.308 rifle....M1A, AR-10 or bolt action?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ACC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    Mar 7, 2012
    N. Side of Indy
    I am going to purchase a .308 rifle. I just decided it's time. All I have now are AR-15s, AKs, lever actions (30-30 and .357/.38SPL) and a bolt action .223. I rarely shoot over 200 yards and mostly 100-150yards.

So I am looking at buying an M1A or .308 bolt action (Remington, Savage, etc) or building an AR-10. Only must is that the barrel is threaded. I am only interested in having one .308 rifle.

Just want to hear the thoughts of the guys who are already into .308 rifles.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    I love my .308 bolt gun. It's a rem 700.

I really like the Springfield SOCOM 16 and Scout Squad.

However... I recently got my grubby paws on a Daniel Defense DD5V1. :faint: :drool: I would gladly trade my 700 for that sweetheart.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    Why are M1As a pita to put a suppressor on? That's what I want to do, so I'm bummed if that makes the M1A a deal breaker.

308 AR

If you ever want to stick a suppressor on it, M1As are a PITA (I assume that's why you want a threaded barrel)

If not, 308 AR anyway

I might be mistaken, but I believe the M1A's gas system is the problem. The added back pressure causes cycling issues.

I just did a quick search for suppressed M1a's and got a butt-load of hits. The gas system can be shut off on an M1a making it a single shot if need be

JWAS

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Aug 22, 2011
    Dayton
    I just did a quick search for suppressed M1a's and got a butt-load of hits. The gas system can be shut off on an M1a making it a single shot if need be

You can also buy an adjustable gas plug, that way not as much gas will be used to operate the system and you will not be overgassed. It will also reduce the amount of gas that will fly in your face, help reduce the wear on the gun, and help with accuracy.

Schuster M1A Adjustable Gas Plug Steel Parkerized

That and a thread adapter is all that is really required to suppress. Now, I would also add a scope mount and/or a case deflector (again to make sure that the gases will not hit you in the face).

Case Deflector (Breech Shield), M14/M1A, U.S.G.I.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    I forgot about the adj. gas plug, JWAS.
    As for the Scope & mount, I'm a purest, I like mine open sights. The M1A, Garand, and my AR are all open sight

JWAS

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Aug 22, 2011
    Dayton
    I forgot about the adj. gas plug, JWAS.
    As for the Scope & mount, I'm a purest, I like mine open sights. The M1A, Garand, and my AR are all open sight

Oh, I wont argue... but if he is going suppressed the mount and/or case deflector is (are) the way to go to avoid most of the remainder of the gas to the face that the gas plug didnt stop.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Why are M1As a pita to put a suppressor on? That's what I want to do, so I'm bummed if that makes the M1A a deal breaker.

I might be mistaken, but I believe the M1A's gas system is the problem. The added back pressure causes cycling issues.

The threads were also never made to support a suppressor too. I looked into it a bit a while ago and forgot a lot. Simple answer is it's a PITA but can be done (like an AK)

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    If you can afford it, the M1A has a lot of sentimental value.
    If you can afford it, the AR10 (as others explained) would be the choice if suppression is the goal.
    If you want more gun for the money, get a nice bolt gun, as you can get a premium bolt action for less than what you'll pay for a plain Jane AR10 or M1A, you'll have one that will almost certainly outshoot either of the other two, and suppression won't be a problem at all, since you won't have to fuss with gas piston issues.

Top Bottom