• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rjhans53

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 24, 2009
    I am thinking about picking up a barrel for my encore and even though the "limited rifle calibers" is no more I am hoping to pick up some
    information On loads and velocities. The bullet most used and most effective. I'm also looking at comparing the 357 max to the new 350 legend
    that winchester just came out with. thanks in advance

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    There has been extensive testing done by several different folks and it has been determined that AA1680 is THE powder, and that bullets weighing less than 200 grains are the way to go. When Hornady was still making the 180gr Single-Shot Specialty pistol bullet, those were the way to go. Another very good option, for the ranges in question, is a hard-cast, gas-checked, LBT in the 185 grain range.

The 350 Legend uses a proprietary case design (head is significantly larger than a standard 223) and headspaces on the mouth, making reloading for it a rather critical affair. Personally, I find neither one of these to be particularly interesting, knowing that the 35 Remington has none of the associated issues, will hold enough powder to drive the readily-available 200gr FTX bullet at sufficient speed, and requires just 1/8th of an inch be trimmed off to make it legal on public land.

In other words, save yourself the aggravation and get a 35 Remington barrel...it has everything you're wanting, but none of the challenges. Also, if you go that route, let me know...I make 35 Remington cases out of 303 British that allow you to step things up a bit, in terms of velocity.

bstewrat3

Master
    Rating - 100%
    142   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Beech Grove
    I will second the recommendation of the 35 Remington and making it from a rimmed case, but I use 30-40 Krag brass. I have tried both extremes in public land deer cartridges and in my experience the 35 Remington has everything I need.

Top Bottom