• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tgmorris99

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 17, 2011
    Westfield
    Are you asking why the factory would leave the air-gap?

Or why I would suggest adding more insulation?

I'm going to assume the first. It's purely cost-based. When they test these safes they set the flat on a floor and blast a fire at the front, back, sides, and top. The bottom doesn't get blasted by the fire. Their only interest is getting the safe to pass the test and therefore they don't worry too much about insulating the bottom more than one sheet. For an application where this is sitting flat on a solid concrete floor (as in their test) it's not a problem. However, if you put this in a 2nd story, there is a chance that a fire in the basement will be able to heat the bottom of the safe. That's a problem. The air-gap may help a bit with moisture but I'm not seeing how it really could make much difference.
    I would think that if the safe is on a floor or two above the basement and the bottom of the safe is seeing flames that it's a fair bet that the safe will wind up in the basement at some point. Curious if it's rated for a 1-2 story drop when loaded? ;)

I'd definitely be interested in getting one of these if I could afford one at the present time.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    So whats everyone use for a ammo safe? I already have a gun safe

Right now I have it in my closet that was going to be my gun storage area before I bought this safe. Now I am thinking I will store it in my former gun storage unit that have been using.

BTW, what is the issue with storing ammo in your gun safe?

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Okay, I see. So I am okay if I set in on my first story slab foundation.
    Yeah, you should be fine, as a matter of fact, the cooler concrete may help draw some heat out of the safe (negligible amounts most likely).

I would think that if the safe is on a floor or two above the basement and the bottom of the safe is seeing flames that it's a fair bet that the safe will wind up in the basement at some point. Curious if it's rated for a 1-2 story drop when loaded? ;)

I'd definitely be interested in getting one of these if I could afford one at the present time.
    I wouldn't be so sure of that. Depending on the structure of the home it is very possible for the flooring to burn away while the joists will still support the weight. In older homes especially, the joists are large, rough sawn, native hardwoods and the flooring is thinner hardwood flooring boards. These thinner boards will burn away much faster than the joists will leaving the bottom of your safe exposed to flames and sitting right on hot coals. If, in the event it does fall through the joists, it's still better than nothing to have that extra insulation in there just in case it makes it through the fall intact. An extra 2' X 2-1/2' piece of drywall is extremely cheap insurance IMHO, especially if you have a bunch of it laying around like I do...

Baditude

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 2, 2011
    SE Indianapolis
    Right now I have it in my closet that was going to be my gun storage area before I bought this safe. Now I am thinking I will store it in my former gun storage unit that have been using.

BTW, what is the issue with storing ammo in your gun safe?

If you have a fire, temps can cause it to go off or so I have read. I keep important documents in my gun safe that can not be easily replaced.

After hearing about the house fire not long ago where they had ammo in a closet that was going off, I need to come up with a better solution.

EOD Guy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 8, 2012
    Carroll County
    I got the last one at the Avon store on Sunday. Had a little dent so they took off an additional $150. With the rebates and discount, mine was $350 + tax. They did say the Camby store had 13 but that was Sunday.

XDJohnnyc

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    i just got mine delivered yesterday...to bad i can't play with it for a few more weeks. waiting to unwrap it till i get it in my new place.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    If you have a fire, temps can cause it to go off or so I have read. I keep important documents in my gun safe that can not be easily replaced.

After hearing about the house fire not long ago where they had ammo in a closet that was going off, I need to come up with a better solution.
    It its hot enough to cook ammo off in your safe everything else in the safe is already a total loss and it's not going to matter.

Mounty09

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    Noblesville
    I was talking to one of my firefighter friends about gun safes in house fires. He said that if you tell the fire department where the safe is located at in the house that they will try and keep spraying that area with water to try and keep it cool.

~Jeff~

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    If anyone is interested the Fort Wayne west store still has at least one of these. I saw it today when I was in there, at the very back of the store by one of the garage doors. Not by the other gun safes.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    I was talking to one of my firefighter friends about gun safes in house fires. He said that if you tell the fire department where the safe is located at in the house that they will try and keep spraying that area with water to try and keep it cool.
    Thats always good to know. With that in mind, it's probably a good idea to keep it near an exterior wall as well so they can keep that area really cool.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Got mine moved into my house today. It wasn't easy, but it's in. One thing I am going to do is re-make the top board that the rifles lay against. The "scallops" that are cut into the board are really tight. They do that so they can call it a 36-gun safe.

I am going to make the scallops larger to that I have enough to hold mine and keep them from touching each other. I don't have much, so one side should hold them and I will use the shelves on the other side for other stuff.

Edit: Decided to get Rifle Rods instead of remaking the holders.

Last edited:

Clearwat

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 10, 2009
    I picked one up this evening in Camby. Thanks to all for the heads up. I only got the 11% off of the $599. But still a good deal nonetheless. Now to get it out of my van..... I did not see anymore in the loading area, but there might be more somewhere.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I picked one up this evening in Camby. Thanks to all for the heads up. I only got the 11% off of the $599. But still a good deal nonetheless. Now to get it out of my van..... I did not see anymore in the loading area, but there might be more somewhere.

Did you get the $100 rebate? They have the forms up by the service desk.

davidj60

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2012
    At my local Menards, while we were getting a phone number to ask questions, I noticed on the computer screen that the 100 rebate ended 1/31.

Top Bottom