• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sling10mm

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2012
    .22LR to 50 BMG! I dont care what it is, I dont want shot by any of them.

^^This^^

A wise man once told me "It's not hitting something that's important, it's hitting something important that's important.

Carry whatever you like and are proficient with. I like to carry a 10mm Auto in the colder months, and a 40 S&W when it is warmer. I just feel better about the 10's ability to penetrating ghetto armor.

askeen289

Plinker
    Rating - 85.7%
    6   1   0
    Apr 24, 2013
    I like the .40. When I got my first pistol many years ago I ended up with a Glock 23. I haven't regretted either. Again I think it goes back to personal preference and my preference is the .40

INGrandad

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    In the current craziness, what's the general availabilty of .40 ammo vs. the 9? Off the shelf that is.

Chewie

Old, Tired, Grumpy, Skeptical
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Martinsville
    I have an 8th grade education. And a High School education (back when that meant something). And a B.S. And a MBA. I own a Glock. 9mm.

Coool......But did you stay at a Holiday Inn Express??
    Obviously not....You own a Glock and it's a 9mm :rockwoot::rockwoot::rockwoot:

You like what you like and tho I may not agree do you really care? (I doubt it) and that's the way it's supposed to be!

infinititech

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    I love .40 cal. I carry a .40 and buy all of them I can. My buddy is the best shooter i have ever seen and always told me its got punch like 45 with accuracy of 9mm, best of both worlds. I do like others as well

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    To each his own. At least I'm not carrying a 10mm. :D

For your bait, I get another reason to post this:

10mm-2.jpg

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    I love the .40. Many reasons to disparage it, but in general: I like it's performance on barriers (both documented and fun shoots), it's usually still on the shelf during panics (this being the exception, but the first ammo back on the shelf is generally .40).

.40s can be dropped down to 9mm with proper conversion barrels and mags (Yeay Glox!). I can load them down to mild levels or locking block breaking violence!

Being a "newer" round, I have yet to see (only a handful) of JHP loads that don't expand. Compare that to 9mm where there are still MANY loads (particularly in cheapo bulk ammo) that don't expand. In my personal horsing around with gelatin, even the lowly Remmy Express .40 expands and goes 12" unobstructed (granted, meh performance against glass though, lol). Could not get the 9mm Express stuff to expand, even when driving it from a 5" barrel. The designs out there seem to be newer and designed to actually do it to it.

Finally, with 180 gr stuff (including factory loads) feels like warmly loaded 9mm to me. Yes, yes, physics and etc... but in my hands, the felt recoil difference is negligable. It's the violent 155 or 165 gr stuff you have the "snap" with it.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I was late to the game in getting a .40 S&W gun, but it's become my preferred carry gun now. I avoided the caliber for a long time because it just did not sound appealing. My thought was that it was an attempt to put more power into a 9mm sized frame with the result being a gun that did not shoot as well as the 9mm or hit as hard as a .45. Now that I've started shooting and reloading in .40, it's become one of my favorite rounds to shoot. My daily carry gun went from a CZ 75 Compact to a Glock 23 or a Glock 27.

Right now, I think the Glock 23 hits the sweet spot in terms of size, weight, capacity and caliber. It's an easy gun to shoot well and will make an impact on whatever you hit with it. As much as I hate to admit it, my CZs and 1911s are quickly becoming range guns with the Glocks taking over for carry.

pinshooter45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Hey I am no-discriminatory on my calibers I love my .32 acp, my 9mm, my S&W M&P .40 and my Colt .45 . I love them all as long as they go bang each time I squeeze the trigger!

Top Bottom