• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tamara

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Broad Ripple, near t
    Apparently lots of folks around here haven't read much by Elmer Keith.

All his books, and done a fair amount of long-range handgun shooting at distant targets myself; I think it's about the most fun one can have with a pistol.

There's a big difference between busting dirt clods for recreation and making and making reliably accurate long range shots on dirt clods that shoot back. (To say nothing of the trajectory differences between an 800fps round and one moving half again as fast or better...)

JBI812

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jan 28, 2012
    East side Indianapol
    I saw a shot like that in a cowboy movie. The guy shot a horse rider about about that distance and got-em. I think it must have been a Colt 44 with 5 1/2" barrel.

Tamara

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Broad Ripple, near t
    Some folks ought to go to an IHMSA big bore match and watch how some of the better shooters work over the rams at 200 m :)
    1) Yeah, 'cause a steel ram at 200m and a jihadi with a DShK at 650 yards are EXACTLY the same thing.

2) When I look at my T/C Encore and my 1911s, I can see a few noticeable differences.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    1) Yeah, 'cause a steel ram at 200m and a jihadi with a DShK at 650 yards are EXACTLY the same thing.

2) When I look at my T/C Encore and my 1911s, I can see a few noticeable differences.
    Hell bring the jihadi up to 250 with that DShK and let him try his chance at you and let's see what happens with the guys calm that hit Rams at that range... ;)

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest

No, but there are tricks to having a proper sight alignment- possibly high front sight in rear notch, point of tangent aiming point, etc.

Folks clanging above center for strong topple, repeatedly with iron sighted wheelguns is pretty cool. And it's along the lines of the Elmer stuff you commented on ;)

The average tacticool 3 dot plastic shorty 40 folks might not know how popping things at D is done. The 1911 pistol in question web lit shows a high rear sight, damn high. And they talk of cross marks on the front blade like Elmer had, and holding the front sight even higher for the supposed 650 stuff.

The principle is sound, but the short sight radius and other mech issues might be a bit overpowering on the effect ;)

Really, hitting things at 400 or more, probably means one is pretty consistent at shorter, like maybe 200. Hmmmmmmmmmmm.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    IHMSA may be a geezer sport, but it does take some shooting skill.

I'd expect the uber tacticools to shoot no less than AAA (standing, open sights) first go around :)

After all its boring ol' steel, stationary and low stress.

FWIW extinguishing a BG at 650 I think to demand a rifle, not a pistol.

Was just offering some info to those who prev thought shooting handguns at some farther ranges to be odd, when there's a sport actually for it.

Tamara

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Broad Ripple, near t
    No, but there are tricks to having a proper sight alignment- possibly high front sight in rear notch, point of tangent aiming point, etc.

Folks clanging above center for strong topple, repeatedly with iron sighted wheelguns is pretty cool. And it's along the lines of the Elmer stuff you commented on ;)
    I wouldn't know. I only ever used guns like my .243 Encore and 8 3/8" 586 for run'n'gun "tacticool 3 dot plastic shorty 40" shooting at 7 yards.

People who only do one kind of shooting confuse me. ;)

Top Bottom