• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Shift Zombie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 3, 2011
    Tula is fine to run through your gun. It has a steel case, non corrosive primer, and a copper or bi-metal head. It's fine. It's shoots nice and it's dirt cheap. I normally run Tula or S&B and have never had a feed issue or failure to fire.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    you really need to check out the shows then plenty there. what exactly are you looking for I know a guy that knows a guy that..... I cant get ya one lol

:D I want a mid-level 1911. Sig Carry Nitron, Carry Nightmare, Kimber Pro CDP, Pro Carry II, SA Loaded. At or below a grand.:)

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington

Thanks. This looks like as good deal as any. I called Plainfield SS because they gave me a 10% discount on the box of ammo I bought the day I picked up my new 1911, but it was only for that day. If they would give me the 10% going forward, I would pay the extra and buy it from them. Still will probably buy some from them, but stock up from sources like this.

Does anyone ever put together a group buy? And can money be saved? I would be willing to buy 500 rounds or so on a group buy.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Thanks. This looks like as good deal as any. I called Plainfield SS because they gave me a 10% discount on the box of ammo I bought the day I picked up my new 1911, but it was only for that day. If they would give me the 10% going forward, I would pay the extra and buy it from them. Still will probably buy some from them, but stock up from sources like this.

Does anyone ever put together a group buy? And can money be saved? I would be willing to buy 500 rounds or so on a group buy.

Buying online is the best bet, even when retards were not buying it up like scared sheep at walmart. Check out other sites like AmmoMan, AIM Surplus, Wiedners. Get some folks you know together or talk to people that shoot .45 at the range if you are looking for a group buy where you want less than 500 rounds. Want 500 or more, then just buy it online, you won't save terribly much going group buy.

That or invest in handloading equipment, but then again, we don't need any panic people learning that secret. :D

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne

What does once fired .45 brass go for now days ?

If you don't want to reload, just save your brass and once you get 500 or 1000, list em on here for sale... If you could get $40.00-80.00/1000, that would buy you 2-4 more boxes of store bought... That would get you that 10% savings, maybe even close to 20%.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    What does once fired .45 brass go for now days ?

If you don't want to reload, just save your brass and once you get 500 or 1000, list em on here for sale... If you could get $40.00-80.00/1000, that would buy you 2-4 more boxes of store bought... That would get you that 10% savings, maybe even close to 20%.

Good idea. I'll start picking it up. I probably won't be able to find the 49 rounds I shot today though.:(

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Good idea. I'll start picking it up. I probably won't be able to find the 49 rounds I shot today though.:(

It's not a good idea... A good idea would be to pick it up and load it themself.. I was just saying that for anyone who had no interest in loading their own... :)

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne

Picking up brass and selling it of course is better than just leaving it lay... But the best would be to load it yourself instead of selling it... You'd be both saving money and producing better quality ammo. :)

Actually, if someone had no interest in loading their own, I think I would give Andrew at Profile a call and ask what kind of deal he'd make if you provided once fired brass to load them for you... He is a licensed loader and might be able to beat your other options, especially if you provided the brass...

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Picking up brass and selling it of course is better than just leaving it lay... But the best would be to load it yourself instead of selling it... You'd be both saving money and producing better quality ammo. :)

Actually, if someone had no interest in loading their own, I think I would give Andrew at Profile a call and ask what kind of deal he'd make if you provided once fired brass to load them for you... He is a licensed loader and might be able to beat your other options, especially if you provided the brass...

I see. I just bought my .45 so I really don't know at this point how much I will really shoot it. I figure if I really get into it, I'll consider making the investment in reloading. I like to have an indoor hobby during the winter, so I am pretty sure I would enjoy stocking up on ammo during that time.

I just have to do the math and see what my break even time frame would be before I make the leap. If I get into IDPA and/or USPS?...whatever it's called, I will go through more ammo. Ammo is expensive for sure. It's going to end up costing 25% of the purchase price of the pistol just to break it in!:)

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I see. I just bought my .45 so I really don't know at this point how much I will really shoot it. I figure if I really get into it, I'll consider making the investment in reloading. I like to have an indoor hobby during the winter, so I am pretty sure I would enjoy stocking up on ammo during that time.

I just have to do the math and see what my break even time frame would be before I make the leap. If I get into IDPA and/or USPS?...whatever it's called, I will go through more ammo. Ammo is expensive for sure. It's going to end up costing 25% of the purchase price of the pistol just to break it in!:)

In the mean time, save your brass... If the day comes you do decide to load your own, you will be glad you did. If that day doesn't come, you could always sell the brass....

When the time comes you want to look more into it, there is plenty of good info in the ammunition/reloading forum on here...

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I stopped by the Bedford Walmart yesterday and they were out of 45acp. The kid that checked for me--obviously not a gun guy--said "man! That must be a popular bullet. We can't keep them stocked." they're out about 1/2-2/3 the times I check.

BlueEagle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    Meijer in Jeff had zilch. Rural King right across the street had PMC Bronze, Blazer Brass, Remington green box, and something else, all in .45 ACP. In excess of 50 boxes worth, all together.

You could tell that whoever stocked the shelves didn't know guns; there was a stack of 45 Colt boxes square in the middle of all of the 45 ACP. :p

Top Bottom