• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Squid556

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 26, 2022
    Wabash Co.
    Fair warning. Full length Squid spiel, so ya may want some coffee and popcorn .

:popcorn::coffee:

Without a doubt, when talking AR calibers it seems everyone has their own take on “everything wrong with 5.56”. Doesn’t seem that long ago but around 2003 the 6.8 Remington Special Purpose and 6.5 Grendel cartridges came out as solutions to upgrade short action AR15 ballistics.
    IMG_4282.jpeg
    5.56 NATO / 6.5 Grendel / 6.8 SPC

I thought since so much time has passed it would be interesting to see just how the market has embraced these cartridges now that we are out of the fad phase.

Before I get to that I want to touch on what these rounds even are for the uninitiated.
    IMG_4283.jpeg
    6.8 SPC / .300 Blackout / 7.62x39

The 6.8 SPCs story starts like all good stories. Apparently some folks had no clue about how intermediate cartridges work… then were surprised that 5.56, at long range, wasn’t some Call of Duty insta-kill (Squids paraphrase)… so in a joint venture between Remington and the US Army they set out to create a longer range harder hitting round that still fit in an M4 carbine. They ended up with with a .277 diameter, 115 grain bullet doing around 2800 fps and it was glorious….. but later downloaded to around 2500 fps due to Remington, once again, dropping the ball.
    IMG_4286.jpeg

So now folks are up to speed on our 6.8 , I can bring the uninitiated up to speed on 6.5 Grendel.

IMG_4284.jpeg
    6.5 Grendel / 6.5 Creedmoor / 7.62x39

Again same time period and goal, gunsmith Bill Alexander and Lapua work together to stretch the most distance out of the AR15. In a slightly less foolheared endeavor they create this gem of a cartridge. .264 diameter bullet, 123 grains, at 2600 fps although its usually loaded down to 2400 fps. I’m not sure who to blame for this, but feel free to blame Remington since they are already the bad guy in the story.
    IMG_4287.jpeg

——————————————————
    So now that everyone is on the same page….. these both were designed with the same goals in mind. Let’s look at how they compare, and where they ended up now 20 years later.

Comparing apples to apples, from the same premium manufacturer, this is what I’ve found. I’ve provided data for as far as you SHOULD be using intermediate cartridges… and nearly MAX range.

Nosler Custom Competition
    - 6.8 SPC 115 gr
    300 yds, 1120 ft/lb energy, 1.5 foot drop
    700 yds, 380 ft/lb energy, 16 foot drop

- 6.5 Grendel 123 gr
    300 yds, 1000 ft/lb energy, 1.5 foot drop
    700 yds, 530 ft/lb energy, 15 foot drop

You can see how similar they are in their performance. 6.5 of course being the better round 500 yards +. Both of these rounds are a fair shake better than 5.56 at range so they accomplished their goal, but what did the market do with them now that they have been around a while?

—————————————————
    I searched several places to get a feel for how popular and who’s using these rounds as of 2023

Ammoseek search engine shows 150 listings for 6.8 SPC ammo, while showing 300+ listings for 6.5 Grendel ammo.

Gunbroker shows around 300 listings for 6.8 SPC rifles, while listing 800 6.5 Grendel rifles.

Lipseys wholesaler shows 6 rifles in 6.8 SPC, while showing 17 rifles in 6.5 Grendel

Palmetto State Armory and Bear Creek Arsenal both show ZERO 6.8 rifles or uppers, and have on average about 20 uppers and rifle for 6.5 Grendel.

6.8 SPC has been picked up by LWRC and modernized into a really great rifle they call the Six8 A5. Even has optimized proprietary Magpul magazines. Wilson Combat also has several high end 6.8 rifles to sell.

————————————————
    Suffice it to say, the 6.8 is declining in popularity but seems to have some better uses as an actual intermediate cartridge in a military context than the Grendel. It performs much better in short barrels, brass is cheaper to make, stacks better in magazines too. Allegedly Jordan and Saudi Arabia actually purchased 6.8 in large quantities so that and hog hunters are what’s keeping this one going.

6.5 Grendel seems to have found its niche in the long range target shooting community. Cost seems to stay high on ammo although there is steel case wolf out there for now anyway. It stacks kinda crappy in large AR mags but has found some new life in AK mags and rifles. So much so that Serbia has been testing and fielding them in Zastava rifles allegedly.

——————————————————
    In conclusion, both rounds have their fans and critics. In a horrible plot twist I like both equally but identify as a 5.56 guy! (At least in a military context). With how inexpensive AR uppers have gotten, I encourage people to buy and try new old rounds and see how they actually do on the range and hunting.

