• BIGE7.62

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 98.5%
    66   1   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    The Hills of Brown
    Can anyone share some information/ knowledge about the 6 x45 /6mm x223 ?

What would be a decent white tail bullet weight ?
    What is a good twist rate for this bullet weight ?
    I want to use the AR-15 platform .
    I want to use the powder, primers , brass and bullets I have on hand

I have done some research but would like more information .

Yes, I know there are a blue freaking million other options out there. But I want more info on this round .

Thanks Eric

Last edited:

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Is the barrel life of the 243 whats scaring you I cant think of any reason to do that caliber over a 243 with the exception of barrel life, and even that could be fixed with reduced loads.

Keep in mind that most of the time when folks share info on X caliber they do so by comparing it to Y caliber.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    For white tail, the 88 grain SP. Or maybe a 75. 8 twist is sufficient. The problem with the 6X45 is case capacity. There is not enough. But a friend shot one out to 600 yards with a bolt gun. Not optimal, but he did OK. On paper.

For a high performance 6mm, Google 6mmAR. I used one for a couple of years. 105 at 2800fps. You can do a lot with that.

Last edited:

bstewrat3

Master
    Rating - 100%
    142   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Beech Grove
    I would stick to the 85gr bullets. The 6x45 will move them along plenty fast enough for whitetails. I hunted with 100gr bullets in a 6.5 TCU in a pistol for a couple years and it worked just fine. A 1-10" twist would be the slowest I would go with.

dugsagun

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    portage
    I shoot 80gr barnes ttsx out of my 243 win. I use rl-17, but have used h335 in the past. I shot lengthwise thru a big doe last year in Arkansas. I'm pushin 3400fps in my savage16, by my nephew's youth axis does the same at 3000fps.

6mm Shoot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    Hi.

I have been shooting the 6mm X 45 for about 3 years. I use the 85 gr Sierra HPBT Game King. I am getting 2600 FPS using a 23 gr charge of 3031. At one hundred yards I am getting .5" groups.

It's a very accurate round and very light shooting. You can shoot it all day with no ill effects. I have really enjoyed shooting this round.

I also have a 243 in a savage and it will give you about the same results with a 100 gr bullet moving at 2800 FPS.

Deer don't know the difference between the two. I on the other hand like shooting the 6 mm X 45 more.

Placement of shot is what is going to kill the deer not the 200 FPS difference in the two rounds.

I have just about given up on shooting the 243 and shoot the 6 mm X 45 when I want to shoot a 6mm. The only thing bad about the 6 mm X 45 is that you can't buy factory loaded ammo. No real problem for me but it would be nice to be able to do it. More people would be using the round if you could.

I have shot it out to 300 yards and am very pleased with the results.

I plan to build a turn bolt in 6 mm X 45 I want to use the Ruger American rifle and re-barrel it. So little time and so many projects.

BIGE7.62

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 98.5%
    66   1   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    The Hills of Brown
    6mm Shoot , I feel your pain on time and projects . I was looking at RCBS Dies . What do you use ?
    This is what I was looking for some real world info .
    Thanks everyone for your input at this point

6mm Shoot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    Hi all.

The 6 mm X 45 isn't legal in Indiana that I know of. It is legal in Kentucky and I plan to use it there on my son's place.

I picked up my barrel from Midway and have been very pleased with it. It is one of their AR-Stoner barrels. I picked up a 6.5 Grendel from a outfit called Dead Shot Barrels. It was only $240 and it shoots great. I got a 20" light contour. You could probably have them make you one in 6mm X 45.

Most of the places out there that make good barrels want $350 on up to what they think they can get. As being retired and having limited funds I can not afford $400 for a barrel. So I take my chances on the cheaper ones and so far it has worked for me. My 6mm X 45 will shoot .5" groups with my hand loads and so will the 6.5 Grendel from Alexander Arms as well will. At this point I haven't finished with the Dead Shot barrel but it is looking real good I am just having a problem with a flier that opens up a .4" group to an inch. I don't know if it is me or my loads. My son is coming over this coming week and I am going to have him shoot it and see how it goes.

