• ...and so much more!
  • DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Anyone know of any good sources for 6.5 Jap ammo? I'm having a hard time finding places online that even stock it. I tried Mr. Nambu and have emailed him twice with no responses. :( I've got 100 rounds on order from Lohman Arms, but they're talking 8 to 10 weeks to ship anything right now. :n00b:

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    The Sportsman's Guide carries a line of Hornady ammo, but they're sold out of both Arisaka rounds (6.5 and 7.7) right now. This is a great reason to load your own, but heck, it's hard to even get reloading components, right now.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    The Sportsman's Guide carries a line of Hornady ammo, but they're sold out of both Arisaka rounds (6.5 and 7.7) right now. This is a great reason to load your own, but heck, it's hard to even get reloading components, right now.
    Yeah, that's the thing. All my usual online sources either don't carry it at all or they're out of stock. Even the ammo search engines don't turn up much, if anything. I do plan on reloading for it eventually (assuming the rifle shoots well enough to make that worthwhile), but I've got to have the brass to reload. Seems like I used to run across it all the time... that is until I actually needed it! :):

Iroquois

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    I bought one of these rifles years ago for $25. The bore looked like a rusty water pipe. After cleaning with an oversize brush &steelwool the bore looked ok, so I bought some Norma brass and Lee dies. With my first reloads it printed clover shape groups at 25yards...about 2 minutes of angle off a bench. If the barrel on your gun is at all ok, it's worth trying...you may be suprised how well it shoots. Lucky for you there are less expensive sources of brass today, but you may wait for it.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    After shooting and cleaning again, there is a lot of pitting evident in the bore. With the ammo I do have on order, I should have a decent enough supply of brass, and with the way it shot, my suspicions about not shooting it a lot were confirmed. I was able to put all rounds on a 12 inch target at 50 yards (after figuring out my hold under), but that's about all I can say about it.

Iroquois

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    You might try 'fire lapping' to clean up the bore...it probably had a lot of corrosive ammo through it which would account for the pitting. It should shoot better than that. Most of these were made before WWII and made well. I was told that a rebarrel is not practical. Well at least it shoots...I've bought a few guns that wouldn't even do that...

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    You might try 'fire lapping' to clean up the bore...it probably had a lot of corrosive ammo through it which would account for the pitting. It should shoot better than that. Most of these were made before WWII and made well. I was told that a rebarrel is not practical. Well at least it shoots...I've bought a few guns that wouldn't even do that...
    I'm hoping it improves the more I shoot it, but I'm not holding out a lot of hope that it will ever be a tack driver by any stretch of the imagination. Which, given the price and scarcity of the ammo to feed it, may be just as well!

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    I have submitted several older, rather beat-up barrels to a "break-in" procedure. The accuracy and ease of cleaning after doing so was considerably improved. A lot of guys buy old rifles with rough bores and think they'll never shoot very well. Cleaning up the bore and having the crown redone can make a huge difference. It's fun and relatively inexpensive to find out for yourself. :)

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    will be at the indy show at the end of Aug
    That's what I figure. Although I'm not sure I'll be going to the August show, since I'm planning on going to a big show in Louisville the second weekend in September. Hopefully the 100 rounds I've got on order will come in before then.

Top Bottom