Anyway hope you enjoyed my research project for the night. Share it if you did. Looking forward to hearing your SPC and Grendel stories down below.

Last edited:

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    I have both but like the 6.8 better. It is a great medium range AR cartridge for those that handload and understand what the cartridge is actually supposed to be.

Thanks in large part due to the 6.5 CM, the belief in the magical powers of .264 diameter bullets, and the popularity of "long range" shooting, the 6.5 Grendel was saved from fading into obscurity. Now, the variety and selection of commercial ammo available for it makes it the easy choice for those that don't reload. For me, the 6.5 is a cart before the horse cartridge, what it excels at are jobs that I'm not going to choose an AR sized cartridge to do or at least not an AR 15 sized cartridge.

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    I got in to 6.5G in an AR15 a few years ago. I wanted an AR to hunt deer with and I already had one in 762x39. 6.5G seemed like an upgrade in accuracy and energy.

Just after I happened on an aero upper that I made in to an SBR. So I've got 2 now. One is a 10.5 inch that I usually put a supressor on, and the other a 20inch. I have hunted with both. The SBR is handy in the woods for short ranges, and the 20 inch is more of a blind gun where I don't have to move much.

I've also used 6.5G for a hog/gator guided hunt in Florida. Works for that too.

edwea

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jan 25, 2015
    New Dolan
    As a side note, there are many bolt action rifles chambered in 6.5 grendel while few if any chambered in 6.8. Why is that? I honestly don't know because it seems 6.8 would lend itself to a bolt action as much as the grendel. The 6.5 label enjoys more recognition (grendel, creedmoor, x55, etc) than 6.8. I think this is more a question surrounding consumer habits than ballistic comparison.

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    Prices are high partly because very few people make it, and it seems that only common cartridges like 9mm/556 have really caught up from the COVID shutdowns.
    I haven't seen 6.5g in stock really anywhere consistently. I see some Wolf, some Privi, and very rarely Hornady SST.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    As a side note, there are many bolt action rifles chambered in 6.5 grendel while few if any chambered in 6.8. Why is that? I honestly don't know because it seems 6.8 would lend itself to a bolt action as much as the grendel. The 6.5 label enjoys more recognition (grendel, creedmoor, x55, etc) than 6.8. I think this is more a question surrounding consumer habits than ballistic comparison.
    I think you hit the nail on the head with your last two sentences. You didn't see the Grendel start showing up in bolt actions until the 6.5 CM craze lead to tag along popularity in the Grendel. By then the Grendel was clearly the more popular of the two so there was little demand for bolt actions chambered in 6.8.

I'm sure the perception of the Grendel as a long range cartridge helped push it to be chambered in bolt actions as well. However, it doesn't make a lot of sense to me in a bolt action unless the goal is just to have the softest recoiling round capable of taking medium game. Within the confines of an AR 15 magazine and action both the 6.5 and 6.8 make a lot of sense but chambering them in a bolt action that can chamber any number of superior cartridges, doesn't.

edwea

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jan 25, 2015
    New Dolan
    You didn't see the Grendel start showing up in bolt actions until the 6.5 CM craze lead to tag along popularity in the Grendel. By then the Grendel was clearly the more popular of the two so there was little demand for bolt actions chambered in 6.8.
    Do you think the 6.8 Western will have the same effect on the 6.8 spc? I don't either.

dak109

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    Brown County
    When I started looking for a one gun for deer and coyote, in the AR15 platform, I was going to go with the Grendel. I talked to Monty at Centurion Arms, he told me to check the 6.8. I did, and liked what I saw. Back then there were better bullet options for the 6.8.
    Fast forward to when my son asked about building a deer rifle. The Grendel had more ammo availability.
    Currently what I am seeing is the 6.8 is the less expensive option to reload for. If you can find components. Grendel brass was about 30-40% more expensive than 6.8 about a year ago. Haven’t bought bullets for either recently. I loaded up on those a couple of years ago.
    As I told my son, for hunting southern Indiana either is fine. If you want to shoot past 500 yards go with the Grendel.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    Do you think the 6.8 Western will have the same effect on the 6.8 spc? I don't either.
    That's an interesting question. I think I would have to say probably not. I could see the .277 Fury having some coattails for the 6.8 to ride but the Western and SPC seem too much like polar opposites. Maybe some could find a benefit to having a fast twist SPC and shooting the 160-170 grain bullets created for the Western but that seems to be counter to the SPC's intent and best use.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Fair warning. Full length Squid spiel, so ya may want some coffee and popcorn .

