• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Drakkule

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Butler,IN. 46721
    I have been looking at a State Arms .50 BMG, but it was built by Klaus Horstkamp, can anyone give me some information on the quality, and basic value of these rifles? It is a single shot M class, it has a 36" barrel, and i was told only test fired, then was put on display. One other thing, where is the best place to buy ammunition for one of these? Thanks in advance.

black label

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 1, 2012
    Hobart
    I can't speak for the quality of the rifle or manufacturer, but the best place to get ammo is sgammo or lucky gunner, but I don't know if they have anymore.

Loc n load

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2013
    50 BMG shooter

I have no experience with the state arms rifle, it would prob make you a good "entry level" rifle depending on the price......if you intend to shoot any distance, then you will need to invest in a good scope.....and that would be in my book: A. a Nightforce or B. a suitable Leupold......you also need to join the FCSA - fifty caliber shooter's association.....they publish a periodical and also have a forum......we shoot the national matches at Raton,, NM every year..tons of information available in this group...goggle for 50 BMG ammo.....right now, it is hit and miss on supplies due to the craziness in the market. If you just want "blasting ammo" , then M2 ball will suffice.....if you want to work up some serious long range loads, then you will need to go to a more serious bullet design.

Drakkule

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Butler,IN. 46721
    Well i own it now, so should i look at trading it for a shooter? It looks new, and if it is more of a collector gun, i don't want to ruin the value. The serial number is low 2 digit, and I am designing a custom muzzle brake for it right now, it has a threaded barrel, but didn't have a brake on it. Just looking for some advice.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I looked at Serbu's and Grizzly's and others and ended up with a AR50. I really love it. It come's with a muzzle brake and I bought the optional rear mono-pod. It is very easy to shoot. The recoil is very marginal. Not much worse then a 12ga.

Loc n load

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2013
    Shooting the BMG

I would not be hesitant to shoot the beast.....you certainly are not going to hurt it's value by doing so.....firearms are made to be shot.....you running some rounds through it is not going to harm it's value. The 50 bmg community is one of the smaller one's in the shooting world and we shoot our rifles. Did the rifle come with bases and rings?

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    I had two STATE ARMS 50 BMG, sold them & bought McMILLAN, The STATE ARMS made a lot of different models, but they shoot good, The model M means it take military 50 BMG barrels

amafrank

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2012
    Hagerstown
    I'm not a fan of the shell holder type rifles like the State arms but its a good rifle. Shoot it if you want...if you have it in your hands its a better shooter than anything you'll have to wait for. I like the Serbus myself and I own and shoot a WWII Boys anti-tank rifle that I rebarreled to .50 BMG. Shooting the .50 is a lot of fun. I am pretty picky about ammo. No talon reloads or anyone elses. I shoot only factory new, military ammo or ammo I load myself. You can find new ammo at Cabela's but its pretty expensive. Load your own for the best cost to fun ratio... Think about how much power there is in that cartridge you have sitting next to your face before you shoot crap ammo.

Frank

Kameseri

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    B-Burg
    I have shot lots of brands of ammo through my .50 and I can say with a larger muzzle brake shooting somewhat higher quality rounds will be a more enjoyable experience, aside from their improved ballistics.

3-5 rounds of Mil Surp Armor Piercing/Incendiary silver tips = 15-20 rounds of PMC in terms of what's left behind in the brake and barrel, and what's left in your face.

The most enjoyable rounds so far have been PMC, I didn't really like the quality of the brass used for American Eagle. The Hornady's I have I save for the extreme ranges, but obviously those are very nice to shoot as well, just higher $$ for just going out and blowing things up.

The somewhat nice thing about shooting a BMG is the rounds are less effected by freakout buying.. plenty at gunshows UNLESS you are looking for Hornady A-MAX or something.

Top Bottom