• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • diver dan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    DeMotte
    I am new to 44mag cartridges, for deer hunting, what is its lethal/moral range. I am shooting a 12 INCH ENCORE T/C pistol.Just trying to see at what distances are deadly for deer hunting. I know its debateable issue, but for general terms.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    As already mentioned, that's effectively a 100 yard deer setup.
    The cartridge is capable of killing a deer at considerably greater distance, but it's much tougher to reliably hit the traditional heart/lung zone much beyond 100 yards, so it's best to stay in keeping with being ethical by limiting your shots to that.
    As a suggestion to help your trajectory and accuracy, you can use Hornady LeveRevolution ammo with the soft spitzer bullet that maximizes the ballistics, or you can get the Hornady FTX component bullet used in their LeveRevolution and roll your own.
    I've used their 225 grain .451 diameter FTX bullet for my reloads (1882 feet per second) in my Marlin 1894 lever gun with great results, three deer brought down reliably.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Finding what you killed can be a chore.
    As the distance increases, it's harder to know exactly where it was when you shot, what path it followed.

OP is running an Encore........he can stretch things a bit compared to a wheel gun.

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    Unless you are an unusually talented pistol shooter, the .44 mag will likely carry lethal energy farther than you can make good hits.

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    I should probably clarify. I'd consider 100 yards to be the absolute outside dIstance with lots of practice. With a rifle, and again, lots of practice, close to 200. But you have to be aware of the drop and be used to lobbing them in a little at that distance.
    With the above pictured pistol I'd feel most comfortable at 50 yards or less.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    If I had a Ruger SRH 9.5" and an optic.........I'd max it at 150 yds.
    Prefer 100 and in, but if I was comfy, yup...........150.
    But I'd have spent my range time to be dialed in for such.
    And still be prepared for a bit of tracking to find my dead deer.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Optic/handgun.............I ditched the revo and went specialty pistol.
    Like me a Contender.

Did NOT like much scope mag (2.5X my limit). Had a 1-4X Burris on a SRH.................yanked that POS off after a weekend hunt. HATED it.
    Deer moving through timber.............less mag the better.

2.5-7X on my first .35 Rem Contender................always shot it at 2.5X.
    Had same scope range on a .22 mag TC..................range fun...............still prefer 2.5X.

Must say, a reddot on a handgun...............way easier. Aimpoint PRO w 2 MOA what I get next. Got a clone and it works GREAT, but has 3 MOA dot.
    For deer it's usable, but I'd still like smaller.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Dunno if a single 30mm Ruger ring would hold an Aimpoint well on a .44 mag SRH.
    Better would be a Weaver rail...........and Ruger is funky in proprietary mounts.
    Yeah they make adapters...........uh, no thanks.
    Smith custom shop w 30mm reddot................way cool.

Bout the only option for the SRH would be a Burris Fastfire. Whatever could be of that type w 2 or 1 MOA dot.

diver dan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    DeMotte
    Appreciate feedback from you guys,I had a CONTENDER IN 223, then sold it and got a ENCORE in 44MAG 12inch barrel.The 223 was easier to shoot than I thought.I am keeping my shots to 75yrds to be on safe side.If I get a shot at a deer, I DONT want to loose it, never got a deer yet in quite a few years of hunting.Planning on using soft points, HORNADY LEVERLUTION. AGAIN THANKS FOR FEEDBACK

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    It all depends upon your skill level with the handgun. At what distance can you reliably hit the kill zone of a deer? To be a responsible hunter, you need to honestly answer that question.

Shalashaska

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2016
    Indiana
    The limiting factor will be your ability to accurately hit within the kill zone, not the energy of the cartridge. .44 mag will be lethal at far longer ranges than most people can reliably shoot.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Almost all pistols carry lethal energy further than the user can accurately shoot it. I've seen demonstrations where pistol ammo can still kill at 500 yds, the issue of course being hitting the target, rifles can kill at thousand of yds but the issue remains the same.

Accuracy and consistency is the key, it's not really ethical to shoot an animal unless you are sure of your shot, maybe is only an option if you are starving and need to feed your family. So, take it out and practice, know the range you can be sure of. The pistol will do it's job just as well as you tell it to.

Top Bottom