• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • EdC

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 12, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    Well, I've been giving a lot of thought to acquiring an N Frame in .44 or .41 magnum. I would like a classic Smith, and almost bought a .44 magnum classic, blued and walnut grips (4" bbl. so I carry it, if I want to. While I was deliberating the purchase over a couple of days (and waiting for my State Tax refund), the vendor sold out, which made the decision for me.

Now I'm looking at a Model 58, .41 magnum, blued, 4" bbl. Actually, it looks like it will fit my hand better, and doggone it, it's a beautiful, classic looking piece. It's pricey, but beautiful.

It will really give me a reason to actually start re-loading, as the ammo is not cheap.

I would be interested in hearing from any .41 magnum owners, and your thoughts on this gun, pros/cons, etc.

Thanks.

direland

Marksman
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Martinsville, IN
    I have my Dads 41 Smith that he bought in 1972 when he moved to Idaho. Killed 3 Bears & a Moose. The gun is still near perfect and shoots well. It is the only wheel gun I have and don't see the need to get anything else.

marshallartist

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Brownsburg
    I had one and sold it when I got laid off a few years ago. I kick myself every time I think about it. It was more of a "safe queen" than anything else. Too pretty to subject it to the outside world. Very accurate and powerful. Unfortunately like you said it's an expensive beast to feed. Between it and my 10mm I was convinced to take up reloading. Of all the guns I've ever gotten rid of it's the one I miss the most.

Jeremiah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Avilla, IN
    I like the .41 and have a M57 6", I really want a 3" M657, and a Dan wesson model 715, last I looked gander mountain had a minty M85 for $587ish I really will kick myself in 10 years for not buying it.

blitzen25cat

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    south east indiana
    I have a Model 57 no dash and would never trade or sell it. I have a Model 629 but prefer the Model 57. I reload for both so ammo is not really that big of a deal. The 41mag is a nice intermediate round between the .357 and .44 mag. You will enjoy either the Model 57 or 58. Both are great revolvers. Best regards Dick:patriot:

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 23, 2009
    Brainardland
    I've had a M57 4" for years as a favorite carry gun.

I carry a 29 now because I discovered that my better half enjoys camping, and if we go out west I want a sidearm that I can load with bear-killers. Right now it's loaded with Specials for bipedal predators.

The Model 58 was intended for the LEO market, which was what Elmer Keith had in mind for the .41Mag, but it went over like a lead balloon.

58's are relatively rare compared to other "N" frames. Hang onto them.

686 Shooter

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Huntington County
    I had never owned a .41 Magnum until this year, wished I would have bought one sooner. I own a few N-frame Smiths, the model 57 and my 3" model 29 seem to be my favorites.

6ACACA2F-orig.jpg

78DDF7D8-orig-1.jpg

686 Shooter

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Huntington County
    How much better is the recoil on the .41 in comparison to the .44? If you had a choice between firing the .41 Mag and the .44 Special which would you choose and why?

The .41 Magnum was designed to fall between the .357 magnum and the .44 magnum and it does just that, recoil included. If given the choice of the .41 and .44, I would choose the .44. There is a broader range of ammo choices and frankly, a bigger selection of guns. I've been shooting .44 for over 30 years, I am comfortable with it. There is nothing wrong with the .41, it just never earned the market share that so many people think that it deserved.

Jeremiah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Avilla, IN
    The .41 Magnum was designed to fall between the .357 magnum and the .44 magnum and it does just that, recoil included. If given the choice of the .41 and .44, I would choose the .44. There is a broader range of ammo choices and frankly, a bigger selection of guns. I've been shooting .44 for over 30 years, I am comfortable with it. There is nothing wrong with the .41, it just never earned the market share that so many people think that it deserved.

Whats cool about the .41 is you can acheive about 95% of the power of a 44 mag with lower reloading cost, higher sectional density, and flatter trajectory.

most of the .44 mag loads that out power the high end .41 aren't safe in anything but a ruger supreredhawk or similar overbuilt pistol. the advantage to the .44 comes if you want a lever action carbine or rifle. you could buy a .44 mag revolver, lever gun, and lee hand press for the cost of one .41 mag lever gun.

on the oposite side you can load down to nearly .38 wadcutter type recoil.

John Wayne

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Ive got a Ruger Red Hawk 7 1/2" .41 mag purchased this gun about twenty years ago and have never once thought bout parting ways with it period. I dont think u can go wrong with a 41mag ever.

Unit308

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    The .41 is, in my opinion, the best of the best.
    It is extremely versatile when using handloads.
    I cast my own bullets...wheel weights...

And keep in mind that the .41 is just two thousandths of an inch difference from the .44 Mag. A trifling difference.

Top Bottom