• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I'm looking at getting a Lincoln with the 4.6 DOHC. Are there any issues that I need to look for/know about? Thanks!
    If it is the aluminum engine with the Italian made casting, I understand the things are nearly indestructible and will hold approximately 900 hp if you are planning on building it up. Of course they wear over time like anything else. Front wheel drive and rear wheel drive blocks are NOT interchangeable. (And I can't remember if the transverse Contenintal version was available as DOHC or not).

I researched this several years ago for a project I never got around to trying and don't remember turning up anything alarming from people or reference sources, but I certainly wouldn't recommend hanging your hat on my nondiscovery of problem issues.

GLOCKMAN23C

Resident Dumbass II
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    S.E. Indy
    This will be in a Mark VIII, so RWD. It is the cobra aluminum engine. I haven't found anything that really sticks out.

Bugzilla

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2021
    DeMotte
    Had a MK VIII. Only issue I had was the cooling fan went out, added an aftermarket one, and the engineering cluster of where they put the thermostat. Was a bear to purge the air out of the cooling system. Mechanically the engine was good.

Bighoss91

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 14, 2020
    Milton
    If there well maintained the only thing is the timing chain guides get worn around 150-175k. It more noise than an impeding doom thing. They are no fun to work on but not really worse than most other cars of the era.

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.9%
    90   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    If there well maintained the only thing is the timing chain guides get worn around 150-175k. It more noise than an impeding doom thing. They are no fun to work on but not really worse than most other cars of the era.
    Sounds about right. My daily is an '03 Marauder, and they have the DOHC engine. Mine jumped the sprockets at 164k and caused me to get it rebuilt. She's got 212K now and back to running good... most days. (it's still an 18 year old car) A lot of the Marauder guys go after the Navigators when they loose their engines... They are RPM machines. No torque down low, but they like to rev. They do real good in the Mustangs, and pretty good in the Marauders. Not sure how well they do in a heavy Navigator... (Navigator version is bigger displacement though) Didn't even know they came in a MK VIII. Should be close to a Marauder I guess in performance, depending on gearing. The Marauders come with a 3.55 gear, but a lot of guys put a 4.10 in them.

Last edited:

Bugzilla

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2021
    DeMotte
    I actually like my Fusion with the 2.0 as much as the MK VIII. Seems like as good performance and comfort with better mpg. Still give the MK VIII better styling. Years ahead of it’s time.

Top Bottom