• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ChootEm

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    Whitestown
    Ok so my daughter is very recoil sensitive and I picked up a Circuit judge for her. She loves shooting it and is SO STOKED about getting to go deer hunting. Anyone else use these for deer hunting? Just wondering what to expect once the trigger is pulled. I know shot placement is everything but have you guys had good luck on deer recovery with them?

Also am I better off going with a full lead round or a copper jacketed Leverlution?

midget

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 2, 2010
    Leo
    45LC isn't ideal, but it will sure work. You need to try several different ammo's and find which one shoots the most accurately. She needs to practice and practice more. Please do not send her out in the woods if she doesn't, you are setting her up for a potentially upsetting experience.

I am quite partial to ammo using hornady's xtp bullets.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Maybe look into loads from Buffalo Bore. They have quite a bit of a selection of ammo tailored to specific needs like this.

I did some checking and I don't think your Rossi is rated for +P loads. Make sure you get normal pressure ammo.

Shot placement is the key, as stated above.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I'd be curious as to what accuracy at 50y or so people are getting. The reviews I read indicated pretty substandard accuracy with both the .45 LC and with .410 slugs.

ChootEm

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    Whitestown
    I'd be curious as to what accuracy at 50y or so people are getting. The reviews I read indicated pretty substandard accuracy with both the .45 LC and with .410 slugs.

Now I may have been lucky and gotten a fluke but I can clover leaf it at 50 yards from a bench. I had her shoot it and she can hold a 4"-6" group at 50 yards. still plenty good to keep it in the boiler room. I need to work with her on shot placement at different angles and how to connect with the vitals at different angles. I was almost considering getting a lazer pointer to help her in the field. I put a dot on the deer, she puts the cross hairs on the dot? Or some videos on the T.V., stop the video and have her point on where the round should go?

I am thinking 50 yards is max for this round due to speed and weight but 80% of my shots in Indiana have been less than that.

One thing I found funny was while she was shooting it and I was glassing the target I could actually see the round fly.....I was like WOW this IS a slow round.

ChootEm

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    Whitestown
    Maybe look into loads from Buffalo Bore. They have quite a bit of a selection of ammo tailored to specific needs like this.

I did some checking and I don't think your Rossi is rated for +P loads. Make sure you get normal pressure ammo.

Shot placement is the key, as stated above.

Yes it is not rated for the +P rounds. I looked into it and would love to be able to use them but also have a feeling as soon as those hit her shoulder it would be "No thanks I'm good."

Barns makes a round that is a nasty looking 200gr. all copper hollow point that is running at 1100fps I think? may get a box of those and see how they shoot. Right now it is sighted in for the LeverLutions just because that was the only thing I could find at the time. My 44 HATES them but the Rossi seems to find them tasty.

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    117   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    your not killin' elephants!!!!!.......45 Colts is more than enough for deer huntin'.........something in a 255gr or larger runnin' about 1kfps will due just fine.......l have hunted with a M92 in 45C since pistol/rifle has been legal and have never had one go no more than 50 to 100ft......

ChootEm

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    Whitestown
    After looking at all the ones I can find online I am thinking about picking up some of these. I am thinking the all lead round will do better in the slower round than the copper and copper jacketed rounds. It also has the highest ft. lbs. of energy out of all I have seen. Combine that with all lead and I suspect it should do some pretty good damage?

Buffalo Bore Ammo 45 Colt (Long Colt) 225 Grain Soft Cast Hollow Point

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    117   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    I'm thinking that you using a laser pointer to direct her shots might be frowned upon by your local ICO. Tell her this: "To have a round cut through the vitals well, you need to be aiming THROUGH the deer at rear edge of the the opposite side's front leg." It's that simple...line the vertical crosshair up with the rear edge of the opposite front leg, line the horizontal up to split the difference between belly and back, and gently squeeze the trigger.

I have no experience with the Colt .45 LeverEvolution, but from all indications from other ammo, it should be a NOTICEABLE step up in blast and recoil in any pistol, at least relative to your normal JHP White Box. I assumeit is +P as well.

Does she know how to shoot from a sitting braced position? If not, she needs to learn. You might be very surprised just how well she can shoot like that.

The key for her, this year at least, is going to be getting a deer within 25 yards or so. She is new at this and while it sounds like she is "adequate" under no pressure at 50 yards, if you put a live deer in front of the pistol, she's probably best kept under 25-30 yards, unless you REALLY get practicing in a hurry, and on deer targets.

For the first one, you really need to make sure it goes well, and it would be best if you were sitting right there coaching (and watching the deer to make sure you see where it goes after the shot...because she will NOT see anything after the guns goes bang).

