• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Mishawaka
    About a week ago i posted a few target pics of some 3 shot groups. A few posters commented that 3 shot groups didn't cut the mustard and that a 5 shot group was required to show the shooters and guns real potential.

I changed out my Savage 10 FCP factory stock for a Choate Tactical Stock and took the challenge using my own hand loads. The results were very satisfying to say the least. Time for another Happy Dance! :ar15:

2dccc6d0.jpg

Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Mishawaka
    I just reloaded 20 more rounds, this time with varying oal's to see if this load can be fine tuned. Probably going to be hard to tell but if i can do my part then i'll find out.

Shooter's are never satisfied! LOL ... :D

Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Mishawaka
    Unfortunately I had to take the scope off the gun last night and found that i was off zero today. This group was the last group of the day and it looks like i'm still a hair left but i'll fix that issue next time out.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Oh, sure...a 5-shot group. That's fine n' everything, but what about 10 shots or maybe 300 yards? Anybody can shoot groups in the 4's at 100 yards...the real test comes at long range. :D

All kidding aside, this should keep the comments to something appropriate, like, "HEY, That's some great shootin'!" ;)

Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Mishawaka
    I'll tell ya, i wish i had a place around here to shoot out further. At least 200 yards would be nice. Unfortunately around here 150 yards is the longest range. I need to stretch this rifle out a bit seeing how it's got the potential and i'd like to see if i do.

Dave Doehrman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I'll tell ya, i wish i had a place around here to shoot out further. At least 200 yards would be nice. Unfortunately around here 150 yards is the longest range. I need to stretch this rifle out a bit seeing how it's got the potential and i'd like to see if i do.

Hop on US 20 and head east to Young's Longshot Range, just south of LaGrange. They have steel all the way out to 1,000 yards. Here's a link to their website: Youngs Long Shot Range

Here's a 5 shot group fired at 500 yards. I used my 700 chambered in .308. The group measured 1.496" center to center, or 1/3 MOA.
    onethirdmoa.jpg

And here's a 5 shot group at 1,000 yards. The first 3 impact marks are touching, the 4th shot was about 2" left of the first 3, and the 5th shot was about 4" left of the 1st 3. That is a 36" steel plate and the orange dots are 5 1/2". I didn't measure this group, but it looks like about 6".
    fiveinches.jpg

If you'd like to shoot up at Young's some time, PM me and you can shoot as a guest.

jackadew

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Washington Co.
    Does anyone know of any long-range shooting clubs in southern Indiana?

Southern Indiana Rifle & Pistol Club, just south of Bordon, In. shoots up to 500 yards, but its a private club. And what i think is the best club in south In. is Livonia Conservation Club, private also. You can only shoot up to 300 yards, but they have nice covered benches and hold ARA & PSL matches. If you make it down this way let me know, your one of the few guys on here i would like to shoot with.

Top Bottom