• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • decalguy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    I have a question, I inquired at a few gun stores but only received blank stares or, nobody here shoots black powder. I recently was looking at a Dixie gun works .58, three bander in really nice shape. Being a modern replica is there a smokeless powder that’s useable without blowing it up? I’ve wanted one since I used to do re-enactments with my brother. Real black powder is quite pricey, when you can find it. Thanks.

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    Nope. Look at the NMLRA's site and ask around. Also, if you're re_enacting remember you don't need near as much of it. What's your approximate location? Someone among the faithful may know of a nearby source.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    You definitely need correct black powder or possibly Pyrodex. Do NOT load or fire it with smokeless.

If it's a percussion gun you can probably roll with FFG equivalent Pyrodex.

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    Do not shoot smokeless in a muzzle loader! IIRC there was a Savage Muzzle loader that was purpose built for smokeless. BP is out there, but right now with all the scandemic, it's hard to find anything. Try Midway, or even Dixie Gun Works, you might also try the NMLRA website.

JHB

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2016
    Columbus
    Deer Creek has black powder Goex is $20.00 a lb. at the store. That is cheaper than smokeless.

LuckySarge

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2021
    Columbia City
    I would check Tomlinson's Gun Shop in Churubusco IN I do not know what part of the state you live in but they have had powder in the past when no one else does. google and call them

Reactions: TLF

steif

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    80   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    nope! smokeless will turn that rifle into a shoulder mounted grenade... and it will go off right in front of your nose.
    I havent bought any real black powder in a while, but I do find substitutes like triple 7 and pyrodex at walmart. You will get a bunch of shots out of a pound...
    And also, at times after muzzleloading season I have found pounds of powder for as little as 7 bucks in the after season clearance at walmart.

decalguy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Thanks for all the info guys. I didn’t buy it even though it was immaculate and only $350. Figured I’d put it towards something I know I can shoot safely.

dennismassie

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2020
    West Lafayette
    I have a question, I inquired at a few gun stores but only received blank stares or, nobody here shoots black powder. I recently was looking at a Dixie gun works .58, three bander in really nice shape. Being a modern replica is there a smokeless powder that’s useable without blowing it up? I’ve wanted one since I used to do re-enactments with my brother. Real black powder is quite pricey, when you can find it. Thanks.
    NEVER use smokeless in a black powder-only firearm. The pressure curves are so vastly different that smokeless could burst your barrel. Try subs like Pyrodex, Triple Seven, APP, or Blackthorn. Real Holy Black is still the best, though, IMHO.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I have a question for you. Do they still make the 500gr Minie Ball bullets for those? Or do you just shot a round ball?

Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    I have a question for you. Do they still make the 500gr Minie Ball bullets for those? Or do you just shot a round ball?

I don't know if Dixie still carries them, but you should be able to find minie balls in other locations.

Log Cabin Shop (https://logcabinshop.com) and Track of the Wolf have some, though they aren't cheap.

You'd be better off finding a mold and making your own in the long run, depending on how much shooting you plan to do.

Top Bottom