• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mwaym

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 30, 2012
    Just bought a 44 mag handi rifle..... should I unscrew the scope rail and lock-tite the screws, or is it done from the factory ?? I just don't want it to work loose from shooting

mwaym

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 30, 2012
    Thanks y'all.. That's what I was thinkin... It's better to know it is not comin loose then, find out during season.... :)

Cam

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Tipton County
    Having just gone through this process on two of these guns last summer in prep for last years deer season, abso-freakin-lutely take that base off, clean everything of oil, make sure that base fits flush to the barrel, and loctite blue on the screws. I ended up having to do some fitting to the base on one of mine so it would fit the barrel.

A different suggestion would also be to check the fore stock-to-barrel fit. Both of ours fit very tightly and unevenly to the point where as the barrel would get a little heat in it from 5 or so shots, the accuracy would go to hell in a hand basket. Once taking some material off the forestock to "float" the barrel, they both made much nicer groups.

mwaym

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 30, 2012
    Thanks all...... Cam.... what do you mean by "float" the barrel ???? I guess I am trying to get a visual of what you did

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Thanks all...... Cam.... what do you mean by "float" the barrel ???? I guess I am trying to get a visual of what you did

Floating a barrel just means removing stock material until it no longer makes contact with the barrel.
    Theory being if hot spots develop during firing, like where the barrel contacts the stock, accuracy will suffer.

Top Bottom