• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jerryw

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 4, 2009
    Albion, Indiana
    My dad and I are both going to buy A 44. magnum. I don't know much about the one he is looking at but, i believe it is a H&R. My 20. gauge is H&R and i love it so i know i like H&R but what do you guys know and like about this gun? This is going to be my deer gun. And my dad is buying his this week so i will be able to see if i like it before i buy my own. I just wanted to see your opinions about it. It is going to be a singleshot. I beleive he said its around 250$

Thanks
    Jerry

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    My dad and I are both going to buy A 44. magnum. I don't know much about the one he is looking at but, i believe it is a H&R. My 20. gauge is H&R and i love it so i know i like H&R but what do you guys know and like about this gun? This is going to be my deer gun. And my dad is buying his this week so i will be able to see if i like it before i buy my own. I just wanted to see your opinions about it. It is going to be a singleshot. I beleive he said its around 250$

Thanks
    Jerry

If you're looking at single shots, check out the Rossi Matched pair. I'm not sure if the .44mag is one of the offerings, but they have SEVERAL combos. You'll get two guns in one, and you can get BOTH barrels for the same $250 Just my :twocents:

phatgemi

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Oct 1, 2008
    Metamora, IN
    I think you will be well pleased with the H&R (New England Firearms) .44 magnum. Excellent choice. The handirifles are one of the best buys, dollar for dollar. Another plus is the ability to buy extra barrels to fit should you choose. I have one in .44 mag plus a .500 S&W barrel and then also have a .45/70. They can be habit forming. Good luck in finding one. They are kinda scarce right now. :)

mwilson

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    franklin
    shot my nephews h&r 44mag handi rifle today at attebury. he bought his at gander mt. for 299.00 with scope. if it was me i would try to buy one without the scope and equip it with a better one. how did i like it? told him if he ever wanted to sell it to let me know. we only shot it at 50 yards. with some factory loaded hornady 240 xtp it would hold around 2". same with my handloaded 240xtps. my reloads with 300 grain xtp would shoot 3 shots touching. have a friend i work with whos handi likes my 300 grain xtp loads just as well. from shooting 44s for years it seems as though the heavier bullets seem to stabilize better at longer ranges. dont think you will find a better deer gun for the money spent. plenty accurate, will reach out as far as anything else that is easily avaliable, more than enough power for deer. and very easy on the shoulder, about the same or maybe less than a 20 gauge.

Whosyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 5, 2009
    Warren County
    The bonus with the Handi Rifle is their accessory barrel program. Send in your stock,forearm and receiver, and they will fit another barrel to it. Have them fit you a .223 or .22-250, and when deer season is over, you can put the hurt on coyotes. Or groundhogs in the spring. Prices on barrels vary. The .223 and .22-250 run $90. And then I think there is a $30 fitting fee. The info is somewhere on their website. Under customer service?
    H&R 1871

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    I've got severa NEF shotguns and rifles and an H&R topper;
    44 mag
    45-70
    20 gauge Topper Deluxe with 12 guage trap barrel and extra trap stocks and turkey barrel
    12 dedicated heavy slug gun

I like 'em all and none of them are for sale.

Hank in Indiana

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2009
    South Central In
    Ref the accessory barrels, you might want to check on that first. I think that only the SB1 frames can get the rifle barrels. The SB2 frames can only be fitted with a shotgun barrel. The new 44 and 357 mag rifles are SB2 and cannot be fitted with rifle barrels.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Ref the accessory barrels, you might want to check on that first. I think that only the SB1 frames can get the rifle barrels. The SB2 frames can only be fitted with a shotgun barrel. The new 44 and 357 mag rifles are SB2 and cannot be fitted with rifle barrels.

And this is the reason I suggested the Rossi "Matched-Pair"

Whosyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 5, 2009
    Warren County

Thanks for pointing that out. I was under the impression that the .44 mag was an sb1. I haven't kept up on these things for a while. When I first bought my .25-06 ultra, I used to be on GBO's H&R forum everyday.:yesway: for the heads up.

mwilson

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    franklin
    the 44 mags and 357 mags that they are selling now are sb1 frames which according to h&r they will not put any additional barrels on. if it is a sb2 frame they will.

phatgemi

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Oct 1, 2008
    Metamora, IN

Are you sure you don't have that reversed???

mwilson

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    franklin
    current production guns 357 and 44 mags are sb1 cast iron frames think that started in 2008. search graybeardoutdoors in the h&r section

Whosyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 5, 2009
    Warren County
    OK, I was confused, and out of touch. I think I got it straight now. From the H&R website.
    Model
    Synthetic Handi-Rifle™
    Ammo
    NEW 44 Mag (SB1-S44)*

NEW 357 Mag (SB1-S35)*

H&R Handi-Rifle™

All model SB2 Handi-Rifles™ and model SB1 Pardner® shotguns can be fitted with any shotgun barrel except the 10 gauge. All barrels are blue finish only.

All model SB2 Handi-Rifles™ can be fitted with the rifle barrels listed below, as well as with shotgun barrels previously listed. Model SB1-Pardner® shotguns cannot be fitted with any rifle barrels. All barrels are blue finish only.
    H&R 1871 - Barrel Accessory Program

Hopefully this clears up any confusion I may have caused. I am kind of curious as to why they would put the .357 and .44 on the sb1 frames.

Top Bottom