• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    Was at the range today and a guy 2 or 3 lanes down was shooting one.

Holy crap! :draw:

The fireball coming out the barrel was impressive and the impulse coming our way was noticeable.

My 8 yr old was out shooting for the first time and while it scared her...she would just wait until he was reloading to shoot. Was afraid we'd have to leave quickly but we didn't.:rockwoot:

Barista

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 29, 2012
    South Bend..."Go Irish"
    This is so true!!! I have the Taurus Raging Bull 454 that I hunt deer with. When I've taken it to the outdoor range the percussion on that turns heads...people start to wonder what kind of hand canon you are shooting. I've shot two deer with mine and the bullet has passed clean threw both times (I was shooting game loads with hallow points).

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Tampa, FL
    The guides want to shoot my .454 Cassull whenever I bring it on a hunt. :): I took a decent hog with it down in Florida. Complete pass through. Then again, I got a complete pass through on a bigger hog with a .44 magnum so I'm not convinced I really need the superboomer. It is fun though.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I've had my Raging Bull in .454 Casull for 10+ years and it never ceases to amaze me how many people crank theirs heads around and say, "WTF was that?"

I get a kick out of it, no pun intended.
    Most everyone wants to shoot it, once anyways :D

jwh20

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 22, 2013
    Hamilton County Indi
    Actor James Cash carried a .454 in the original movie Alien Nation:

AN-454Casull_02A.jpg

The "newcomers" were a lot harder to kill than humans. Makes a big boom in the movie also.

87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    It was a sight when it would go off. Sounded like it was the first time the guy had ever shot it too. He didn't notice the fireball initially but his buddy did.

confused89

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 31, 2009
    IN
    I was the taller of the two guys that you are talking about and yes that was the first time I had shot my buddies 454. I wold like to apoligize for the noise that we made. I actually ask them range officer to put us further away from you as to not bother you daughter with as much noise.

dnurk

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 20, 2012
    Boone County
    I bought a Ruger Super Redhawk in 454 back in 1998 as a bear protection gun for an upcoming fishing trip we were planning to Kodiak Island. Buddy and I took it over to Eagle Creek range which is covered with those baffles.

First time I shot it literally every single person on the range stopped what they were doing and looked at us.

They are impressive weapons.

Also fun, taking the Casual and loading 45 long colt into 3 chambers and then a 454 round. Let a friend who has never shot it get comfortable with those first couple of rounds and then get a little surprise with the Casul load. Note, I would never do that with a rookie shooter.

edsinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    NE Indiana
    Also fun, taking the Casual and loading 45 long colt into 3 chambers and then a 454 round. Let a friend who has never shot it get comfortable with those first couple of rounds and then get a little surprise with the Casul load. Note, I would never do that with a rookie shooter.

Years ago that was done to me with a .38/.357.......I about had to ship my pants!:rockwoot:

87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    I was the taller of the two guys that you are talking about and yes that was the first time I had shot my buddies 454. I wold like to apoligize for the noise that we made. I actually ask them range officer to put us further away from you as to not bother you daughter with as much noise.

Lol...no problem. It worked out well for her first time to range.

She shot little .22 shorts
    I shot a couple of .22 longs out of revolver(noise scared her and I had to stop)
    Guy shot 762x54 halfway down range(scared her for about 2 or 3 shots)

After that she didn't even notice and kept plinking away

Then you guys showed up with your hand cannons. I am not sure by that point it startled her any more than me when it went off. Lol

She wants to go back so mission was accomplished!

Last edited:

Seancass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Near Whiteland, IN
    She wants to go back so mission was accomplished!

This is the most important part!

I was the other 'gent shooting next to you! I guess that makes me the shorter guy with the big gun, not that i like to brag. I'm glad your daughter got used to the shooting! I was really worried we'd scare you away before she could get used to it. I'm glad the range was quiet in general, it can get a little obnoxious there some days!

The 454 is a lot of fun to shoot! It's just crazy accurate! You don't notice the flash or the concussion because you're too busy trying to hold on! With a little practice, i find it as easy to shoot as a 44 mag or hot 45colt. It's just a little less forgiving if you relax your grip or yank the trigger before you're ready for the recoil!

I hope you had a fun night shooting and i hope you get her back to the range asap!

(oh and if she's sensitive to a .22, even a pistol, make sure you check her ear protection! It did look like you were doing a great job, so keep it up!)

24Carat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Newburgh
    It's easy to understand why it has the same energy at 100 yds as a 44 mag has coming out of the barrel. I was told a 300 gr would penetrate a diesel block. I luvs my Raging Bull !

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Get yourself a .460 S&W. Shoot .45 long Colt when you're feeling girly, .454 Casull when you're feeling boyish, and .460s when you're feeling manly.:D

Thanks, but I'll stick with my wimpy .44 Mag. At least until the DNR reintroduces brown bears into Indiana.;)

Seancass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Near Whiteland, IN
    It's easy to understand why it has the same energy at 100 yds as a 44 mag has coming out of the barrel. I was told a 300 gr would penetrate a diesel block. I luvs my Raging Bull !

We were shooting 250gr Hornadys at 1900fps, 265's at around 17-1800, and few 360's at around 1500. The 265's are crazy accurate, the 360's, less so. I'm working on a good load for them!

The 460 can make more power, but the gun is comically out of scale. The 454 is basically the same as a blackhawk.

Top Bottom