• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dw357

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2008
    I have an older Dan Wesson 357 that has a 2 inch and 6 inch barrel. My 2 inch shoots as well as a 2 inch barrel can shoot, but with the 6 inch barrel it shoots a couple feet low. I think the spacing between the cylinder and the barrel might not have been perfect, but I fixed that although I have not shot it since then. Would the space between the barrel and cylinder being to close throw the shot off that drastically, or should I try a different ammo. I think the stuff I have now is American Eagle flat nose. The box is red with a black eagle and yellow lettering.

Hiram2005

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Plains of Hamilton County
    Your barrel/cylinder gap should be set around .008 as a medium. No more than .010. I think I am saying that right! Also if you have adjustable sights you may have to readjust for the longer barrel.

dw357

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2008
    I have a gauge for the space, but I think the barrel moved when I tightened it down for the last time.

jimbo-indy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    N.W. Indy
    I doubt if cylinder gap would effect point of impact that much unless it was extremely far off. The 6" barrel will supply more muzzle weight, therefore less muzzle flip. This will cause it to print a little lower. Using lighter bullets will tend to make any pistol print lower. Heavier bullets print higher. Again, due to the effect of recoil.
    Recommend you either: A) Install a shorter sight on the 6" barrel. This will tack trial and error to find the correct height OR B) sight in the gun with each barrel and record the amount of adjustment change between the two barrels so you can dial in the correct rear sight elevation when changing barrels.

jimbo-indy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    N.W. Indy
    Remember, the heaver bullet will make both barrels shoot higher. To even them out, use light bullets in the short barrel and heavy ones in the 6" Otherwise, you will need to shorten the front sight on the 6" by experiment, file a little of, shoot, file some more, etc. till you get it up to the same point of aim as the short barrel. Then refinish where you filed.
    Good Luck.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    thatjimboguy
    Top Bottom