• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bobjones223

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Noblesville, IN
    Ok dusting this off again. The new rifle should arrive shortly and now we come to the next question.

I currently have .454" projectiles that I picked up for the other gun. Are there going to be any negatives about using them in this one?

I would assume we may be looking at a little higher pressure spike in the beginning?
    I don't think it would result in any additional leading?

From what I have noticed from these they are not a very hard lead (don't have a gauge) which has it's up and downside. I will probably switch over to copper jackets if I really start pushing the velocities hard but right now I am going to keep things inside SAAMI recommendations.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Slug the bore on the Rossi, these guns are known for larger bores and generous chambers.

45 Colt in one of those rifles is a powerhouse of a hunting gun with a good load. I've put a 325 grain Lyman 452651 through a whitetail length wise, went down in it's tracks.

bobjones223

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Noblesville, IN
    Slug the bore on the Rossi, these guns are known for larger bores and generous chambers.

45 Colt in one of those rifles is a powerhouse of a hunting gun with a good load. I've put a 325 grain Lyman 452651 through a whitetail length wise, went down in it's tracks.

Ok thanks, I was planning on slugging the bore but was just wondering what problems there might be with the projectiles I have. From the sounds of it the .454" might be right if they are know to be oversized. Just have to see what I find when I get it.

What are you fueling your 325gr with?

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    All of my heavy bullet cast gas check loads in straight wall cartridges get Lil Gun. WW 296 or H110 will work as well.

bobjones223

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Noblesville, IN
    All of my heavy bullet cast gas check loads in straight wall cartridges get Lil Gun. WW 296 or H110 will work as well.

I was assuming if I started really pushing things I was going to switch over to copper instead of trying to do a gas check. I have been thinking about getting a pound of H110 since it seems to be the most common for 44 mag which could be in my near future also. Where do you find load data for the 45 Colt and H110 for the "Hot" loads?

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Loads listed for Ruger Blackhawks are a good place to start with store bought bullets. Cast Boolits is where I go for all my cast info. H110 is a very good powder for these types of applications.

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    Ok, if you have been paying attention I am still working on getting baby girls Circuit Judge shooting well. This question is more about the round than the gun though.

So I hand weighted by powder charges on a digital scale and had a 160fps spread from high to low. I am currently using 8.8gr of CFE Power Pistol and after chronograph getting ready to bump it up to 9.0gr. The question I have is can the spread be due to a small charge in a large case and has anyone played around with installing a small cardboard disc into the brass to keep the powder charge central and uniform against the primer?

This has been rolling though my mind and thought I would see if I was playing with fire and getting ready to blow myself up? Or has anyone tried it with success?

What's the barrel length on that piece?

djones

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    Greenfield
    I was assuming if I started really pushing things I was going to switch over to copper instead of trying to do a gas check. I have been thinking about getting a pound of H110 since it seems to be the most common for 44 mag which could be in my near future also. Where do you find load data for the 45 Colt and H110 for the "Hot" loads?

I would suggest sticking with 45 colt. No need to get a 44 mag when you are already setup to shoot 45 colt. I sold off all of my 44 mags and kept the 45 colt.

If you need some .454" diameter 315 grain wfngc bullets to try, let me know.

IMR4227 and 2400 are both good powders for mild to wild 45 colt. H110 will not allow you to go mild.

PM me with any 45 colt loading questions.

David Jones
    Greenfield IN

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    I would suggest sticking with 45 colt. No need to get a 44 mag when you are already setup to shoot 45 colt. I sold off all of my 44 mags and kept the 45 colt.

If you need some .454" diameter 315 grain wfngc bullets to try, let me know.

IMR4227 and 2400 are both good powders for mild to wild 45 colt. H110 will not allow you to go mild.

PM me with any 45 colt loading questions.

David Jones
    Greenfield IN

Testify, brother.
    I have both a Marlin 1894 and Ruger Blackhawk, both chambered in .45 Colt, and it's a wonderfully versatile caliber.
    Load 'em up with Unique and they're about 5%-10% more powerful than .45 ACP, or stoke them up with H110 and they're right on the heels of .44 Magnum.
    I've chronoed my deer load consisting of a max charge of H110 behind the 225 grain Hornady FTX at 1882 FPS out of the 1894, which yields a healthy 1700 foot pounds.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Loads listed for Ruger Blackhawks are a good place to start with store bought bullets. Cast Boolits is where I go for all my cast info. H110 is a very good powder for these types of applications.

You sure a Taurus Circuit Judge will handle Blackhawk loads?

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    No problem, enlighten the ignorant, what is a Circuit Judge?

Taurus/Rossi rifle with a revolver cylinder. Basically a rifle version of the Taurus Judge revolvers. It's the gun originally under discussion as the OP is trying to get a deer load for his daughter, IIRC.

Rossi Circuit Judge Rifle Review

Rossi-Circuit-Judge-Rifle.jpg

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Never have seen one of those, is gas and lead spatter from the barrel cylinder gap a problem?

bobjones223

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Noblesville, IN
    Never have seen one of those, is gas and lead spatter from the barrel cylinder gap a problem?

They have a deflector on the left side that helps with that. You can still feel a little now and then but it is not bad. It is a fun little firearm and I have not given up on it. Comfort wise to shoot it is awesome. Really good ergonomics great cheek weld and is fun to shoot . I know why she likes it.

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    So 460S&W brass doesn't work in it?
    Asking because I wondered if the .410/.45Colt hybrid revolvers would accept the brass for black powder loadings with the bullet seated out.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    So 460S&W brass doesn't work in it?
    Asking because I wondered if the .410/.45Colt hybrid revolvers would accept the brass for black powder loadings with the bullet seated out.

.410 is longer than .460 S&W, so it probably would fit, but I would exercise extreme caution with it because full house .460 S&W would likely cause the relatively weak Taurus Judge/S&W Governor to turn into a grenade.
    As long as you're keeping it at black powder pressure levels with the longer brass, you'd probably be okay, but that also brings up the dearth of load data for black powder in .460 cases, although that data may well be out there and I just don't know about it.

Top Bottom