:popcorn::coffee:

Without a doubt, when talking AR calibers it seems everyone has their own take on “everything wrong with 5.56”. Doesn’t seem that long ago but around 2003 the 6.8 Remington Special Purpose and 6.5 Grendel cartridges came out as solutions to upgrade short action AR15 ballistics.
    View attachment 294520
    5.56 NATO / 6.5 Grendel / 6.8 SPC

I thought since so much time has passed it would be interesting to see just how the market has embraced these cartridges now that we are out of the fad phase.

Before I get to that I want to touch on what these rounds even are for the uninitiated.
    View attachment 294521
    6.8 SPC / .300 Blackout / 7.62x39

The 6.8 SPCs story starts like all good stories. Apparently some folks had no clue about how intermediate cartridges work… then were surprised that 5.56, at long range, wasn’t some Call of Duty insta-kill (Squids paraphrase)… so in a joint venture between Remington and the US Army they set out to create a longer range harder hitting round that still fit in an M4 carbine. They ended up with with a .277 diameter, 115 grain bullet doing around 2800 fps and it was glorious….. but later downloaded to around 2500 fps due to Remington, once again, dropping the ball.
    View attachment 294529

So now folks are up to speed on our 6.8 , I can bring the uninitiated up to speed on 6.5 Grendel.

View attachment 294530
    6.5 Grendel / 6.5 Creedmoor / 7.62x39

Again same time period and goal, gunsmith Bill Alexander and Lapua work together to stretch the most distance out of the AR15. In a slightly less foolheared endeavor they create this gem of a cartridge. .264 diameter bullet, 123 grains, at 2600 fps although its usually loaded down to 2400 fps. I’m not sure who to blame for this, but feel free to blame Remington since they are already the bad guy in the story.
    View attachment 294532

——————————————————
    So now that everyone is on the same page….. these both were designed with the same goals in mind. Let’s look at how they compare, and where they ended up now 20 years later.

Comparing apples to apples, from the same premium manufacturer, this is what I’ve found. I’ve provided data for as far as you SHOULD be using intermediate cartridges… and nearly MAX range.

- 6.8 SPC 115 gr
    300 yds, 1120 ft/lb energy, 1.5 foot drop
    700 yds, 380 ft/lb energy, 16 foot drop

- 6.5 Grendel 123 gr
    300 yds, 1000 ft/lb energy, 1.5 foot drop
    700 yds, 530 ft/lb energy, 15 foot drop

You can see how similar they are in their performance. 6.5 of course being the better round 500 yards +. Both of these rounds are a fair shake better than 5.56 at range so they accomplished their goal, but what did the market do with them now that they have been around a while?

—————————————————
    I searched several places to get a feel for how popular and who’s using these rounds as of 2023

Ammoseek search engine shows 150 listings for 6.8 SPC ammo, while showing 300+ listings for 6.5 Grendel ammo.

Gunbroker shows around 300 listings for 6.8 SPC rifles, while listing 800 6.5 Grendel rifles.

Lipseys wholesaler shows 6 rifles in 6.8 SPC, while showing 17 rifles in 6.5 Grendel

Palmetto State Armory and Bear Creek Arsenal both show ZERO 6.8 rifles or uppers, and have on average about 20 uppers and rifle for 6.5 Grendel.

6.8 SPC has been picked up by LWRC and modernized into a really great rifle they call the Six8 A5. Even has optimized proprietary Magpul magazines. Wilson Combat also has several high end 6.8 rifles to sell.

————————————————
    Suffice it to say, the 6.8 is declining in popularity but seems to have some better uses as an actual intermediate cartridge in a military context than the Grendel. It performs much better in short barrels, brass is cheaper to make, stacks better in magazines too. Allegedly Jordan and Saudi Arabia actually purchased 6.8 in large quantities so that and hog hunters are what’s keeping this one going.

6.5 Grendel seems to have found its niche in the long range target shooting community. Cost seems to stay high on ammo although there is steel case wolf out there for now anyway. It stacks kinda crappy in large AR mags but has found some new life in AK mags and rifles. So much so that Serbia has been testing and fielding them in Zastava rifles allegedly.

——————————————————
    In conclusion, both rounds have their fans and critics. In a horrible plot twist I like both equally but identify as a 5.56 guy! (At least in a military context). With how inexpensive AR uppers have gotten, I encourage people to buy and try new old rounds and see how they actually do on the range and hunting.

Anyway hope you enjoyed my research project for the night. Share it if you did. Looking forward to hearing your SPC and Grendel stories down below.
    Good read thanks.
    I'm a big 6.5 Grendel fan. It is just an easy shooting cartridge that can make accurate shots at longer distances in the AR-15 platform.
    I was thinking/wondering about a similar cartridge as the 6.5 Grendel but necked down to .257 for the 100gr Sierra MK or lighter if one wants more velocity.
    I'm thinking 257 Robert's performance in a shorter cartridge that will work with an AR-15.
    Something bigger than 243, but smaller than 264.

