• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    230 grain bullets work fine for me but I would like run less lead and more powder through my 1911's and Glock 21.

Main reason is that I prefer loads that fill a high percentage of case volume with powder, but it doesn't hurt that lighter bullets are usually cheaper.

Ideally I'd like to go plated to save a buck or two over jacketed, lead would also be ok in the 1911's as long as I could make power factor for IDPA (roughly 850 fps for 200 grain, roughly 900 for 185 grain) and the accuracy was there.

Any suggestions about a particular bullet and or perhaps guidance on recommended oal or crimp firmness to prevent feeding issues??

VinceU1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 1, 2011
    Indy
    In .45ACP, I've ran 5.5-5.6gr of W231 with 200gr LSWC for years and easily made power factor. NEVER had a feed problem with them either. They are dirtier of course, but I clean my guns after each match anyway. Right now I'm shooting Montana Gold 185gr JHP on top of either 6.5gr of W231 or 6.6gr of AA #2, no problems with feeding either. I do have to load the 185's shorter than the 200's (1.20" vs. 1.25") due to difference in shape, but other than that they've both worked and ran flawlessly.

I don't think I'd want to go any lighter than the 185's as the bullet is getting awfully short and the only time I've tried them that light was in some +P loads I was playing with for a comp'd 1911 and I had ALL kinds of FTF's with them. I'd tried some LSWC and JHP's and neither of them would feed 100%. Also tried some CorBon 165gr +P loads and they wouldn't feed either. Keep in mind that this was in 3 different 1911's that fed everything heavier 100%.

If you're looking to fill the case with powder (and that's not a bad thing either!), you might want to look at a slower powder maybe AA#5. I know a fair number of shooters out west who swear by that powder in the .45 for 3gun matches.

I'm personally leery of copper coated bullets just because I've seen a fair number of instances of bullets yawing in flight. Doesn't seem to slow down the shooters speed or accuracy (at least at normal USPSA distances) but every once in a when you've got to take that 40 or 50 yard shot that really makes me wonder about accuracy.

Last edited:

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    The Wilson Combat test round (called out on my targets) is a 200gr H&G #68 cavity lead semi-wad cutter bullet in front of 4.5gr of VV N-310, loaded to 1.25 OAL. It is not a timid load, nor cheap, but it feeds very well and is extremely accurate. I can't justify the cost, so I use plated 230gr RN, 3.6gr Clays, 1.25 OAL for plinking and 200gr L-SWC, 4.2gr Clays, 1.25 OAL as a load that makes Major PF. (The 230gr plated bullet load should make Major at 3.8gr, but you would want to chrono it)

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    I've been shooting some 200 g jacketed flat point bullets from Montana Gold Bullet...ran about 4 or 5 thousand through the G21 and creeping up on 1,500 or so now through the M&P45. ZERO issues with them. I think I'm 6.6 or 6.8 grains of Unique with those.

I'd say every round you've watched me shoot through the G21 are the 200 grains. I haven't loaded or shot anything else. They aren't cheap but they are great bullets...$165 or so per 1000 but the quality and consistency is there over the other bullets I've used before these.

L999here

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2009
    South Bend,IN
    ...Berry's..

I stock Berry's 200gr. JHP and those that shoot it have not had any problems. As mentioned,it's a plated bullet...cheaper than standard FMJ,kinder to the barrel and clean to reload and shoot. Suggest a cleaner powder than Bullseye or Unique....might try Accurate Arms #5. My standard load is 9gr of #5.

Loganwildman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 29, 2012
    Logansport
    I have shot 200gr lswc for 20+ years through several different pistols and also my Camp 45 and have never had an issue. Also have 3 different powder charges for this bullet depending on what type of shooting I'll be doing.

Big Charlie

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 16, 2011
    natchezss.com cares Berry's plated bullets and the prices look good. I will probably try them after I go through my Missouri bullets. Saw a guy on youtube electroplating his own. He had a very simple set-up.

Top Bottom