• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sling10mm

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2012
    I got out to the range with some 130 grain TTSX's over Varget powder (48.5-51.5 grains). They had me worried because I couldn't even get groups for the lighter charges, but once I got up to 51.0 grains of powder they came together, and 51.5 grains was the best. Now I'm going to work between 51.0 and 52.0 grains in 0.2 grain increments and see if I can zero in on a good one. These TTSX's must just want to be driven hard, at least in my tube.

Sling10mm

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2012
    Store bought 150 grain Remington core-lokt, no need to over think things

Quill and ink.... no need to overthink things.
    Horse drawn carriage.... no need to overthink things.
    Smooth bore muzzle-loader.... no need to overthink things.

To each his own.

Sling10mm

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2012
    Well, we do still use bows and arrows, crossbows and bolts. I may have come across a little like a jerk and didn't mean to. I'm sure the Remmy Core-lokt has taken plenty of white tail over the years, but I don't think it hurts to try new things. I kind of like the idea of not exploding lead inside the animal that I will eventually eat, although it hasn't hurt me yet that I know of.

My line of thought is that out of the shorter barrel a lighter bullet will be faster/flatter shooting, but most are built for varmints. I have also read mixed reviews on the Hornady SST's, especially the 125 grain version, so that is how I arrived at the all copper bullet. Some folks even reported the 165 grain SST "exploding" on shoulder shots. The Hornady GMX is designed for higher velocities, but I think the Barnes TTSX will perform well since it is solid copper versus the harder gilding metal, and can achieve full expansion at lower velocities.

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I will be using a "rack grade" m14 with iron sights, the 150 grain core lokt is a near dead ringer for m80 ball performance wise, helps when you have your irons zeroed using m80 ball.

That said I mostly shoot hogs in Texas. The core lokt performs well on them. Day, or night with a PVS-4.

I am just glad I can get some deer in Indiana without having to use my S&W 29. The look on the fish and game guys face last year when he asked to see my rifle was priceless though.

I feel like venison bbq allready.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Haven't used factory ammo in a hunting rifle for coming up on 30 years. It's not so much about saving money as it is about putting together loads that work very well, at the cost of bargain basement ammo from the store, while also shooting a lot more with the money saved. I've had a lot of fun playing with the obscure or wildcat cartridges Indiana allowed with their wonky regulations, including the deer harvested with the 358 GNR and 44/40. Just the same, I'm looking forward to using "normal" rifle cartridges that deliver more energy and range. I'll probably still use the rifles I had been using, on occasion...but I won't be using factory ammo in any of my hunting guns. ;)

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I too have been a reloader for over 30 years.
    Got a #1 RSI that seems to tolerate WW factory 100gr.
    Under an inch at 50 yards. Under 2" at 100 is fine with me.
    Place I hunt, that's about it. If it goes 1.5" that'd even be better.

I'm content to not reload for a rifle that gets a box put through it per yr.

My 700 for chucks and yotes, demands a bit more accuracy, so it gets reloads.
    Same cartridge too.....so I have brass and powder. Minor investment in a box of heavier bullets and I might find something super for the little #1.

If the WW factory stuff does well at 100 then I am done.

Sometimes things are "good enough".

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    I too have been a reloader for over 30 years.
    Got a #1 RSI that seems to tolerate WW factory 100gr.
    Under an inch at 50 yards. Under 2" at 100 is fine with me.
    Place I hunt, that's about it. If it goes 1.5" that'd even be better.

I'm content to not reload for a rifle that gets a box put through it per yr.

My 700 for chucks and yotes, demands a bit more accuracy, so it gets reloads.
    Same cartridge too.....so I have brass and powder. Minor investment in a box of heavier bullets and I might find something super for the little #1.

If the WW factory stuff does well at 100 then I am done.

Sometimes things are "good enough".

Sorry, but this makes no sense to me, top to bottom.

You've got a good rifle and the means to reload cartridges for it, inexpensively, yet you're more than happy to settle on mediocre performance, simply because you don't shoot it frequently?

"Good enough" is not what made America great, but hey, it's your gun to shoot and your deer to track.

