• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    I have no first hand experience with the .338LM, but I am a HUGE fan of the round.

I'm interested to know the process by which one becomes a fan of something despite never having experienced it.

I've long suspected television to be the driving force behind a large number of .338 LM and .50 BMG sales, particularly in light of number rifles so chambered available on the used market in pristine condition. But here is an opportunity to gather the reasoning first hand, which is always the better choice.

jurassicnarc

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Unless you are absolutely wedded to the concept of a Lapua, and are prepared to drop $2500 on a tacti-cool gun, you might be greatly (and pleasantly) suprised at the performance of a used .338 Win Mag, or a Weatherby .340 Mag with virtually identical ballistics. My personal .340 was $600 at the gun show. The chronograph says a 210 Nosler gets 3150 fps, and a 250 Sierra BT gets just less than 2900. Accuracy at 100 yards is 1 1/4 to 1.5. I handload, and this one is easier than most.

Last edited:

squish

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2011
    South Bend area
    Unless you are absolutely wedded to the concept of a Lapua, and are prepared to drop $2500 on a tacti-cool gun, you might be greatly (and pleasantly) suprised at the performance of a used .338 Win Mag, or a Weatherby .340 Mag with virtually identical ballistics. My personal .340 was $600 at the gun show. The chronograph says a 210 Nosler gets 3150 fps, and a 250 Sierra BT gets just less than 2900. Accuracy at 100 yards is 1 1/4 to 1.5. I handload, and this one is easier than most.

1.25 and 1.5 MOA aren't exactly accurate. at 300 yards you're looking at a 3" group at a minimum. My .223 does sub .5 MOA if I do my part, and out to 300 it will leave a ragged hole with a 5 shot group....again IF I do my part.

jurassicnarc

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Squish, I only call them as they occur. Of course 1 1/2" is nothing to write home about, but recoil plays a major part here. The .340 is at the very limit of what I can handle, and considerably worse than the .375 H&H. I have several sub-minute rifles, but none of them kick the snot out of you. The Lapua is bound to be right there with the .340

squish

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2011
    South Bend area
    MOA had nothing to do with the caliber of the round, and everything to do with the gun itself, the actual load of the round and the BC of the bullet among a few other factors. Yes if you take smaller rounds and stretch the out to distance you're going to be effected by the wind, but that's where the art of reading the wind comes in. Once you get good at that you can still shoot sub MOA.

jurassicnarc

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Brother Squish, you are preaching to the choir. I have been behind a rifle for more than 60 years, and grew up doing headshots on groundhogs in WV and southern PA. You twice referenced "doing your part"; I'm merely saying your tolerence to pain will affect that. A .338/340 rifle was designed not for small game, but for elk and moose, where 1 1/2" at 100 (or 4.5 at 300) is just fine for animals where the vital area is bigger than a 5 gallon pail. After the first three shots land together, you will inlarge the group to 1 1/2 even if you "do your part". I'd love to see you do 1 1/2" groups at 300 with any of the over thirty magnums. God bless.

neeltburn

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2012
    Going to a range on Wednesday to shoot out to 1100...should be fun. I am sure this will not help the wanting to do a 338lm. Will take pics of the trip.

dtkw

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2009
    Bloomington
    Considered the cost of ammo, like nearly $100 for a box of 20. Maybe more now. Unless you reload or won a big jackpot. Then it's a fun long range rifle to shoot. I have shot a friend's Barrett's Bravo 98. What a blast.

Ridgeway

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 23, 2008
    So does anyone have any input on the rifles mentioned in the OP?

The Savage seems like an affordable entry into the space, but sometimes things are cheap for a reason . . .

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    So does anyone have any input on the rifles mentioned in the OP?

The Savage seems like an affordable entry into the space, but sometimes things are cheap for a reason . . .

Ive never shot the BA in 338. I was impressed with it in 308, and I have buddies who I trust who were impressed with it in 338.

neeltburn

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2012
    Tread kinda went off track from the beginning. but, I am more than likley going to make a 338LM a winter project depending on how everything looks. My plan now, is to.

Start project off with Savage 110 HS. Send to the same smith that worked my Model 10 308. https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/class_iii_nfa/233813-savage_model_10fp_gunsmithing_work.html... and have the trigger worked barrel checked, do another 11* crown. etc.

Sell the Factory HS stock and DBM and Go with a Chassis from XLR.
    For optics I think I am going to either the Bushnell XRS 4.5-30 or Nightforce Beast.

IndyND

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 18, 2013
    I am certainly not an expert here but I spent way too much time helping a friend with more money and dreams than range time research this same question. Hands down all of the seemingly informed (actual experienced distance shooters) raved about the quality and 'bang' for the buck you get with the savage. If your heart is set on this caliber and you have a place to appreciate it.

