• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nighter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2012
    Middle Georgia
    I need some in bulk. I have been looking around but I'm not to impressed about what I have found. any suggestions? I have not setttled on a particular brand as of yet so I am open to most.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I have not discovered a bad 168 bullet in 308 caliber. They used to be cheap compared to todays prices.

I find it best to just close my eyes when handing over my debit card.

It is even harder to buy Sierra 175's. I need to buy a couple thousand and am not looking forward to it.

Maybe we need to form a support group.......:):

nighter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2012
    Middle Georgia
    yeah I got a guy I shoot with and this was the topic of discussion today. We both shoot better at long range with them but cant find bulk at a good price.

yeah the 168 support (we spent all the money we save on reloading to buy the heavy bullets) group :spend::spend:

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Too many of the affordable aspects of reloading have gone out the window. It seems like it's ALL expensive, these days. Have you bought 22WMR rounds lately? :n00b:

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    PVI does 168 AMax for $0.25 each in lots of 250. I don't know on 168s for sure, but on 162s they'll do better on lots of 1k if you call.

Mech45

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    NWI
    Powder Valley has SMK 168's for $141 for 500, 175's for $145 for 500 and Hornaday 168AMAX $57 for 250. I use 175 SMK's mostly myself, anybody ever do a group buy on this stuff?

Chris

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    The Prvi bulk bullets from Widener's are "acceptable". It depends what you want to do with them. They aren't up to par with Sierra's. The tips aren't uniform and they vary in weight. Tip uniforming (meplat trimming), weight sorting, then sorting by bearing surface length will help them out a bit, but at that point you're in pretty deep on time. You may as well buy Sierra's unless you have more time than money. BTW, I've done that before (weight sorting and bearing surface sorting) and it's no fun, but it is doable.

AFAIK, Sierra doesn't do bulk buy's etc. You could possibly ask, but I'm guessing for them to do it you're going to have to be some sort of retailer and they're going to want you to buy a metric crapload of bullets to give you a discount. Bullets is just one of there areas where there isn't much opportunity for group buys and discounts. You may be able to go through one of the larger online retailers for a group buy but even then I'm not sure you're going to see a huge money saves like you're expecting.

tenring

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 16, 2008
    Martinsville
    You can always call Sierra and ask if they have any seconds. They don't always have them, but if you catch them at the right time, you might get a barrel full. Catch is you have to go the the plant and get them. Sold as weight, and not count.

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    By quantity, Hornady. I go through some Lapua but only in 0.308" and I don't shoot much of that bore. Barnes gets a bit of my business as well.

There is a well supported sentiment that Leupold made some good scopes years ago and then rested on those laurels, and people don't like them for it. Sierra beats them at that game and continues to do so.

But I'm not a brand loyalist and if Sierra comes up with something spectacular I'll be near the front of the line.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Yeah - Am I to understand that you feel the Sierra bullets are not of good quality? I agree that they haven't done anything innovative in a long time, so they've fallen behind in the "cool" category, but how can you question their reputation for accuracy? I no longer shoot them for hunting, because terminal performance matters to me, but the most accurate bullet I have shot through several different rifles have been from Sierra. They still make some EXCELLENT bullets and unless you're talking about how they work on really tough game animals, I don't know how you could refer to them as "seconds". :dunno:

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    but how can you question their reputation for accuracy?

I didn't.

Though I've shot thousands, and thousands of most everything else, so I know what does what and why. There isn't a single rifle or application I have, and I have plenty, where my first choice is anything from Sierra. It isn't like a consistent bullet is hard to come by these days so I'll take that and everything else I can get as well.

Electronrider

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    White County
    I didn't.

Though I've shot thousands, and thousands of most everything else, so I know what does what and why. There isn't a single rifle or application I have, and I have plenty, where my first choice is anything from Sierra. It isn't like a consistent bullet is hard to come by these days so I'll take that and everything else I can get as well.

Being relatively new to reloading ( 4 years), I have always shot sierra and hornaday. Could you provide some supporting thoughts on why you dislike Sierrea? Not dissenting, just curious.

chipdog4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Sierra Bullets shoot just fine, but Hornady and Nosler shoot just as good and are always cheaper.

Top Bottom