• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • antiquejd

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2014
    Columbia City
    I have read several posts about converting a 35 Remington to a legal round for hunting deer in Indiana. I was reading another article online and stumbled onto a comparison of a 30-30 and a 32 special in a Marlin 336. It looks feasible to do a similar conversion of a 32 special to be legal in Indiana also with good power and accuracy. Thoughts?

6mm Shoot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    If it's in a rifle it has to be a 358 or bigger diameter bullet for use on deer. 1.8" case is as long as you can go. 32 is smaller, not legal.

If you are talking about a hand gun you could use a 30-30 or a 32 bullet in a necked up 30-30 case. In fact in a hand gun you can go as small as a 6mm bullet on up. That gives you the 243 and all sorts of calibers that would be much better than the old 30-30 or necking it up to 32 caliber.

In a rifle you are limited to the 358 bullet and a case of 1.8". That is if we are talking about Indiana. In Kentucky you can use any center fire 22 caliber or bigger. In Ohio you are still having to use a shotgun with slugs.

Last edited:

antiquejd

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2014
    Columbia City
    Thanks for the reply. I did not realize it had to be 358 diameter. I only understood the 1.8 but greater than 30. Shame because I really liked the gun I was looking at if it would have worked...have to think of a different reason to purchase the gun....

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    Thanks for the reply. I did not realize it had to be 358 diameter. I only understood the 1.8 but greater than 30. Shame because I really liked the gun I was looking at if it would have worked...have to think of a different reason to purchase the gun....

Here is the reason i always use "because one might break".

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Thanks jmarriott, I took your advice and bought the gun. It should be here early next week. Its actually a 1936.

Please post a pic or a few. Those model 36's in 32 speciAl are unique firearms mostly sold on the
    east coast to deer hunters. The 30-30 and then The 35 rem chambering eventually did it 32
    special in. They did make the 32 in the model 336 for many years but eventually it was dropped for
    Slow sales. Many of the model 36 's have custom shop upgrades.

Top Bottom