• vernw

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 8, 2015
    Dallas now born Indy
    Geez, adding even more to my confusion level LOL

Thanks for taking the time to reply!

My latest IN legal deer rifle is a Rem 700 converted to single shot that uses a 325 WSM parent caseopened up to 35 caliber that has a 0.225" long neck at the max 1.8" case length. Spits Barnes 180 gr TTSX boolit a little over 3000fps but not consistently grouping under an inch at 100 yards yet.

Have no idea what to call that one, but since the 24" (with comp) long heavy barrel weighs in a 16 pounds with the Eliminator III scope I just call the whole rig "Kong" LOL

6mm Shoot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    That is one heavy rifle. I assume that you are shooting from a stand or some such. I can't see hauling that through the woods all day. 3000 FPS sounds like a hot round for a 358 bullet. That is faster than 358 Norma Magnum.

Back to the OPs question. The 358 Hoosier was built taking .2" out of the 358 Winchester round. The 358 Winchester, 260 Remington, and the 243 Winchester all use the 308 case necked up or down depending on what you intend to use it for. The 358 Hoosier was built by A J Brown Arms.

Because of the Indiana deer hunting laws there have been all sorts of rounds created using 358 bullets and cutting down cases to 1.8". One is called the Gremlin. It is hard to remember all the names. One is made from cutting down the 350 Remington magnum.

Most of the wild catting has proven that we can beat some of the older rounds by making them shorter and using less powder. The 358 Hoosier will preform as well as the 358 Winchester with a .2" shorter case.

vernw

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 8, 2015
    Dallas now born Indy
    Excellent and informative reply, thank-you very much! The 358 Hoosier description on ammoguide.com says it's based on a WSM case but the info falls a bit short from my experience. Again, thanks for the reply!

Top Bottom