• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • needmoney

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 16, 2011
    Basically I love my 9mm and it is my carry, and as far as overall satisfaction I absolutely love it. I've always had my beefs with .45, but I find myself gravitating to a silenced system and it seems subsonic .45 ammo is the best way to go. I currently own a PX4 storm and a stoeger cougar both in 9mm. Basically I'm willing to spent some extra cash to get a quality .45 (as I have usually been bang for the buck). I just picked up my first AR and love it and in the process of adding a free-float system and some other goodies.... I would rather not silence this system instead unless I get an overwhelming amount of responses leaning that way.

Short version: Should I just silence the full size storm or go for a .45? I'm a huge fan of Kimbers but do all the models have trigger and hand safety's? This is a big selling point as I hate both. Keep in mind I am not well versed in .45's but if there is a quality .45 fitting this description I'll buy you a case of beer. I don't mind spending for quality, but at the same time the after market really needs to be there to support my decision.

I am wholly open to all suggestions and appreciate ANY and ALL comments, both hating on the idea and encouraging it. I would like to hear all sides to this.

Thanks guys!

01deuce

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    walkerton
    This

190dnq.jpg

Or this

21opzm.jpg

Just add a threaded barrel

DBH

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Carmel
    I would look at the M&P .45 as well. The come in all kinds of flavors along with a threaded barrel kit from a couple manufacturers.

B27R

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 29, 2011
    which 45's have you shot and liked? That would weigh heavily in this decision too I'd imagine?

tnek

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    I like the XD platform a ton. BUT make up your own mind. Try other guns. Go to a indoor range if possible that rents guns. Try as many as you can. Find the platform you like first than get it in the calibre you want. Too many people take the opinon of others as gospel instead of information to process.

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    Large hands Glock 21. Smaller hands, Glock 21SF. Either way, you will not go wrong with either.

Of course, there is always a 1911! My FIRST choice! :)

I wear a size XL glove and can shoot sub compacts with out extended mags fairly well..... fairly.... getting better.

You can't go wrong with any of the better named gun's. I like 1911's but like having more then 8 rounds in the mag.

doublebarrel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Sep 26, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    hk usp...greatest gun of my life.

Amen! Got one of those (as in my avatar), like it so much that I'm looking forward to 9 version (as soon as the wife gives me the green light :):). I changed mine to V.3 (decocker only), which was much easier to convert compared doing the same thing on a Beretta PX4 (change from F to G model). Also I pitched the internal lock on the USP. Both are simple swaps of Detent Plate and Lanyard Loop Insert...

VN Vet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapolis
    A particular make of pistol is a personal decision and only you can make it. My comment in on the reason to go from the 9 to the .45 or to stay put.

Remember that bad people like good people will likely wear more and heavier clothes during the winter months. Also if using hollow points remember that both calibers can fill with clothing, thereby defeating to some extent the effectiveness of the hollow point. Everyone will not agree with me on this but my recommendation is to carry the 9mm during summer months and the .45 during the winter months.

VV

Skip

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    12 miles from Michigan
    I wear a size XL glove and can shoot sub compacts with out extended mags fairly well..... fairly.... getting better.

You can't go wrong with any of the better named gun's. I like 1911's but like having more then 8 rounds in the mag.

Dave, me too. Here is how an "N" frame Smith fits in my hand:
    100_3581.jpg

And a 1911:
    1911hand.jpg

But, not everyone is as "ham handed" as we are! Some people are even novices that need to get aquainted with how to shoot a firearm before they really know much about them. Fit matters then. What we "trained" folks do too many times is try to force our opinons on folks that need to grow a bit. The OP, by his question, may be one of those, hence the information I posted above! ;)

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    big selling point as I hate both

If you have the 1911 platform in mind..I just got into a Springfield Loaded .45acp. It does NOT have a trigger safety of any kind..Just another option..Bill..

Top Bottom