• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JMWetzel89

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    Good luck with this. My 358 BFG is based off of 243 wssm brass and I haven't been able to find any. If anyone has a source for that or recipes for 1.62 358 BFG. I would appreciate it. Sorry for the high jack

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Two different scenarios: The BFG is based on a relatively limited parent cartridge that is quickly going the way of the dodo bird. Time to ream that out to the 1.8" version. WSM brass is way easier to find.

The OP just need to run 358 Winchester brass through a sizing die and then trim. Worst case scenario, you buy some 308 Winchester brass and maybe a 338 Federal die for an intermediate step. You could probably get tapered expander dies for each step, as well. Imperial Sizing Die wax is your best friend.

Widetracker

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2012
    In my case I can use 308 brass. But if I could buy it already sized and trimmed that would save me a lot of time.

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    It looks like Graf & son has Hornadys 358 Winchester brass in stock.

The problem with using 308 or 30-06 brass is you will have to ream the necks after forming..

JMWetzel89

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    Sorry I was unaware of the differences. Since I got the rifle brass has been almost nonexistent. I love the rifle and got a great deal on it. I just wish the brass was available. I have 40 pieces. Hopefully that lasts be reloaded until I find some.

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    With the 358 Winchester brass you just run them through your sizer die and do a lenght trim. Easy peasy..
    Reaming or outside cutting of necks is a little more involved.

If i owned a wildcat and the parent case was hard to get, when it was available I would buy at least a few hundred.
    At least a few hundred.
    As cartridge's go buy the wayside brass gets harder to find and more expensive. Look at brass like 218 Bee brass, it has gone from 21 bucks a bag to 50 bucks a bag ( when you can find it ) in a few short years.
    And if down the road you don't need the brass, it will be easy to sell.

Last edited:

RipkinC

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 14, 2013
    Indy
    At Profire we used once fired winchester brass that was cut off like you do blackout with a chop saw, resized in a 338 hoosier die, trimmed to final length on a hand trimmer (with drill attachment) than loaded accordingly. Its very time consuming but we did not have much of a problem up-sizing the neck area in the standard form die as long as it was well lubed inside and out. Fired Hornady brass works in some guns, fired 338win works in some too.
    The main problem is brass thickness hence new brass does not work in most guns because the chambers are too tight.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    At Profire we used once fired winchester brass that was cut off like you do blackout with a chop saw, resized in a 338 hoosier die, trimmed to final length on a hand trimmer (with drill attachment) than loaded accordingly. Its very time consuming but we did not have much of a problem up-sizing the neck area in the standard form die as long as it was well lubed inside and out. Fired Hornady brass works in some guns, fired 338win works in some too.
    The main problem is brass thickness hence new brass does not work in most guns because the chambers are too tight.

What is a 338 Hoosier die? Also, what is "fired 338win"? Did you mean 338 Federal?

Are you saying you shortened and necked up 308 Win brass and didn't have to ream or turn the necks?

HuntMeister

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 21, 2010
    What is a 338 Hoosier die? Also, what is "fired 338win"? Did you mean 338 Federal?

Are you saying you shortened and necked up 308 Win brass and didn't have to ream or turn the necks?

Depends on what reamer version was used to make the chamber. My current rifle chamber was cut from a later version reamer that AJ Brown has. Basically this reamer has a slightly larger diameter and longer neck to allow for some variances in the thickness of the brass and affords me some room when using the Barnes bullets. Military brass is still a no go.
    I do not have to turn necks on the WW or Rem commercial 308 brass. Just trim, run through the 358 Hoosier die and then a final trim and I am done.
    This current barrel of mine is the 2nd one. The first one was cut with an older reamer and I did have issues with commercial brass and had to turn the necks to get the cases to chamber. Just a thought, if you have a chamber cut by an older reamer, AJ Brown may be able to open it up with the newer reamer.

btmidwest

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    I ordered 4 packs around the time of my post, pre cut & formed 50 cases last weekend. Got my rifle back Friday and have been using that brass this weekend. Just saying... I don't know where the confusion is. Regards,

RipkinC

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 14, 2013
    Indy

Sorry I ment 358 win
    And yes with Winchester.308 brass that has beed fired, not new you can get 99% success with by sizing in .308 die, than trimming to rough length with a chop-saw, like 300aac is done from .223, than size in a 38 hoosier die, do final trimming on the trimmer of your choice, than load.

Top Bottom