JTinIN

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 13, 2010
    Home Range Richmond
    Got a Sako TRG-42 in 338 LM with most all of the Sako accessories from a friend as part of five year long trade ... later that year he tossed in a Nightforce 5.5x22 scope.

However, the Sako TRG-42 was used (each of the guys that ended up with Desert Tacticals fired one round w/o a scope on it, then I fired round four and five), at which point popped on a 4.5x14 Leupold Mk4 until the Nightforce went on later for a trip to Wyoming and shooting to a mile. Great rifle which shoots 250gr Serrie or Lapua bullets nicely (~ 3/8 MOA) with very little recoil due to the muzzle brake.

Have to decide what you want to use the rifle for as lots of lighter rifles for hunting in the various large 7mm, 300 and 338 calibers. However, the OPs rifle list looks a little biased to prone shooting "Tactical Rifles". In which case the AI or Sako are great choices along with the three friends Desert Tactical taking the node if you are shooting suppressed (another thread in another section ....).

For one of the shoots out west did a spread sheet on the nominal drop at a distance. The 300 Win Mag and the 6mm chambered to use the 105 low drag bullets are interesting, however, need to see the impact to correct when field shooting, which is where the 50 BMG worked nice (in particular with tracer or API ;-).
    Half Inch Plus Cubed
    http://www.issmc.com/50bmg/lrb/index.html
    JBM - Calculations

Trajectory-4500ft-v3a_html_m5b6d4d1b.jpg

neeltburn

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2012
    Got a Sako TRG-42 in 338 LM with most all of the Sako accessories from a friend as part of five year long trade ... later that year he tossed in a Nightforce 5.5x22 scope.

However, the Sako TRG-42 was used (each of the guys that ended up with Desert Tacticals fired one round w/o a scope on it, then I fired round four and five), at which point popped on a 4.5x14 Leupold Mk4 until the Nightforce went on later for a trip to Wyoming and shooting to a mile. Great rifle which shoots 250gr Serrie or Lapua bullets nicely (~ 3/8 MOA) with very little recoil due to the muzzle brake.

Have to decide what you want to use the rifle for as lots of lighter rifles for hunting in the various large 7mm, 300 and 338 calibers. However, the OPs rifle list looks a little biased to prone shooting "Tactical Rifles". In which case the AI or Sako are great choices along with the three friends Desert Tactical taking the node if you are shooting suppressed (another thread in another section ....).

For one of the shoots out west did a spread sheet on the nominal drop at a distance. The 300 Win Mag and the 6mm chambered to use the 105 low drag bullets are interesting, however, need to see the impact to correct when field shooting, which is where the 50 BMG worked nice (in particular with tracer or API ;-).
    Half Inch Plus Cubed
    http://www.issmc.com/50bmg/lrb/index.html
    JBM - Calculations

Trajectory-4500ft-v3a_html_m5b6d4d1b.jpg

This will not be a hunting rifle build, I have plans for that but that is for a different thread. I would say 90% of shooting this rifle will indeed be prone with bipod support. Im not sure I would use it as a match rifle due to the energy and speed the bullet travels, ( most matches will not allow it) I have always like the ballistics of the 338LM with the 300gn Sierra Match kings, and have always wanted a 338 LM now that I can sorta "justify" I am starting to research it out and plan some long range ( no pun intended) plans.

Gordy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2013
    Newton Co.
    I have both the TRG42 and the Savage. Hands down, the Sako is superior. You must get the factory muzzle brake unless you love pain. Frankly, lately I've been shooting the .50BMG because it's cheaper to shoot. Remington has a new .338LM. I haven't seen one yet. I think Savage just wanted to get in the game with a .338 that was cheaper than anything out there....and they did. I've had several TRG's and keep going back to them. Put some good good glass on it and go play.

neeltburn

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2012
    I have both the TRG42 and the Savage. Hands down, the Sako is superior. You must get the factory muzzle brake unless you love pain. Frankly, lately I've been shooting the .50BMG because it's cheaper to shoot. Remington has a new .338LM. I haven't seen one yet. I think Savage just wanted to get in the game with a .338 that was cheaper than anything out there....and they did. I've had several TRG's and keep going back to them. Put some good good glass on it and go play.

If I go with a savage it will be going to my gunsmith before a bullet travels down the bore... It will likely get a SAS 338 can as well

evolution-HD~~element62.jpg

THe XLR Evolution HD Chassis is what I am leaning towards at this time.

With this can http://www.suppressedarmament.com/338-suppressors/vengeance.html

Top Bottom