• ...and so much more!
  • JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Not directed at anyone...just a generic curiosity -
    Why do people rush to polish the feed ramp when the act of shooting repetitively does the same thing in a much more detailed manner? If you don't know what/where to take material off, how do you know you're changing the angle in the right way? How do you know you're not taking off too much? It's not like you can put it back and start over... why not just shoot shoot shoot?

cakelly1962

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 9, 2010
    Columbus
    My RIA Fullsize would not feed 200 lswc..
    Polished feed ramp and it hasn't had a problem since. The lead bullets are the cheapist i've found.

dtkw

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2009
    Bloomington
    I don't have a RI but my LB 1911 ate everything I fed it so far. I used Golden Saber and others without any problem.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Not directed at anyone...just a generic curiosity -
    Why do people rush to polish the feed ramp when the act of shooting repetitively does the same thing in a much more detailed manner? If you don't know what/where to take material off, how do you know you're changing the angle in the right way? How do you know you're not taking off too much? It's not like you can put it back and start over... why not just shoot shoot shoot?
    In my case, I really did just "polish" it with Blue Magic metal polish and mag wheel cleaner, so I didn't really take off any appreciable metal. I look at it this way... if you want to save ammo when sighting in a new scope, you use a bore sighter to "get it on paper" and make the actual sighting in easier and quicker. To me, polishing the feed ramp kind of gives me a jump start on the break-in process which as you said, will occur naturally by just shooting the gun. I don't get to shoot as much or as often as I'd like, so if I can get the gun broken in with less time and ammo, why not? :dunno: I also rack the slide several hundred times before ever going to a range to help with the mating up of surfaces, smoothing any little imperfections in the rails, etc.. Again, that's something that would occur with normal use, but if I can cut it down to 200 rounds instead of 500, then I've saved some time and $$.

Top Bottom