5.11 pants. Whats the tactical strap for?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Yeah, my daily belts are 1.5" What's the word fire hose pants people?
    FWIW, the video says the belt loops are 1" wide, not that they take a belt that's 1" - there's a difference.
    The loops certainly look bigger in the pics. Like maybe they'd take close to a 1.75 to 2" belt.

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    Width and height are two different things. The width measurement is horizontal. My Dad wears these and his belt is a 1.5", so there's at least that much room.

jsx1043

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Apr 9, 2008
    Napghanistan
    As cyprant said, it's for climbing carabiners. The 5.11 pant evolved from the Royal Robbins climbing cargo pant that was being issued at the FBI Academy in Quantico. Guys going to the academy saw them from the recruits and brought the idea back to the departments. 5.11 bought out the design and patent from Royal Robbins.

I like the 5.11's and they fit me well, but then again I don't spend a whole lot of time being "grey", and if I do, I'm in jeans and a hoodie with a 3 day beard. I also like the Propper knock-off of the 5.11. They actually fit me better and don't have the funny shaped back pockets/strap.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I was thinking of trying the firehose pants, but they only advertise that it will take a 1" wide belt which is not big enough for me. Can you guys that have them confirm?

Width and height are two different things. The width measurement is horizontal. My Dad wears these and his belt is a 1.5", so there's at least that much room.

That's it. The loops are 1" WIDE (rear loop is 4".) I wear a 1.5" Wilderness Instructors belt daily.

metaldog

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 31, 2013
    Indy
    Aw, c'mon! Everyone knows the strap is used to hang your toddlers leash from so you don't lose him/her in the store.
    Ooops! I used purple. Period. End of story.:facepalm:

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    The strap is for former marines to sew their "courtesy name tags" to so that the person behind them knows who they're ...........

i may or may not be kidding and trying to poke at some old marines :):

MontereyC6

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 16, 2008
    Greenwood
    Are the Duluth pants tacticool enough to keep up with that belt? :):

Ha! We'll just have to see. I really like how stiff the belt is and how it goes on to the exact same tension each time I put it on. For what ever reason I am hard on belts and the 2 I have from them are holding up really well.

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    At work, most of us wear 5.11 or TruSpecs. All of our keys have a carabiner and we use the strap to clip the keys, then we drop them in our pockets to keep them from getting hung up on stuff. Very convenient.

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    Another pants component question. I have the LAPG operator tactical pants to use as a shell for working outside. On the thigh pockets there is a flap held down by Velcro. On the flap is a hole in the center that allows about a 2" access hole into the thigh pocket even when the flap is closed. What is the design intent for that. I've not had them long enough to play with it. I did use it to hold a hammer once but the pocket is so wide at the base it allows the hammer to swing to the front and back too much to be a good use.

Don't know if this is the exact same pants but the pocket flap looks just like this.

lapg-op-pants-007.jpg

Top Bottom