6mm Shoot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    Sling10mm I have had good results with Sierra 150 gr Spitzer boat tail Game King at 308 velocities. I used them when I lived in Kentucky on deer.

My 700 likes them and they get the job dun.

dooshie

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 30, 2013
    Indy
    I'm a old fashion hunter.... I hunt with a 300 Savage 99.... for 3 generations with this same rifle.... same 2 types of Rounds ....150 gr. power point or a 180 gr. soft point
    150 gr.
    37.5 gr. IMR 3031
    vel. just over 2500 fps.
    180 gr.
    35.5 gr. IMR 3031
    vel. just over 2200 fps.

and theses are brought down a lot racks from deer to bear to moose... it's been a great rifle..

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Sorry, but this makes no sense to me, top to bottom.

You've got a good rifle and the means to reload cartridges for it, inexpensively, yet you're more than happy to settle on mediocre performance, simply because you don't shoot it frequently?

"Good enough" is not what made America great, but hey, it's your gun to shoot and your deer to track.

I aint shooting the friggin' deer in the eye.
    Creekbottom the place I'll be running the #1. Above the creek, max would be 100.
    The #1 RSI are known to be iffy on accuracy. The trigger, while usable, aint all that great.
    The facts are...........my RSI without cool down put 3 inside an inch at 50. I didn't take it to the range for verification at 100 yesterday.

If it shoots under 2" at 100 w factory ammo indeed, I'd call that "good enough".

I'm really not interested in an aftermarket trigger, having the action timed, a Hicks accurizer or reloading for the dang thing.
    It'll kick less and shoot as good as a rifled shotgun............and those were good to 150 yds.

BTW I don't drive a Ferrari the 3 miles back and forth to work either.

If I wanted a rifle to go to 200 or so I'd run my 700. And if need be, develop a deer load for it (should factory ammo not work as well as liked).

I didn't load my own slugs for the 870 and killed plenty of deer. Factory ammo doesn't bother me at all.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    If it took only sub MOA rifles to kill deer, the Ruger #1 RSI would probably be the most hated rifle in the world.
    Some do shoot well, most just tolerable, a few are reportedly horrible.
    Accept the limit and hunt.

Not everything is based on smallest group. Style does count for something.

That's why I sold my Mathews bow and went back to recurve.
    I don't need to crunch arrows at 50 yards to put deer cleanly in my freezer.

If I lease a place up north then I'll have a different rifle, as shots there could go 300 yds.
    Rather wait a few yrs and run a Sendero .25-06.

Bought the RSI to rebarrel to .35 rem and the regs changed, so figured try it and see.
    Seems good enough.

Find out in Nov. Maybe. Rather smack a P&Y with my Blackwidow.

Last edited:

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Actually, if I place a stand right along the creek (to cover the big dudes slipping down it....they run IN the creek).....
    proly be better off borrowing my dad's peep sighted Ruger .44 auto.

Fingergroove.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    New gear can be fun. Testing and reloading can be fun.
    It can also b a PITA.
    I'd rather spend more time afield and less at the bench.
    Getting old sucks.
    Tougher to handle the weather every year.
    Injuries stacking up.

My rifle/load will not make or break the hunt.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Pops is restoring an old Lyman T mag, I already laid claim to it since I sold my Spar T a few yrs back.
    Reloading since has been visiting the old man and running an RCBS A2.............the one I ran as a kid.
    My interest is in reloading for varmints.
    Seems to be a decent chuck supply this yr.
    Entertaining thoughts of a 1B with killer wood in .243win. That gun I might put some $ into making it shoot.
    But prices on them have gotten stupid.

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    The .41 Blackhawk will do nicely for the deer in the back yard.
    The .31-08 Mauser* will have the ancient straight line reticle steel tube Weaver x4 mounted on it soon so can get some wheel weight heavies cooking.

*It's a 1948 refurbished in '85 to 7.62 NATO with a soviet .310 x 10" twist barrel.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    I tried some H4895 loads with the 165gr Hornady SPBT and the best I got was around 1.5" groups at 100 yards. Going to try some IMR4320 next.

Top Bottom