• What should I do with my tax return

• Total voters

Jtgarner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Bloomington
    So my wife and I have decided that I can spend $500 of our tax return on gun stuff and I am pretty much stumped on what I am going to do with it.

I have thought about buying a Draco and doing some work to eventually SBR it (obviously won't be able to do that with just $500).

I have a stock STI Spartan that I am thinking about getting the following items for:
    Magwell
    Plain Black Front sight
    Fixed Rear Sight
    Gritty black grips

I have also thought about getting something for my AR:
    DD Freefloat FSP Rail

I could get the Draco and start swapping parts to get the gun set up how I want (minus the buttstock), or I could get all the parts for the Spartan and the FF rail for the AR. I am kinda stuck and wonder what you guys say.

I know that the Draco would give me another gun, but I am not sure if I want to finish one before starting another. (believe it or not, I have a completed Glock, and a completed Mossberg 500 that I wont change anything else on so I am capable of "completing" a gun build/upgrade)

Last edited:

Jtgarner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Bloomington
    On a side note, who wants to help me install the rail if I go that way? haha I have no experience and don't want to mess it up. (I would probably be doing it in the South Bend area)

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Normally I would say upgrade the Spartan and AR, but I don't think you can find that rail for $199 like Midway has quoted. Its normally like $350.

Jtgarner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Bloomington
    Normally I would say upgrade the Spartan and AR, but I don't think you can find that rail for $199 like Midway has quoted. Its normally like $350.
    I have watched it come back in stock every so often in the last few weeks and could have gotten it then. I am hoping it will come back if that is the way I decide to go.

So if it comes back, maybe I will go that way...

Jtgarner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Bloomington
    For just a few dollars more, if you can snag the DD rail for $199, you could buy a Draco and that rail.

Yeah I wish that was an option, but $500 is the max I can spend. Doing the Spartan and the rail will leave me a few bucks left over that I might use for a Magpul MOE trigger guard or something.

magic man

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   1
    Mar 7, 2010
    NWI
    If you can't get the cash for the Draco and the rail, then I would get the Draco and start buying parts for the Spartan. Either way, get the Draco:D

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    I love my Draco, so I voted "get one." That said, you'll have to feed it and that's not cheap. But it IS cheaper than feeding an AR.

What's on the front of your AR now? If I get another AR, I'll probably go with the MOE guards and and accessories from Impact Weapons Components . I like the way my AR is set up, but it's heavier than I'd like it to be. OK, it's downright fat... especially when compared to my Bulgy AKM.

Now I'm curious; I'm going to weigh a few weapons today....

45pro

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Plymouth
    GO WITH THE DRACO!!!!! haha, i will even take some time to help you out building it if you like. If you can pick up the draco for around $350 that leaves you $150 to add accessories.

G2 trigger $25
    hogue grip $25
    Rail like mine $40
    Muzzle brake $15-40 depending on what you want.

with whatever is left you can get a couple hundred rounds to play with.

Jtgarner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Bloomington
    GO WITH THE DRACO!!!!! haha, i will even take some time to help you out building it if you like. If you can pick up the draco for around $350 that leaves you $150 to add accessories.

G2 trigger $25
    hogue grip $25
    Rail like mine $40
    Muzzle brake $15-40 depending on what you want.

with whatever is left you can get a couple hundred rounds to play with.

The problem is, I am pretty specific on what parts I want for the Draco if I get one. I am pretty sure I am going to go with the MI/Palm Rail that is set up to mount a T1, I want a Palm Grip, Razr Muzzle break, I have looked at the G2 Trigger, and probably a Krebs Safety selector. Not to mention I would eventually want a lightning bolt on it when I go the SBR route, and maybe one of the extended mag releases (so I can drop mags with my trigger finger) :D
    (The super sad part is that I have all of these parts bookmarked in a little folder titled "Project Draco")

45pro

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Plymouth
    The problem is, I am pretty specific on what parts I want for the Draco if I get one. I am pretty sure I am going to go with the MI/Palm Rail that is set up to mount a T1, I want a Palm Grip, Razr Muzzle break, I have looked at the G2 Trigger, and probably a Krebs Safety selector. Not to mention I would eventually want a lightning bolt on it when I go the SBR route, and maybe one of the extended mag releases (so I can drop mags with my trigger finger) :D
    (The super sad part is that I have all of these parts bookmarked in a little folder titled "Project Draco")

We must think alike, i did the same thing, i created a folding in my favorites just for draco parts.

i paid $28 shipped for the Razr muzzle brake
    about $30 shipped for the g2 trigger (good trigger BTW)

the rest of the stuff i dont have experience with. But i just bought one part a week until i had everything i wanted. Its alot easier that way instead of saving up, having something happen, then using that money for something else and having to start over again.

Jtgarner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Bloomington
    If you can't get the cash for the Draco and the rail, then I would get the Draco and start buying parts for the Spartan. Either way, get the Draco:D
    That is an option I had not thought of, but There will not be enough cash to get everything for the Spartan so it will still not be finished. Interesting idea though.
    What's on the front of your AR now?
    A UTG carbine quad rail, that is why I am looking at doing it right this time.
    We must think alike, i did the same thing, i created a folding in my favorites just for draco parts.
    I do the same thing for all of my guns.
    Decided today that if I go with the Draco I will get the G2 Trigger, the Tapco Razr, and the Krebs Safety lever. That, with shipping should put me right around $500.
    Also if I go with the Spartan and AR I will get what I mentioned in the first post, and also the MOE trigger guard, the CR123 Grip insert, and a set of grips for my other 1911. All that plus shipping will get me right under $500.

Right now I am leaning toward the Spartan and AR stuff, just because it would be more parts to mess with and will complete one gun (the Spartan) and just leave me an Aimpoint Pro or CL3 and a surefire muzzle break for the AR to be complete.

Last edited:

Jtgarner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Bloomington
    I am keeping an eye out for a good price on one.
    I am waiting for the refund to hit before I get anything, but I told my wife if I catch the rail in stock I am getting it right away whether the refund is here or not.

Jtgarner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Bloomington
    UPDATE:

So I went with what I wanted to do, which happened to be what the majority voted for.
    I ended up getting the parts for the Spartan first and waited about 3 weeks for the Omega X rail to come back in stock from Midway (still in stock as of this posting).

I'll post up some pics of the Spartan after I install the parts next week. I talked to Bradi's and I'm gonna have them install the rail when I can get up and visit them.

I was also able to get a BAD lever for the AR so keep an eye out for new pics of that (although I will probably wait till after the rail is installed to take pics)

Still have about $25 left that I might spend on a MP Trigger guard or something. Not sure yet :D

Jtgarner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Bloomington
    yeah, i have a MOE grip on there now.

5513789126_4c0d796428.jpg

Magpul MOE grip
    UTG rails (hence the DD rail purchase)
    Magpul AFG
    EoTech