• d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    129   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Once you see enough brass you'll be able to visually tell just by glancing at the primer pocket.
    Seems like somewhere here on Ingo theres a thread that has what manufacturers use small vs large, but I dont seem to have luck searching topics here

Edit to add, I load both and the differences in velocity and accuracy are negligible if any

rlw9337

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2008
    The edge preparation can make identification difficult. To me, a radiused primer pocket looks larger than the sharper cornered primer pockets. With time you will get good at seeing the difference. If you are having trouble or have a questionable case. You might try a primer pocket cleaning tool to help you decide. I went to MidwayUSA and saw the very inexpensive Lee Version - "https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1012835065?pid=467111". Just color or tape over the small end and try the large pocket end.

If you try to put a large primer into a small primer case you might detonate the primer. So wear safety glasses.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    Why would 45 acp brass have small pistol primers in them. A guy gave me some brass that he picked up at the range and about 10 percent were small primers. Is there a way to look at them to tell ?

Indeed there is.

When you look at the cases, the ones with small primers look smaller.

efd1295

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 16, 2011
    Northern IN
    'NT' on the headstamp for Federal and Winchester not sure about others

Most of mine are Speer. After deprime, I sort and paint the bottom of the case with nail polish so I know which ones are which. As stated before, once you get the two next to each other in a tray, it's pretty easy to tell.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    I heard the reasoning why some 45 ACP used SPP. It has to do with lead free primers. I guess lead free LPP are more $ than the same in SPP and a manufacturer figured it was cheaper to change everything up and put the SPP in brass that usually uses LPP.

(I heard this on GunTalk radio from an ammo company representative Tom was interviewing. It was mid summer I had completely forgot about it until now.)

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    I keep mine separated (range pickup - I haven't bought any) from my LPP casings. Nothing wrong with them as long as you know what they are.
    I don't need them or want them mixed back in. I get hundreds of pieces of new brass gave to me every couple months and throw maybe ten percent into the bucket. Nothing wrong with them other than their a pain in the ass.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I don't need them or want them mixed back in. I get hundreds of pieces of new brass gave to me every couple months and throw maybe ten percent into the bucket. Nothing wrong with them other than their a pain in the ass.
    Probably why mine are just cleaned and sitting in a container... :):

Bill2905

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 1, 2021
    Lake County
    I actually purchased some once fired SPP 45 ACP brass back in the summer when I had more SPP on hand than anything else. Since then, things eased up and I was able to buy plenty of LPP. Now I kinda feel like I wasted some money but, I have them to load, trade or sell when the next material shortage hits. Also, I recently bought 500 rounds of Speer Lawman and Federal AE 45 ACP and every single round of it is loaded in SPP brass.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I'm apparently out of the loop here. I thought .45 GAP was the only 45 using SPP. I haven't shot 45 much since things got stupid, has that changed?

Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Primers are primers, both will work fine with the same load data. As hard as they to get and expensive as primers are, you should be happy you have them. Just saying.

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    I talked to a guy over the summer who said “I like having the option of using both sizes of primers” I said “that’s an awesome way to look at it, so now you can’t load 45 with small or large primers!”

Top Bottom