• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Redhorse

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    Hey everyone!

I went to a gunshow yesterday not really looking to buy anything but when I saw this Blackhawk with a 6.5" barrel, I was intrigued. Only shot a few times and came with the original box and manual from 1986 and I was able to get it for $600; I hope I did well!

I knew I wanted to deer hunt this fall with a handgun and was set to use my dad's .44 mag Blackhawk but I'm more partial to the .357. That and I told myself my new gun needs a purpose so besides sharing it with everyone I was hoping I could get some ideas for hunting loads you all have used. Thanks!

0CE34CCC-89C3-4AA0-BB39-FC14079DA767.jpeg

Last edited:

700 LTR 223

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Nice 357 , always liked the Ruger Single actions. I have a "Liberty" 1976 stainless Blackhawk in 357 also with the 6.5" barrel. Probably the most mild to shoot 357 I have ever owned. Can't give any deer load recommendations as I have never hunted with it. Hope the Blackhawk shoots well for you.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    At today's prices, you didn't get hurt.
    That particular gun looks to have been well taken care of, and not abused.

I've not used my .357mag Blackhawk to hunt deer, but I have taken one with the Hornady LeverEvolution ammo out of a lever action rifle and it worked well.
    My shooting distance was less than 50 yards.

srad

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 22, 2009
    Elkhart/Bristol, IN
    Never taken deer with a .357 pistol; but I've used it successfully with a NEF Handy Rifle II single shot on two deer. Ammo's been Buffalo Bore Outdoorsman 180 gr. hard cast (lead flat-nose). Punches a nice hole through & through. Neither went more than 50 yards.

Muzzle velocity & fpe for different barrel lengths here:

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    I have used Buffalo bore 125 grain lead free on deer. Devastating round from a 4 in barrel M19 S&W. Light recoil Big Bang!

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    My cousin uses 180gr XTP hand loads. He's an avid handgun hunter. He also has a Ruger Blackhawk IIRC he has the 6.5" barrel also.

If you are interested I can get his load data and post it.

Redhorse

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    My cousin uses 180gr XTP hand loads. He's an avid handgun hunter. He also has a Ruger Blackhawk IIRC he has the 6.5" barrel also.

If you are interested I can get his load data and post it.
    That’d be awesome, thank you! I’m wanting to get into handgun hunting also, specifically with revolvers.

Redhorse

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    Never taken deer with a .357 pistol; but I've used it successfully with a NEF Handy Rifle II single shot on two deer. Ammo's been Buffalo Bore Outdoorsman 180 gr. hard cast (lead flat-nose). Punches a nice hole through & through. Neither went more than 50 yards.

Muzzle velocity & fpe for different barrel lengths here:
    I’ve been looking at these and been thinking about them. I read that I actually want the bullet to go through to make a blood trail; is that your experience? I’ve been torn between hollow points for expansion and 180 gr hard cast fir the aforementioned reason.

hans1911

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Sep 10, 2018
    Covington
    Buffalo Bore or Underwood 180gr hardcast w/gas check. They are both flat nose, and hit like a hammer. Great for deer and hogs.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    Hey everyone!
    I went to a gun show yesterday not really looking to buy anything but when I saw this Blackhawk with a 6.5" barrel, I was intrigued. Only shot a few times and came with the original box and manual from 1986 and I was able to get it for $600; I hope I did well!
    I knew I wanted to deer hunt this fall with a handgun and was set to use my dad's .44 mag Blackhawk but I'm more partial to the .357. That and I told myself my new gun needs a purpose so besides sharing it with everyone I was hoping I could get some ideas for hunting loads you all have used. Thanks!
    View attachment 140966
    Beautiful old Blackhawk 6.5" revolver...excellent choice for deer hunting. I have a 5" Ruger GP100 in .357 Magnum that I use...
    Hunting rounds, I prefer Buffalo Bore Ammunition's 180 grain cast or, recently, I've been using Littlestone Ammunition's 180-Grain Cast Performance Wide Flat Nose Gas Check in .357 Magnum. LIttlestone's has a great reloading program too... you can check them both out at:

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    I’ve been looking at these and been thinking about them. I read that I actually want the bullet to go through to make a blood trail; is that your experience? I’ve been torn between hollow points for expansion and 180 gr hard cast fir the aforementioned reason.
    My experience is that hard cast stays together better and, thus, allows it to penetrate deeper!
    Keep in mind that the heavier the animal, the deeper the penetration or wound-channel you'll need in stopping it.
    The bullet doesn't necessarily need to go 'through' per say, it just needs to create a deep wound channel in order to facilitate or to create blood loss...'through' just helps to release the blood outside of the body.
    The longer the barrel the better the bullet performance (velocity) because of the longer powder burn time in creating velocity.
    The heavier grain the bullet, the longer it takes to get it up to speed (velocity) in achieving proper bullet performance.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    That’d be awesome, thank you! I’m wanting to get into handgun hunting also, specifically with revolvers.
    My suggestion is, especially with a new handgun, is to get it out and shoot it enough to become innately efficient with it.
    With a new pistol (semi-auto or revolver) IMO, it usually takes around 300+ rounds for someone to figure out it's shooting characteristics and tendencies...and to see how different bullet grain, JHP vs FMJ, various manufacturer's ammo, etc., function in each particular gun.
    With a single-action revolver, especially a longer-barreled one, a good 100-150 rounds, shot at various distances, will help to define the revolver's shooting characteristics and give you a sufficient feel on how it handles at 25, 50, and 75 yards.
    Just make sure you shoot in different scenarios including 'flat' (cross-country), 'down' (as from in a tree stand), etc., in order to get a better feel for both where the bullet strikes as well as adjustments in aiming, so that you can develop 'compensation' for different situations, if needed.
    Half the fun is in the 'learnin'...

Redhorse

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    My suggestion is, especially with a new handgun, is to get it out and shoot it enough to become innately efficient with it.
    With a new pistol (semi-auto or revolver) IMO, it usually takes around 300+ rounds for someone to figure out it's shooting characteristics and tendencies...and to see how different bullet grain, JHP vs FMJ, various manufacturer's ammo, etc., function in each particular gun.
    With a single-action revolver, especially a longer-barreled one, a good 100-150 rounds, shot at various distances, will help to define the revolver's shooting characteristics and give you a sufficient feel on how it handles at 25, 50, and 75 yards.
    Just make sure you shoot in different scenarios including 'flat' (cross-country), 'down' (as from in a tree stand), etc., in order to get a better feel for both where the bullet strikes as well as adjustments in aiming, so that you can develop 'compensation' for different situations, if needed.
    Half the fun is in the 'learnin'...
    Thank you for the education! I have about 100 light load reloads I can shoot to get started with; hopefully I can come up with more to get a good idea where it’s shooting!

From what I’m gathering 180 gr hard cast looks like the consensus choice. I was leaning that way to start with so I think that’s the best choice. Thanks again everyone! Your experience and expertise is always appreciated.

Top Bottom