7.62/.308 Battle Rifles - Looking for INGO Opinions...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    How about the LMT L129 or KAC M110?

Maybe a GI (get it? German Issue, gun puns are the best) of the PTR GayDry clones?

That Fulton Armory M14 ESR gets my juices flowing.

Oh, heck, I can go on all night.

Write all the suggestions down, assign a card to each and then draw one out of a hat!:D

I would recomend the LMT over the knights because of price only. Also the lmt used some knights technology too

Nazgul

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Near the big river.
    I have both a Ruger Gunsite and a Springfield SOCOM.

The SOCOM has been very reliable and accurate with a Scout scope setup on it.

The Ruger has a Scout scope as well, very accurate. Use it deer hunting, easy to carry, puts them down well.

Don

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    201   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    I love the FAL and also agree it is a great option. However buyer beware. There are so many chop shop versions out there that you need to really do your research and know what you are buying. Buy once cry once

Totally agree, and I don't know enough about them to make an educated buy. I do not own one, and that is the main reason, too lazy to do the necessary research.

Skullglide

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 21, 2014
    Otterbein
    I am with sloughfoot, I have the 16” bbl Ruger Scout in .308 with polymer stock. It is wearing a weaver scout scope and a leather sling from Andy’s leather. Very handy rifle and accurate.

DFacres

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 14, 2015
    This sphere
    I opted for the SCAR because:

1. Under 8lbs.
    2. Holds MOA
    3. Still compact enough to be workable.
    4. Gas piston.
    5. Left side charging.

1. Every time I shoot long range I have to carry the rifle through the woods to the location. Heavy rifles are terrible when adding the rest of my range equipment.

2. What is the point of a .308 if it can't hold minute groups? MoM (Minute of Man) is fine to 300, after that things get spotty. Nothing is worse than shooting an inaccurate rifle at range. It's like playing a game that the rules keep changing.

3. See #1. Long rifles are cumbersome to carry.

4. I suppress everything anymore. Gasses coming back at me are a non issue, even shooting cheap ammo.

5. Coming off of a cheek weld after settling in is a pain. It also gives me a visual indication of the status of the rifle. (I can see a FTF/FTE due to the charging handle being farther back)

Your first list #5 is partially accurate. The charging handle can be moved to either side.
    My recommendation to the OP would also be a plug for the SCAR 17S and topped with a
    Trijicon ACOG TA11E which has the ballistics set for .308
    Recoil on the SCAR 17S is mild and lots of YouTube videos make mention
    of that. I also opted for the SCAR 17S in black, and FDE. My neighbor wants to buy mine after he shot it.

mark40sw

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2015
    Roanoke
    SCAR17. Started with Razor 1-6 gen2. Ending with NightForce 2.5-10 to take advantage of its surprising accuracy (with Geissele trigger).
    resize.jpg

Butch Williams

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 12, 2013
    Twelve Mile
    As a reloader, I have to agree with Leadeye. Why would I want a rifle that turns reloadable brass into junk.
    .308 gets expensive buying it, reloading is the way to go

I reloaded a lot of the brass, that I shot out of my fluted chamber HK 91. The main problem was, it threw it into the next county, finding it was the only challenge.

jsullivanj

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Prosper
    Go Socom

Springfield Socom #1
    REPR is ****. Over priced for what it is. Worst purchase of my life, confirmed.
    However, Nemo is a gun worth the money.

Jump62

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2014
    Fenwick Island
    I reloaded a lot of the brass, that I shot out of my fluted chamber HK 91. The main problem was, it threw it into the next county, finding it was the only challenge.

Went to a range to re zero my PTR 91F and asked the RSO to put me as far to the right of the firing lanes as he could. I told him my rifle will throw the spent brass 10-15 meters in the 2 O'clock position and I didn't want to bother anyone to my right. He had never seen a 91 type rifle and said ya-ya take position #7 out of 10 so I had 3 shooters to my right. 5-8 rounds later and making the snipers in the trees duck, during a hold the RSO move me to #10 and moved the other guy into my old position.
    To the OP to me a battle rifle is something that you plunck down in the back of a pick-up with your ruck and bounce down a real bad road while trying to sleep, I've seen G-3s used as an ice-ax to self arrest on a snow field. It ( a battle rifle ) isn't a sniper rifle but you should be able to make someones life miserable starting at 350 meters. I would look at what do you really want it to do for you? For me ( with what I own ) I would either take my PTR-91F or my WW AR-15a2, both have glass, spair parts and my trust to work. On my buy list is a FAL, some type of M-14 M1a BM-59, and maybe a FNC but is very hard to find.
    Good Luck on your hunt
    Jump62
    aka Paul

Who Dares Wins

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2010
    Plainfield
    I have an LMT MWSE and really like it! The British army selected this for long range accuracy in a shoot-off with FN Scar and HK rifles, I believe. It is a good testament to LMT quality that they won the contract and once fielded, many extra LMT's were purchased for the Royal Marines, etc and this is a good recommendation also. The barrel is free floating, so less weight from pistons etc jumping around and better accuracy here! There are two quick barrel bolts that allow you to switch barrels for different barrel lengths/calibers really easily!! I have one barrel with a Surefire flash hider and another with a Lantac Dragon Muzzle Brake for variety!

The LMT is heavier than an FN Scar, but this helps with recoil and I like it. The LMT LM8 version is weight reduced with bolt-on Picatinny rail segments, if the weight bothers you. I really do like mine and would strongly recommend it!! It shoots much better than I am capable of!

michaelward50

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2018
    Indianapolis
    I had a chance to run the SOCOM 16 out to 300yrds. Was going to be my choice if I could afford the ammo.

Stepped down to an AR. After owning an AR I would consider an AR10 over the SOCOM 16

Check out the DPMS LR308. I think POF is making an AR15 sized gun now that launches 308

I agree with the AR sentiment. If this is a "if I can only have 1" gun, then you want it to be something pretty universal. Meaning easy to fix/get parts for. A battle-proven platform with decades of modern success is hard to ignore. I'd go with an AR-10 set up to your personal liking.

1stLast&Always

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 14, 2016
    Indy No Place
    Can anyone comment on the M&P 10 in this category? They seem moderately priced. AR10 parts from different manufacturers (uppers, lowers) can be challenging to mix/match. For example PSA, if you wanted a bargain basement "AR-10" type, only guarantees their uppers matched with their lowers.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Can anyone comment on the M&P 10 in this category? They seem moderately priced. AR10 parts from different manufacturers (uppers, lowers) can be challenging to mix/match. For example PSA, if you wanted a bargain basement "AR-10" type, only guarantees their uppers matched with their lowers.

I just put an Aero Precision upper on my PSA lower (PA 10) and it fit up just fine. YMMV

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I have never heard anything negative about the M&P 10. All of the reviews that I can recall when they came out were generally positive.

Top Bottom