I am using RCBS dies for the 6 mm X 45. They are working well for me.

Last edited:

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Hi all.

The 6 mm X 45 isn't legal in Indiana that I know of. It is legal in Kentucky and I plan to use it there on my son's place.

I picked up my barrel from Midway and have been very pleased with it. It is one of their AR-Stoner barrels. I picked up a 6.5 Grendel from a outfit called Dead Shot Barrels. It was only $240 and it shoots great. I got a 20" light contour. You could probably have them make you one in 6mm X 45.

Most of the places out there that make good barrels want $350 on up to what they think they can get. As being retired and having limited funds I can not afford $400 for a barrel. So I take my chances on the cheaper ones and so far it has worked for me. My 6mm X 45 will shoot .5" groups with my hand loads and so will the 6.5 Grendel from Alexander Arms as well will. At this point I haven't finished with the Dead Shot barrel but it is looking real good I am just having a problem with a flier that opens up a .4" group to an inch. I don't know if it is me or my loads. My son is coming over this coming week and I am going to have him shoot it and see how it goes.

I am using RCBS dies for the 6 mm X 45. They are working well for me.

They recently changed the laws to allow 24, and 30 caliber in Indiana for deer.

6mm Shoot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    I understand that changes were made to what you could use and they were listed. The 6mm X 45 wasn't on the list. Now if they have allowed all 6mm rounds I have not heard that. If you go to the rules that are listed to view they so far are the same as last year. That is on the DNR site as of two weeks ago.

I know that the state passed new laws that allow new calibers. The details being the responsibility of the DNR. Till the DNR lists the changes on the 2016 to 2017 rules we will be stuck with last years rules.

Last edited:

dave29

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jul 8, 2009
    Lawrenceburg
    I understand that changes were made to what you cold use and they were listed. The 6mm X 45 wasn't on the list. Now if they have allowed all 6mm rounds I have not heard that. If you go to the rules that are listed to view they so far are the same as last year so far. That is on the DNR site as of two weeks ago.

DNR gets clarification on new rifle law for deer hunting - 4/5/2016 - State of Indiana
    • The rifle must have a barrel length of at least 16 inches
    • The rifle cartridges must have a cartridge case length of least 1.16 inches
    • The rifle cartridge must fire a bullet with a diameter that is
    o .243 inches (or 6 mm); or
    o .308 inches (or 7.62 mm)
    • No cartridges with a bullet diameter between .243 and .308 are legal (such as the .270 Winchester)
    • A hunter may not possess more than 10 such cartridges while in the field

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    DNR gets clarification on new rifle law for deer hunting - 4/5/2016 - State of Indiana
    • The rifle must have a barrel length of at least 16 inches
    • The rifle cartridges must have a cartridge case length of least 1.16 inches
    • The rifle cartridge must fire a bullet with a diameter that is
    o .243 inches (or 6 mm); or
    o .308 inches (or 7.62 mm)
    • No cartridges with a bullet diameter between .243 and .308 are legal (such as the .270 Winchester)
    • A hunter may not possess more than 10 such cartridges while in the field

Yep

6mm Shoot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    I understand what you are saying and went to the calender and read it . Now you need to go to the DNR Hunting and Trapping Rules on what can be used to hunt deer. It hasn't been changed yet. If it isn't changed come hunting season then we will be stuck with the hunting rules that are listed no matter what the calender has stated.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Initially the state said 5 cartridges, but didn't use proper names.
    DNR made clarification.

The Hunting and Trapping Guide for 2016/2017 is not out yet (wasn't last time I checked). If you click the 2016/2017 link on the DNR site it only shows you the 2016 from the 2015/2016 seasons.

The info can be found without much effort though. Do we need to tie it to a tree with the d*mn deer?

Last edited:
    Top Bottom