Squid556

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 26, 2022
    Wabash Co.
    Good read thanks.
    I'm a big 6.5 Grendel fan. It is just an easy shooting cartridge that can make accurate shots at longer distances in the AR-15 platform.
    I was thinking/wondering about a similar cartridge as the 6.5 Grendel but necked down to .257 for the 100gr Sierra MK or lighter if one wants more velocity.
    I'm thinking 257 Robert's performance in a shorter cartridge that will work with an AR-15.
    Something bigger than 243, but smaller than 264.
    The only 25 caliber AR cartridge I'm aware of is the 25-45 sharps. But I don't think its meant for long heavies.

Other than that you may look into the 6mm ARC. Similar to Grendel but with more velocity. Closest you'll get to what you're interested in I think.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    The only 25 caliber AR cartridge I'm aware of is the 25-45 sharps. But I don't think its meant for long heavies.

Other than that you may look into the 6mm ARC. Similar to Grendel but with more velocity. Closest you'll get to what you're interested in I think.
    That 25-45 Sharps pretty neat.
    They say their 87gr hits 3000fps that's using 223 brass.
    So using 7.62x39mm brass (more powder) necked down to 257, and a 100gr bullet it's probably going to be right at, or over 3000fps.
    That would be a fun cartridge. That would be close to 2000 ft lbs of energy at the muzzle.

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    Good write-up. I went down that rabbit hole a few years ago and ended up building a rifle in 6.5 Grendel. I liked the gun, and liked the cartridge, but my primary use was shooting paper at my local gun club, which only goes out to 200 yards. I got sick of that thing losing or tearing up really expensive brass, especially when I can get .223 basically for free, and there was no real benefit to the 6.5 in my environment.

I ended up selling that rifle to a buddy, along with all my 6.5 reloading stuff. He wanted it as a deer rifle. Within a few months he was complaining about how hard it was to find ammo, and how expensive it is. I just looked at him and said "I told you." He's since sold the rifle to another buddy. Who knows, maybe in a few years it'll find it's way back to me, but I honestly don't really miss it that much. For my purposes, I think I'd have been better served with a bolt-action, if only to prolong the life of the brass...but if I was going to go that route, I figured I might as well just get a Creedmore.

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    I love me some 6.5 Grendel!

It is, in many ways, a Goldilocks caliber. Not too much, not too little. It has sufficient energy and velocity to kill medium game, but fits in an AR and has very mild recoil.

6.8 SPC and 6.5 Grendel are nearly the same round IMHO. When I initially went with 6.5, it was only because I believed that the masses would eventually migrate to 6.5 due to the “huge ballistic advantage.” Hindsight appears to justify that decision.

Either cartridge really shines as a do it all hunting rifle. Originally when looking for a hog rifle, we wanted:
    -Semiautomatic
    -Ability to quick change optics
    -Easily suppressable
    -6-7lbs before optics and suppressor

344D37F7-798F-449A-88E6-F2BDF5423B33.jpeg

Not many options that fit those criteria! Lots of hogs, deer, coyotes and an antelope later, still like the caliber. It has some shortcomings though, chiefly in the magazines.

The design of the caliber just doesn’t leave much room for magazine walls within the AR receiver. As a result, it doesn’t take much for the followers to have problems, particularly in dirty suppressed rifles. Due to the gasses deposited into the magazine, the followers begin to bind fairly quickly. I’ve found you can mitigate this by disassembling and cleaning the magazine after firing one magazine’s worth of contents. It’s a hassle, but has been the only way we’ve found to make the platform 100% reliable suppressed. As a result, it rules out the caliber for anything beyond hunting use.

The LWRC Six8 rifles look like the perfect solution, but I just can’t bring myself to drop $3K on one, especially after being so invested in Grendel!

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    @Squid556 great write up bro! When I was building my match rifle, I spent hours researching 6mm, 6.5mm, 6.8mm and wow was in information overload......as I balanced this & that of each cartridge vs the 223/556 it was a daunting task, as I was talking to other competitors, I heat hearing, 223 components are easy to find , priced decent and all the ballistics are a known formula, now that being said my 77 grain load will just flat hammer at 600 yards.
    As I look into building a "Palma rifle " the great cartridge debate has started oll over again.
    FB_IMG_1690883226394.jpg FB_IMG_1690883271281.jpg FB_IMG_1690883220280.jpg

Top Bottom