• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    KREBS CUSTOM, INC just let out a press release that they will be producing a variant of the SIG 556 rifle. The gun will be made by SIG, but modified by KREBS CUSTOM, with a 6.5 Grendel chamber/barrel from Shilen.

Looks like they plans some additional quality upgrades to the SIG as well. I had a SIG 556, now I wish I had kept it and could just send it to KREBS for their workover. Production release is projected to be August/September of this year.

Here is their Press Release:
    NEW! Krebs Custom 6.5 Grendel Rifle!!​

Krebs Custom, Inc. will begin making a series of SIG 556-based rifles that have been converted to the 6.5 Grendel cartridge.

These rifles will be built with Shilen heavy barrels, 2-stage triggers, Magpul Adjustable butt-stocks, and our new and effective Krebs-designed flash suppressor. We anticipate pictures of the new rifle will be available in approx. 2-3 weeks, with testing results in approx. 3-4 weeks. Interested shooters can call us (847-487-7776) or e-mail us (krebscustom@krebscustom.com) to get on our notification list for further developments.

The 6.5 Grendel was chosen due to its very efficient nature. Although similar in size to the 7.62x39 cartridge, it offers drastically improved exterior ballistic and terminal performance. This is accomplished through the use of very efficient projectiles with higher than normal Ballistic Coefficients. The result is both greater retained velocity and energy down range. Despite its small size, the 6.5 Grendel is capable of taking large game animals at 300 yards and beyond. In addition, the 6.5 Grendel performs very well from 600 to 800 yards, even from a 16 inch barreled carbine (unlike traditional intermediate cartridges).

Compared to the NATO standard 5.56x45 cartridge, the 6.5 Grendel provides more energy, improved terminal performance, and better penetration of intermediate barriers. Due to its heavier and more efficient bullet, the 6.5 Grendel retains 59% greater energy at 400 yards, and up to 88% greater energy at 600 yards.

For a more “apples to apples” comparison, we’ll pit the (123 grain) 6.5 Grendel against the (123 grain) 7.62x39. At the muzzle, the 6.5’s bullet is approximately 200 fps faster, giving it about 17% more energy. At 300 yards, the 6.5 bullet is approximately 500 fps faster, resulting in an 81% greater energy margin over the 7.62x39. At 600 yards the 6.5 is about 600 fps faster with well over TWICE the energy of the 7.62x39. It does this without adding noticeably more recoil, or additional ammunition size or weight.

Finally, the 6.5 Grendel performs well even when compared to the full-size 7.62x51 NATO cartridge (in its standard 175 grain MatchKing sniper load). Because of its more efficient projectile, the 6.5 Grendel has less bullet drop and wind drift out to 1000 yards. At 300 yards the 7.62x51 NATO has approximately 39% greater energy. This drops to 26% at 600 yards, and to only 22-20% at 800-1,000 yards.

While the 7.62x51 NATO puts a larger diameter and heavier payload on target, the 6.5 Grendel compares better than any other intermediate cartridge.

6.5 Grendel ammunition is available from Alexander Arms, Hornady, and Wolf Performance Ammunition. Reloading dies, components, and data are also readily available. Wolf Performance Ammunition will be adding an inexpensive steel-cased load to the reasonably-priced brass-case product line later this year.

Testing demonstrates that the 6.5 Grendel easily out-performs traditional intermediate cartridges like the 5.56x45 and 7.62x39. As a flat-shooting and accurate cartridge, the 6.5 Grendel will take the SIG 556 to a new level of performance for the user.

booey50

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 27, 2009
    nw indiana
    I am saving up the money for a 6.5. Not the sig because they over priced for what they are but some flat top upper will be mineark my words. Does anyone no where I can find one that is good but not god awful expensive?

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    On the lower end of the price spectrum would be Model 1 Sales, they sell their Grendel uppers under the name 6.5 Sporter. I had a carbine length one for a while, it was decent. I prefer my Sabre Defense upper, the barrel is slightly longer. The Grendel really shines in barrels 18" or longer because it picks up velocity with the increased powder burn the slightly longer barrels provide.

When looking at the 6.5 realize there are MANY DIFFERENT NAMES for the 6.5 Grendel. Some call it the 264 LBC (les baer custom), others call it the 6.5 SPORTER, its also referred to as the 6.5 CSS (competition shooting sports). Its exactly the same ammo but Bill Alexander of Alexander Arms trademarked the name, he specified a specific chamber dimension too. Each of the others slightly modifies the chamber but just barely enough to get past the trademark/licensing, the ballistics are the same regardless.

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    I saw in the newest shotgun news this same company with an AK type rifle in this caliber. Crazy! The article said it was dead on all the way out to 800 yards if I remember correctly.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Top Bottom