-Nate

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    117   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    I'm thinking that you using a laser pointer to direct her shots might be frowned upon by your local ICO. Tell her this: "To have a round cut through the vitals well, you need to be aiming THROUGH the deer at rear edge of the the opposite side's front leg." It's that simple...line the vertical crosshair up with the rear edge of the opposite front leg, line the horizontal up to split the difference between belly and back, and gently squeeze the trigger.

I have no experience with the Colt .45 LeverEvolution, but from all indications from other ammo, it should be a NOTICEABLE step up in blast and recoil in any pistol, at least relative to your normal JHP White Box. I assumeit is +P as well.

Does she know how to shoot from a sitting braced position? If not, she needs to learn. You might be very surprised just how well she can shoot like that.

The key for her, this year at least, is going to be getting a deer within 25 yards or so. She is new at this and while it sounds like she is "adequate" under no pressure at 50 yards, if you put a live deer in front of the pistol, she's probably best kept under 25-30 yards, unless you REALLY get practicing in a hurry, and on deer targets.

For the first one, you really need to make sure it goes well, and it would be best if you were sitting right there coaching (and watching the deer to make sure you see where it goes after the shot...because she will NOT see anything after the guns goes bang).

-Nate

Circut Judge is not a pistol......

Last edited:

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Good lord.

So how much egg is actually on my face, versus that that has dripped off by now?

Well, I reckon that demonstrates my familiarity with those kinda firearms. Not a fan of the concept, personally.

OP: feel free to disregard all, some, or the rest of my post above. I think my comments about range and aiming are still appropriate, if you can read them through the laughing.

-Nate

ChootEm

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    Whitestown
    Good lord.

So how much egg is actually on my face, versus that that has dripped off by now?

Well, I reckon that demonstrates my familiarity with those kinda firearms. Not a fan of the concept, personally.

OP: feel free to disregard all, some, or the rest of my post above. I think my comments about range and aiming are still appropriate, if you can read them through the laughing.

-Nate

No worries....it happens to the best of us.

ChootEm

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    Whitestown
    your not killin' elephants!!!!!.......45 Colts is more than enough for deer huntin'.........something in a 255gr or larger runnin' about 1kfps will due just fine.......l have hunted with a M92 in 45C since pistol/rifle has been legal and have never had one go no more than 50 to 100ft......

Thanks....this is what I really needed to hear. I want her first hunt to be a good memory not....I wounded a deer and we never found it! Not to say that is still not a possibility but I feel better. Odds are we will never see anything due to the area we are hunting but you never know. I have hunted this 20 acre wood plot surrounded by crop fields several times and have yet to see a deer but it does have some up sides. #1 it is private land so I feel safer. #2 it is dense on the inside so shots will be close. #3 It is surrounded by empty fields....if the deer runs a quarter mile you will still be able to see it.....Planning on getting in very early in the morning hoping they are using it to bed during the day and setting up a ground blind so she can be more comfortable and be a fidgity kid like all of them are.

This little clump of woods is a squirrel FACTORY though. Damn things are everywhere it is all hickories and walnuts surrounded by beans and corn. May take the 22 with us so if she gets skunked at least she can get a little bushy tail success after we are done with the deer.

Last edited:

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    117   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    Thanks....this is what I really needed to hear. I want her first hunt to be a good memory not....I wounded a deer and we never found it! Not to say that is still not a possibility but I feel better. Odds are we will never see anything due to the area we are hunting but you never know. I have hunted this 20 acre wood plot surrounded by crop fields several times and have yet to see a deer but it does have some up sides. #1 it is private land so I feel safer. #2 it is dense on the inside so shots will be close. #3 It is surrounded by empty fields....if the deer runs a quarter mile you will still be able to see it.....Planning on getting in very early in the morning hoping they are using it to bed during the day and setting up a ground blind so she can be more comfortable and be a fidgity kid like all of them are.

This little clump of woods is a squirrel FACTORY though. Damn things are everywhere it is all hickories and walnuts surrounded by beans and corn. May take the 22 with us so if she gets skunked at least she can get a little bushy tail success after we are done with the deer.

good luck to her!!!!......if she gets one there must be pic's!!!!!!!

ChootEm

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    Whitestown
    good luck to her!!!!......if she gets one there must be pic's!!!!!!!

I think her cheeks and mine will be sore before I get done taking pictures. She has been wanting to go deer hunting SOOOOO bad. We went to the range this weekend and I sighted in the 44. I was sighting in the 45Lc and said damn this thing is a kitty cat (Website didn't like "*****cat":rolleyes:)! So it took some prodding and poking on my end to convince her that she could handle it. She shot the first round and looked over at me with this HUGE smile and said "That was easy". she put about twenty more down range then texted her mom to tell her she can finally shoot a gun that is Indiana deer legal with about 20 smiley faces behind it!

Very cool.

Top Bottom