• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Read my post and the accompanying link - mass killings are not rare in China.
    Perhaps but firearms are rare. Considering that an illegally owned firearm could equal the death penalty, it doesn't surprise me. It's just not a convincing argument. With a country that had 13,000 homicides in 2010, with a population of 1.3 Billion, you will need a stronger argument to win against the anti's.

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    Perhaps but firearms are rare. Considering that an illegally owned firearm could equal the death penalty, it doesn't surprise me. It's just not a convincing argument. With a country that had 13,000 homicides in 2010, with a population of 1.3 Billion, you will need a stronger argument to win against the anti's.

The point brought to the floor was mass killings. Gun control does not stop or even slow mass killings. Furthermore, just like in Japan, it is illegal to take on the responsibility of law enforcement. You are likely to be arrested if you try to stop a mass murderer. Buddy of mine saw it first hand in Japan (hammer was the weapon there) - it's the same only worse in China.

On point, mass killings occur in China. They are common.

Yes, communism and suppression of freedom does lower the murder rate (their numbers are highly suspect - you know - being communist and all and control what numbers are released), but at what cost? We have a good amount of government intrusion, but nothing like communist China.

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    March 28, 2014: 7 injured, with 2 (a woman and four year old boy) seriously injured. The attack occurred on the outskirts of Qinzhou city, in the Guangxi province.
    March 27, 2014: 6 were stabbed to death and 7 injured over a property dispute in Beijing.
    March 14, 2014: Knife attack in Changsha market leaves 6 dead.
    March 1, 2014: 33 people killed and 143 wounded by a group of knife wielding men at the Kunming Railway Station in Yunnan province.
    August 26, 2013: 4 dead and 11 injured by a single attacker along Chengdu’s Caojia Alley.
    August 20, 2013: 3 killed and at least 12 injured in a knife attack on a bus in the central Henan province.
    July 31, 2013: 11 were injured in a knife attack on a bus in Hong Kong.
    July 29 2013: 3 people stabbed to death, 5 injured in Shenzhen, in the Guangdong province. Killer randomly attacked people people along the line the side of a road.
    July 26, 2013: 5 people killed and 3 wounded in a knife attack in Luohe city in Henan province. After first stabbing people in the village the attack continued in a furniture shop where two more people were killed.
    July 22, 2013: Knife attack in a store in Beijing’s Xicheng district leaves 1 dead, 3 wounded.
    July 19, 2013: A knife wielding man killed two people at a shopping mall in downtown Beijing. This was probably reported because one of the two murder victims was an American.
    May 22 2013: 7 injured (six primary school students and a woman) with a cleaver at a primary school in the Maoming city government in the southern province of Guangdong.
    December 14, 2012: Stabbed 23 children and an elderly woman at the village’s primary school as children were arriving for classes
    August 2, 2012: Teenager killed 9 and wounded 4 in Yongling town.
    January 20, 2012: Seven people were injured, two seriously, in a knife attack Thursday in the city of Zhongshan in south China’s Guangdong Province.
    September 14, 2011: 6 killed (two young girls and four adults) near a nursery in Gongyi.
    August 30, 2011: 8 children injured at a child-care centre in Minhang District, Shanghai.
    August 4, 2010: 4 killed (3 children and one teacher) and about 20 other children wounded at a kindergarten in Zibo, Shandong province.
    May 12, 2010: Seven children and two adults were killed and 11 other persons wounded with a cleaver at a kindergarten in Hanzhong, Shaanxi.
    April 30, 2010: 28 students, 2 teachers, and one security guard were wounded in a knife attack in a Jiangsu province kindergarten.
    April 29, 2010: 16 students and a teacher were wounded at an elementary school in southern Guangdong province.
    March 31, 2010: “A man killed a young woman and injured two other people in a knife attack at a university campus in southwest China’s Sichuan Province, officials said Wednesday.”
    March 23, 2010: 9 children murdered with a knife at an elementary school in Nanpign, Fujian province.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    The point brought to the floor was mass killings. Gun control does not stop or even slow mass killings. Furthermore, just like in Japan, it is illegal to take on the responsibility of law enforcement. You are likely to be arrested if you try to stop a mass murderer. Buddy of mine saw it first hand in Japan (hammer was the weapon there) - it's the same only worse in China.

On point, mass killings occur in China. They are common.

Yes, communism and suppression of freedom does lower the murder rate (their numbers are highly suspect - you know - being communist and all and control what numbers are released), but at what cost? We have a good amount of government intrusion, but nothing like communist China.
    Why are we using China as an example of bad gun control? Their terrible record of human rights violations kind of puts gun control at the bottom of importance. Are we arguing that giving access to the citizens would prevent these mass killings? You have to fix a lot of things in that country BEFORE arming them would actually help anything. That is why I dislike this argument, it assumes that we live in a vacuum where all we had to do is allow the citizens of a Communist country to be armed and all will be well. It doesn't work that way. Mass stabbing...if they were only armed....yeah, they would have died armed most likely. Give a sheep a gun and you have and armed sheep. That is all they know. Change that then we'll be on the right path.

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    Why are we using China as an example of bad gun control? There terrible record of human rights violations kind of puts gun control at the bottom of importance. Are we arguing that giving access to the citizens would prevent these mass killings? You have to fix a lot of things in that country BEFORE arming them would actually help anything. That is why I dislike this argument, it assumes that we live in a vacuum where all we had to do is allow the citizens of a Communist country to be armed and all will be well. It doesn't work that way. Mass stabbing...if they were only armed....yeah, they would have died armed most likely. Give a sheep a gun and you have and armed sheep. That is all they know. Change that then we'll be on the right path.

Don't over think it. The only argument/discussion made is gun control doesn't fix mass killings. That's all. In our country it's the only discussion after an event like that. We shouldn't be looking for solutions where none exist. We should be looking to make soft targets harder.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    The argument is not even really about guns. The fact is that even when people live in an area with a repressive government there is still violence. Funny thing about the human race, in the end there are still those who want to hurt their fellow man.

jdmack79

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Lawrence County
    I didn't even know legally owned private firearms were a thing in China. Guess I've got some research to do.

EDIT: You can get special licensing for the purpose of hunting and animal control. What firearms you can own for that purpose is highly regulated as well.

I'm friends with a high ranking communist official in Liaoning Province, China. I assure you that firearms are very prevalent among the well-to-do there. The individual that I know said that many wealthy people or their bodyguards possess guns. It's all about who you know.

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    Somewhere over the rainbow

Not believing the 13,000 homicides. No way. Chinese govt. would also tell you they don't have environmental problems, human rights problems, Tiananmen didn't happen, etc.

I'm friends with a high ranking communist official in Liaoning Province, China. I assure you that firearms are very prevalent among the well-to-do there. The individual that I know said that many wealthy people or their bodyguards possess guns. It's all about who you know.

When I lived in Beijing it was known that you could buy firearms on the black market. Would have been hard for a laowai, but for Chinese with money or connections, mei shi.

Top Bottom