6.5Creedmoor Ruger Precision Rifle incoming...First hand advice on scope rings?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LINEOFDEFENSE

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    LAFAYETTE, IN
    finally have my Ruger precision rifle incoming to my dealer should be there tomorrow or Tuesday at the latest. As usual I decided to wait to the last minute to order scope rings and the scope as well. already have a Nightforce 1 piece base/rings on my remington 700 .308. I read somewhere that the ruger precision rifle also has a 20moa slant on the rail (like 700?).

So before I pull the trigger on another night force 1 piece base (I am not swapping the nightforce base I already have off my 700) just wanted to triple check if anyone knew a better ring set tailormade for this rifle? As far as the scope I'll be using my osprey 10-40x50 that I have on my remington 700.

This is not meant to be a cheap scope vs expensive scope thread. I read an article where someone was building a precision 700 piece by piece and they said buy an expensive scope base but not an expensive scope. In case you find you hate long range shooting, itzstoo $$$, or just giveup because you refuse to learn something new (going thru the you suck stage first). The article said you'll likely be changing the scope as you progress to the point where the cheaper scope limits your accuracy (not in my case currently).. Then I'll go full on nightforce 12-44x56..Although, I've had nothing but great results with my Osprey scope. It has a lifetime warranty on it and thankfully haven't had to try out the warranty yet:). And imho; scope was flawless, comfortable, and clear few weeks ago at 600 yard range Talladega CMP.

PS: If any ingo members have enough land that we can setup a 1500 yard gong; Id love to rent the space for a few hours. Actually, it may take me a whole afternoon..:) However, I am going to be able to hit consistently at that distance...I am on my way to over a mile (bucket list). If anyone knows lf marksmanship school where they help teach you to hit at 1 mile by the end of the week or whatever?
    Preferably where they supply the rifles..

I mean I own all the sniper movies...even the last one where he was fat and fingerless; so how hard can it be???

Last edited:

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    :dunno: I CAN'T SEEM TO GET MY HANDS ON ONE!!!

I am very happy for you but man I'd love to have one myself! Please let us know how you like it!

danielocean03

Come in, Manacle Shark.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Hamilton County
    :dunno: I CAN'T SEEM TO GET MY HANDS ON ONE!!!

I am very happy for you but man I'd love to have one myself! Please let us know how you like it!

I know the feeling all too well, I've been looking everywhere. I've called all over and posted here. Nothing yet. I haven't given up hope, yet.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I've been a fan of Seekins Precision rings for many years now. They offer more surface area than many on the market and have a clean design with no 1/2" nuts to get snagged.

danielocean03

Come in, Manacle Shark.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Hamilton County

LINEOFDEFENSE

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    LAFAYETTE, IN
    I don't know why people think these are so hard to find especially in 308 there's tons of them on Gunbroker. and it's not like you're paying I turn over the MSRP with a 308 model if I remember right they were high 900s low 1000s in 308 caliber. now the 6.5 is a different story.....$$$ supply and demand:).

LINEOFDEFENSE

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    LAFAYETTE, IN
    okay I completely was mixed up in that last post....gunbroker does have tons of 308 but they're selling around 1200 my dealer had quoted me high900s to low 1000s but couldn't guarantee when hed get one in 308.

ROLEXrifleman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    NW Indiana
    The rings and base are the weakest link in most rifle set up because people find it hard to part with with another $100 dollars for rings, and if your rifle doesnt have a base another $100+. We are moving away from that as more and more rifles come with milled in pic rails. the scope doesn't have to be expensive, just repeatable. there are plenty of sub $500 scopes out there that do just fine. Just dont try to compare a $500 value minded scope with a $2500+ top tier one.

At the end of the day though someone always tries to put it all together using $20 junk rings and then wonders why their rig patterns like a 12 gauge.

I stick to what I know, DD Ross and Badger USMC rings. Otherwise I heard EGW and Seekins, as mentioned above, make a good ring as well

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    One of my rifles have steel Leupold Mark 4s on them. So far they've served me well but it's not like I'm pounding the rifle around. I have a spare set of 30mm Nightforce rings and a set of 30mm Seekins Rings for future projects. I like clean rings so the Seekins gets the nod in that regard over the Leupold and Nightforce cause the 1/2" nuts as stated before (goes for Badger and EGW rings too). But cleanliness is a preference, they're all good rings.

One of these days I want to try a set of American Rifle Company rings just cause I think the design is very entreating.

LINEOFDEFENSE

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    LAFAYETTE, IN

Thanks for the kick in the nuts:(....nothing like overpaying for something youve wanted for months and the day b4 it arrives you
    find it for hundreds less....I went to the site and actually had one in my cart (said instock?); thinking I could sell the one I had overpaid for..

Then after doing the math of shipping fees, transfer fees x2, gunbroker auction fees, and finally time spent answering emails/texts/trade offers/etc...I remembered we all have to pay the cost for things we enjoy. Time or money is the choice which. So, I didnt buy...And am content in the knowledge that someone, somewhere is getting the deal I wanted (but didnt want to wait for).

Thankfully I have been blessed in this life to purchase things I want(but dont need). Because I am a rich(compared to the rest of the world) I can afford to overpay to save time. Because I am a cheapskate(because I live within my means) I spend alot of time finding deals to underpay.

Because I am a sarcastic deep thinker I use ..... and ( ) alot.
    :)

What makes the American Rifle Co rings unique?

LINEOFDEFENSE

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    LAFAYETTE, IN
    One of my rifles have steel Leupold Mark 4s on them. So far they've served me well but it's not like I'm pounding the rifle around. I have a spare set of 30mm Nightforce rings and a set of 30mm Seekins Rings for future projects. I like clean rings so the Seekins gets the nod in that regard over the Leupold and Nightforce cause the 1/2" nuts as stated before (goes for Badger and EGW rings too). But cleanliness is a preference, they're all good rings.

One of these days I want to try a set of American Rifle Company rings just cause I think the design is very entreating.

Sniper's Hide - Long Range Shooting, Precision Marksmanship, Gear Testing & Reviews - Scout Front Page

Googled it....WOW! ARC rings must be special. I didnt see any negatives reviews on that page. And you know, theres always one whining frowny faced guy on gun forums. Thanks for the headsup

danielocean03

Come in, Manacle Shark.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Hamilton County
    Those American Rifle Co. M-10's are really cool, I like them.

AMEM101003432.jpg

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    One brand I haven't seen mentioned in this thread is TPS rings/bases. They are VERY nice for the money.

Personally, I stick with Nightforce, Badger, Seekins, and TPS for my rings/bases in centerfire bolt guns.

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    before I pull the trigger on another night force 1 piece base

Why are you contemplating replacing the Ruger supplied pic rail? I've seen only six of them, but all were in spec and leave nothing to be desired, except maybe more slant for some applications. They are lugged to the receiver, which is nice.

Unless you you intend to use a Nightforce unimount as rings. Those are easily avoided due to their limiting scope position and eliminating optimal ring spacing.

Any quality rings built for a pic rail will suit. Seekins have been mentioned, DD are quality, Warne, EGW, Talley, etc etc.

Top Bottom