to change the barrels. The problem I am running into is my upper has a mid length gas system. My question is, would it be relatively easy to change to a carbine gas system when I change barrels? What all is involved with the whole process? What would be the cost to have someone do this for me if I supply the parts?

hemicharger

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   1
    Mar 14, 2008
    Anywhere
    All you need is a new barrel and gas tube if you reuse your gas block off your 5.56 barrel. Barrels cost between $200-$400. I'm happy with my Noveske 8.2". Talk to Andrew at Profire and he will hook you up.

mikefraz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Lakeville
    Gotcha. I've built my own lower, but I don't think i'm comfortable doing anything with uppers just yet. Plus I don't have any of the tools needed. What's the going rate for a barrel swap at a shop?

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Gotcha. I've built my own lower, but I don't think i'm comfortable doing anything with uppers just yet. Plus I don't have any of the tools needed. What's the going rate for a barrel swap at a shop?

I have no clue, It can be done with a 20 dollar wrench, Im betting you can handle it.

lumpagus1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 14, 2012
    Ossian
    I believe I've seen some 300 BLK barrels that have a gas block and tube on it. I'm not sure if the gas block and tube come with it or if it was just for advertising purposes (I forgot to read over the small print).

As far as changing out the buffer spring...I don't disagree with doing that but I would like to suggest, instead of or in addition to changing the buffer spring, if you have a mil-spec carbine recoil buffer you could just get a heavier buffer. Spike's Tactical and Primary Weapon Systems sell quality heavy buffers. The PWS buffers are Spike's made but have the PWS logo (I guess that's more for asethetics). The ST2 and ST3 are filled with tungsten powder which more evenly distributes the weight in the buffer and also makes the buffer heavier. A heavy buffer will help tame the heavier recoil from a 300 BLK.

Here are the links to:
    Spike's Buffers
    ST-T2(Lower Parts - Spike's ST-T2 Heavy Buffer T2 Buffer [SLA00T2] - $32.95 : Spikes Tactical)
    ST-T3(Lower Parts - Spike's ST-T3 Heavy Buffer [SLA00T3] - $42.95 : Spikes Tactical)

Primary Weapon Systems
    ST-T2(PWS (Spikes) ST2 Tungsten Buffer - Weapon Upgrades)
    ST-T3(PWS (Spikes) ST3 Tungsten Buffer - Weapon Upgrades)

Last edited:

Mudcat

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Warrick county
    No need to change to a heavier buffer or different recoil spring. I believe the RR middys come with a carbine buffer, (at least mine did) that is what I run in my 300 with carbine gas system.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    thatjimboguy
    Top Bottom