• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Serial Crusher

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Northwest Indiana
    I understand ballistically why it's listed. I'm sure Chalupa does too. My point was that you generally don't pick up a copy of Fur-Fish-Game and read about .458, it's more or less in mall-ninja style magazines only. It is odd not because of the cartridge characteristics, but because enough people in the DNR knew enough about it for it to make the list.

Edit: Looks like .450 Bushmaster is out too, 1.7" OAL

ChalupaCabras

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    LaPorte / Kingsbury
    Is is specifically named in the regulation book as being acceptable.

See above, its even cut and pasted into this thread.

Yes, i understand that it is indeed legal, I'm not questioning that. It seems ideally suited to the task of short range deer buster.

Its just seems silly to me that they would allow the 458 and still prohibit the 45-70. THAT said, it looks like I'm going to have to get a 458 upper. :D

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    They posted this info on Arfcom when DNR was adopting the pistol caliber rifle stuff. They posted an email for a woman that was sitting on the committee for it to put a bug in her ear for 458 Socom. It would have fit with the dimensions regardless but people wanted it listed in the book to elimate confusion with DNR in the future.

I sent an email with ballistics of the 45/70 as 12 gauge sabots, 458 Socom and 45/70 are almost identical ballistically and she said she would push for it but I guess it didn't go through. Velocities and drops were almost the same. It's a shame as 45/70 would be a much more economical solution for those who can't afford a custom bolt gun or an AR platform.

By the way, there is no mag capacity limit on the 458 either. You are supposed to be able to load 10 rounds in a 30 round mag.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Another thing I put in my argument about the 45/70 is that it makes no sense to not allow it when you have idiots out there with Contenders chambered in 300 Win mag. I'd rather have a guy with a rifle in 30/30 that is much less likely to pull a shot than a guy with a 14" barreled pistol in 300 win mag that he can't handle. The reason they haven't allowed the pistol caliber rifles before is because of all the fuds that think it isn't sporting to use them. Those same people consider hunting with contenders sporting, even though they have the potential to be way more dangerous than a rifle.

Top Bottom