• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rustynutmule

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2009
    Frankfort
    I have a rock river beast on order. 458 socom. I am not sure what optics to put on it. Thinking about a reflex type optic. maybe a magnifiere along with it. I know nothing about these type of optics.
    Can I get some suggestions on what to use or what not to use.
    Thanks

rustynutmule

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2009
    Frankfort
    No I haven't seen the 458 page. But I'll look for it now.
    And I thought about dove hunting with it. He he he . no not really. Just something I wanted to own.

Lammchop93

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Oct 23, 2011
    Floyds Knobs
    If it's not for hunting, I would either to an eotech style optic, or maybe even a vortex small magnification scope. like a 1x-4x zoom or something small.

DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    .458 holes are pretty easy to see at distance. :): I hunt with mine, so it has a 2-7x shotgun scope on it. A reflex type sight or a Eotech would work well for just plinking.

rustynutmule

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2009
    Frankfort
    thanks for the input. Like I said before I am not familiar with the reflex type optics. I don't know what kind of range to expect from them. I would like to be able to shoot some distance with this with decent accuracy. I have other rifles with regular scopes on them and can hit what I aim at, most of the time. I am thinking this caliber is only good for about 150 to 200 yards. Maybe I should just stick with what I know. I would love to ventilate a coyote with this gun.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Leupold 2-7X and be done, or if wanting to spend more, then the higher grade 2.5-8X

Regular rifle model, don't need the thicker crosshair or shorter parallax of the shotgun version.
    Longer the eye relief, the shorter something else gets...........remember the optical triangle.

I really like the 1-5X stuff (1X and movers is a great combo), but do think at times a bit more mag can help when judging a deer's rack.
    If you run 8X binos, then you could shoot with lesser mag.

Minimalist here, so just run a scope (note: I don't use rifle scopes as binoculars- pretty obvious IMHO what a deer is, even if only seeing parts).

RGriff69

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 24, 2010
    I have a Leupold 3-9 Firedot going on my 458 build. It's a little more magnification than I'm used to but it should work. I killed a deer and a hog at maybe 15 yards with my 458 and 1.25-4.

gunselman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 94.1%
    32   2   0
    Dec 18, 2008
    Indy
    I had a 1-4 millet on my 16" 458 SOCOM. I wasn't a big fan of that scope. I also realized that having a little more magnification would be nice. the Leupold 2-7 would be a great scope in my opinion. A true 1 power is nice but having more on the top end is more valuable for me.

Top Bottom