• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KimberCarry

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Indianapolis. IN
    I have a S&W 656 w/8" barrel I want to try it next or this year on deer. I thinking within 50 to 60 yards. Anybody have any ideas on bullets? Factory or reloads would be fine. I'm going to start researching this just wanted to hear any ideas. Thanks:dunno:

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    I think that if I were going to be using that on deer, I would take a serious look at the Hornady LeveRevolution ammo as a factory option. It is supposed to give good expansion at low and high velocities as well as shoot fairly flat due to a higher BC.

ARGarrison

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2008
    Indiana, of course
    I'll also say Hornady, but mix it up a bit. Hornady's 180gr JHP/XTP.

I've only shot one deer with a .357 magnum. I had planned on using a handloaded Hornady 180gr load, but never found/got time to test it. Fell back on my carry load at the time Remington Golden Saber 125gr BJHP. That is the only deer that ever moved closer to me after it was shot! It also went down faster than any deer I'd hit before or since, that includes .50 cal muzzle loaders, rifled slugs and sabot slugs from a 12 gauge.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    Georgia Arms has a .357 158gr Gold Dot load that is specifically made for whitetail deer they call their "deer stopper." The muzzle velocity is 1475 ft/s from a 6 inch barrel.

Georgia Arms - .357 MAG

From the kind of performance I'm used to seeing out of the Gold Dot line of bullets, I wouldn't hesitate for a second to use one on deer.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Yep! The jacket is bonded to the core, so it won't separate when it passes through something. That means you'll retain virtually all of the bullet's mass in one piece for better penetration. The expand nicely as well, and at 1475 (probably more for an 8 inch gun), they will get adequate penetration and full expansion in almost all cases.

They'd make a good people stopper too. I have a box for my 4 inch 686 in case I ever go deer hunting or in case I need to use my .357 for something "serious."

KimberCarry

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Indianapolis. IN
    Thanks for all the good info!! I hunt family property in Kentucky. Most of the shots are 100 to 150 yrds. I do have a nice place were the deer are forced between a rock wall and creek. I'm going to set up there and the max range would be 50 yrds. For the 100 to 150 yrd shots I use 257. Roberts,270 or my Omaga 50. Cal smoke pole.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    For handloading: Hornady 180gr XTP, Gas Checked 180 gr. hard lead.

Off the Shelf: Hornady Lever Poly tip or Federal Fusion 158gr. Flat nose soft points.

I took a deer with my old Smith 13 with the Fed Fusions, 4 steps, then drop. Good round and relatively inexpensive.

Top Bottom