• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • UncleNorby

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 24, 2012
    Near South Bend, IN
    I'm thinking about making some cases for the Hoosier from 358 Winchester. This is cheaper than buying them pre-formed by someone else. The first step is to remove about 0.2" of length. I do have a hand-powered trimmer, but I'm wondering what other options there are to quickly remove this much brass. I recall (quite a few years ago) seeing a die made for trimming that was used in combination with a hacksaw or a similar saw. Are those still around? Other options? Thanks.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Trim dies cost $$$, especially custom ones. If all you want to do is go faster, then try a Lee case length gauge and cutter for the .358 Win. Cut off a bit of the tip that goes through the flash hole, and chuck it in a drill press. Set the case on the table of the drill press. When the tip hits the table of the drill press, stop, don't use too much pressure. Use the slowest speed on you drill press.

The tip can wear somewhat rapidly if you're doing a lot of cases, so be aware, especially if you use a lot of pressure on the press handle. If you're not doing a ton of cases you should be fine though.

When you cut a bit off the tip, make the length so as to leave the cases a touch long and then finish them up in your hand trimmer.

You could cut the tip of the Lee case length gage to make the cases exactly 1.790" (0.010" less than legal length, so you don't have to trim every time you reload), but if the tip wears, then you'll end up being shorter than ideal length.

If the cut tip then becomes too short to reach the table without the mandrel hitting the web of the case head, then you'll need to just lop off the whole end of the mandrel and just leave the shaft of the mandrel, and use the drill press depth stop to get the length you want.

Last edited:

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    When I formed a bunch of 30 Herrett cases, which require cutting a lot of brass off, I used a high-speed cut-off wheel on a pivot, with a small clamp to hold the case. That would get 'em to within ~.020" and a hand-trimmer was used from there. I'm not sure I would bother for .200".

Top Bottom