• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Electronrider

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    White County
    Well, I figured I would follow up on my adventures reloading .380. I have 8 different headstamps in enough quantity to run them all through a load workup.

I am using Hogdgon tightgroup, 90gr fmj bullet, and CCI small pistol primers. After checking my 2 load books, and doing some poking around online, I have decided I will run 3 loads, and see how they all function with each headstamp. I am going with 2.6, 2.8, and 3.0 gr. The 3.0 is at the higher end, so I will be watching this pretty close. I am doing 20 rounds of each load with each headstamp, I am also going to use my chronograph, as it is still a new toy to me.

Crimping seems more like an art than a science, I have worked the crimp down to being almost the same width as the case itself. I ran some test crimped loads through both my handguns about a half a dozen times, to see if I get any setback, and I get none. I pulled a few of the test crimps to see if I was crunching down on the bullet itself, and saw no evidence of that as well. Hopefully I have a sweet spot.

This is my first cartridge I am reloading on my new Dillon 550, and man o man, what a nice machine this is turning out to be. The powder charge is staying within .1 out of all the times I did an inspection weight, the seating die is staying very consistent as well. Sure is a world of difference from my RCBS single stage I had setup.

Top Bottom