• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ctbreitwieser

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    DuCo.
    I went out to test some .38spl loads I put together for my H&R .357. I bought this gun used and it was already reamed to .357maximum. I encountered problem after problem after problem trying to shoot these things.

My my loads consisted of 5 each, of 125gr berrys flat point over 5.4-6.8gr of Power Pistol with Winchester SPP.

5 of the rounds would not fire at all. 3 of them finally fired after turning the case 180* in the chamber. My primers are all indented but the indentation is hitting in the 9 o'clock position on the primer. Some them I rotated 5 times and they still wouldn't fire. Of the ones that did fire, all of them are severely burnt on the the cases. To the point that I can't even wipe it off. They almost look color case hardened. I've never had any issues with my loads at all, and I'm not sure where to begin. I don't know if it's the gun or the ammo.

Where should i start?

upchurch67

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    I think something went wrong when the chamber got reamed. I would try those rounds in a different gun. And also try some factory rounds in that gun. That will identify if the problem is the gun or the ammunition.

Classic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Madison County
    Primer strikes are way off center - that might account for failure to ignite.

If the gun is punched out to 357 Max you might want to try 357 Max brass. The shorter 38 Sp. may be letting some of the gas get back around as the case contracts after firing.

TexasRedneck

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2009
    Texas - where else?<G>
    I have NO (ZERO) background with this cartridge, but I'm going to say that loading out a .38 special to .357 Maximum loads is something I'd not do. If I'm using a .38 spl case, I'm going to load to .38 spl specs. The .357 Max cartridge itself is significantly longer than the .38 - and that is likely going to result in some compacting of the powder. IMO, you dodged a problem.

Again - this is JUST my opinion after a little quick research on the two rounds.

UPDATE - when I do "quick and dirty" research like this, I prefer to leave my initial thoughts in place, just to prove I *CAN* be wrong.<G> Further research shows this is done routinely, and across several sites that I *trust* no warnings of problems showed up - so, my initial thoughts were WRONG.<sigh> Dirty case comments DID come up, and seems to be fairly common. The one thing you MIGHT check for is whether the ID of the chambers is within spec. You said they'd been rebored - I'm wondering if the proper size was achieved.

On the primers.....man, none of those look like you should have had an issue. I'm assuming that the case was sufficiently filled with the powder you're using, so the only thing I can think of are some bad primers. What brand are they, and how old?

ctbreitwieser

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    DuCo.
    When I bought the gun he gave me some loaded .357max. I shout roughly 10 of them and they all fired just fine, however the primer is struck off center. I have not shot any factory ammo through it, but I did shoot 10 rounds of .38 that I had loaded earlier. They shot just just fine but the cases were still burnt.

Im im not sure why I would have bad primers, they are all stored in my basement with a dehumidifier running 24/7 in my loading room.

Farmritch

Expert
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    OC
    Look likes bad primers to me those are good strikes
    Looks also like the ones that fired were a bit light and did not expand to seal the chamber

ctbreitwieser

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    DuCo.
    Ok. Just went in the basement and grabbed 8 random cases that I've already primed. Stuck them in the gun and 2 of the 8 would not fire.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I would get one of the 38 cases and check to see if it can move forward at all from the face. Everything in this gun is going to head space off of the rim, do the maximum cases as well. When you close the action do you experience a little resistance with the maximum that you don't get with the 38 special?

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    When I bought the gun he gave me some loaded .357max. I shout roughly 10 of them and they all fired just fine, however the primer is struck off center. I have not shot any factory ammo through it, but I did shoot 10 rounds of .38 that I had loaded earlier. They shot just just fine but the cases were still burnt.

Im im not sure why I would have bad primers, they are all stored in my basement with a dehumidifier running 24/7 in my loading room.

P M box is full ..... YES .....

Top Bottom