• ...and so much more!
  • gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    ...Another problem I have is quite often is I seem to get the bullet seated crooked before the seat die and the case bulges to one side.....Any suggestions?

For crooked bullets, pull your seater stem out of your seater die and see if it matches the profile of the bullet you are using...

I've used Lyman, RCBS and Lee dies and have never had a seater stem for SWC's that had the correct profile. They were all too large of diameter to align the bullets. Back in the day, I turned my own stems to fit.

Now I only use Lyman M Expander Dies which forms a pocket that aligns the bullets fairly accurately when you place them in the case. I highly recommend this type of expander die.

...The semi-wad cutters were quite accurate but not reliable to feed....

For SWC feeding problems, the feed lip style of the mags can play a huge part. Start by making sure the mags you are using have "hybrid" feed lips.

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    Have dilion dies and Wilson mags with Sig GSR. Do see what your saying about the bullet profiles not matching very well.

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    Hybrid? They used to be called wadcutter magazines.

Yes...hybrid and not what is still called wadcutter.;)

Feed Lips.jpg

My Wilson #47D's and ETM's (500) have wadcutter feed lips (they may have a hybrid version as well) and although they feed SWC's fine in my Ruger SR1911, they do not work well with the same ammo in my Dan Wesson. Checkmate hybrid feed lip mags work fine with SWC's in the DW.

It's always worth trying different style mags when you're having feed problems.

Last edited:

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    Will look into which mags I have. Always learning something on this site. Interesting how the angles vary as much as the width of the mouth on the different styles.

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    Have dilion dies and Wilson mags with Sig GSR. Do see what your saying about the bullet profiles not matching very well.

Since you have Dillon dies, pull the seater stem from the seater die. If its a older Dillon die set your dies should have come with two small gold colored seater inserts. One is for swc and the other is for round nose.
    If they are the newer dies the gold colored seater is double ended. Just flip it to which side you need.

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    Checked out my mags for type. Have Wilson 47dc and Noveske ?. The Noveske looks like the hybrid, they are definitely different.

Cree

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 28, 2016
    Lafayette
    Another vote for a separate crimping die versus the seating/crimp dies. There is a valid point to be made on not over expanding the case mount more than what is needed. I expand just enough to get the bullet started without crushing the case or shaving off parts of the bullet. I then finish with a taper crimp die to make sure that the round feeds and that I have adequate pressure holding the round in place. I will say that one should not underestimate the extra holding power that a good taper crimp die will provide.

Andy Cree

Top Bottom