• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hrearden

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 1, 2012
    Anybody have a cheap (as is possible) recipe for 7.62 NATO? Im looking for loading to spec with consistency so it shouldnt be too much of a stretch.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Please define "spec" and "consistency".

Cheap is as cheap does. The beauty of reloading is that you can create excellent quality ammo at a reasonable price. If all you want is "cheap", shoot factory or surplus garbage.

trophyhunter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 2, 2008
    South Bend
    Anybody have a cheap (as is possible) recipe for 7.62 NATO? Im looking for loading to spec with consistency so it shouldnt be too much of a stretch.
    The trouble is the supply of pull down bullets at a bargain price has long dried up and that really zaps the cost of duplicating 7.62 Nato, M2 ball and the like on the cheap. Far as recipes go most all the powder companies publish a 62K and under .308 Sammi load chart so have at it with whatever components you can find. ~I have QL software if you want to compare notes on published loads.

hrearden

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 1, 2012
    Speer manual #11 lists several recipes.

What bullet are you using, and what powder?
    Im not using anything, yet. Thats why I posted. I was looking to see what other people used to get ammo, loaded to NATO spec dimensions, velocity, etc that was cheaper than match but more consistent than surplus.

hrearden

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 1, 2012
    The trouble is the supply of pull down bullets at a bargain price has long dried up and that really zaps the cost of duplicating 7.62 Nato, M2 ball and the like on the cheap. Far as recipes go most all the powder companies publish a 62K and under .308 Sammi load chart so have at it with whatever components you can find. ~I have QL software if you want to compare notes on published loads.

I was actually trying to discern what other people may be using for the cheapest possible load that will be more consistent than surplus. I have reloading manuals. I was looking for peoples specific loads they use to give me an idea of what components will give me a decent buy. It was, admittedly, a bit of laziness on my part. I appreciate the fact that you recognized what it was I was trying to say as far as the cost of the ammo vs the quality.

RSW

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2013
    Blc2 with 175 gn or 168 gn Nosler custom competition bullets.

This is plus range brass and cci primers are my cheap accurate load. Now is this for a bolt action or semi auto? What is your twist rate?

Best price on 168
    https://www.midsouthshooterssupply...._Grain_Hollow_Point_Boat_Tail_1000_Count_Bulk
    Best price on blc2 is where you can get it. It's usually $3-$5 cheaper per pound than varget or imr4064 but they too will work.

trophyhunter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 2, 2008
    South Bend
    I was actually trying to discern what other people may be using for the cheapest possible load that will be more consistent than surplus. I have reloading manuals. I was looking for peoples specific loads they use to give me an idea of what components will give me a decent buy. It was, admittedly, a bit of laziness on my part. I appreciate the fact that you recognized what it was I was trying to say as far as the cost of the ammo vs the quality.

Are you actually wanting to load for a Nato spec chamber or a .308 rifle? Nato cases have 52 grains of capacity and Sammi cases have 56, recipes don't safely interchange at all between sized cases. There's a particular economy load using the Sierra 150gr fmj-bt and IMR 4895 for either pressure range that's exceptionally accurate and very economical to put together but there's a healthy difference in constructing the load either way. Don't even bother messing with Nato loads if you have a Sammi .308 chamber you can really get better speed and tune the load a bit more for accuracy in your gun.

hrearden

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 1, 2012
    Blc2 with 175 gn or 168 gn Nosler custom competition bullets.

This is plus range brass and cci primers are my cheap accurate load. Now is this for a bolt action or semi auto? What is your twist rate
    Best price on 168
    https://www.midsouthshooterssupply...._Grain_Hollow_Point_Boat_Tail_1000_Count_Bulk
    Best price on blc2 is where you can get it. It's usually $3-$5 cheaper per pound than varget or imr4064 but they too will work.

For an L1A1, 1 in 10. Thank you for the information!

Are you actually wanting to load for a Nato spec chamber or a .308 rifle? Nato cases have 52 grains of capacity and Sammi cases have 56, recipes don't safely interchange at all between sized cases. There's a particular economy load using the Sierra 150gr fmj-bt and IMR 4895 for either pressure range that's exceptionally accurate and very economical to put together but there's a healthy difference in constructing the load either way. Don't even bother messing with Nato loads if you have a Sammi .308 chamber you can really get better speed and tune the load a bit more for accuracy in your gun.
    I get the subtle differences and you raise a valid point. That being said, the gun is actually marked ".308" and I have run plenty of .308 through it.

trophyhunter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 2, 2008
    South Bend
    For an L1A1, 1 in 10. Thank you for the information!

I get the subtle differences and you raise a valid point. That being said, the gun is actually marked ".308" and I have run plenty of .308 through it.

Actually it isn't a subtle difference at all. My favorite light bullet load of the 150 grain Sierra FMJ-BT seated over 48 grains of IMR 4895 at a col of 2.775 produces 61,158 PSI in a .308 case that holds 56 grains of water and falls under the 62K max. Try that with 4 less grains of case capacity and what you end up with is a round producing 74K psi.

You don't want Nato load specs for your .308 brass and chamber, the load I listed above will average right at 2875 fps in a 22" barrel, if you want to mirror the 2750 fps speed range of Nato loads drop the charge to 46 grains.

hrearden

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 1, 2012
    Actually it isn't a subtle difference at all. My favorite light bullet load of the 150 grain Sierra FMJ-BT seated over 48 grains of IMR 4895 at a col of 2.775 produces 61,158 PSI in a .308 case that holds 56 grains of water and falls under the 62K max. Try that with 4 less grains of case capacity and what you end up with is a round producing 74K psi.

You don't want Nato load specs for your .308 brass and chamber, the load I listed above will average right at 2875 fps in a 22" barrel, if you want to mirror the 2750 fps speed range of Nato loads drop the charge to 46 grains.

Thanks, buddy!

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    The last I knew, NATO spec on 7.62 is a 147 gr FMJ boat tail bullet on enough ball powder to make 2700 fps. BLC-2 is the right burn rate.

Corrected 2750 fps. I am getting feeble in my old age.

Last edited:

Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    Leo, TM-43-0001-27 list the FPS @ 2750 at 78 feet.

I am getting that velocity with 41.5-42 grains of Ramshot TAC under a 150 grain Hornady FMJBT lightly taper crimped at the bottom of the cannelure, LC brass and CCI milspec primer.

This was in my M1A

Top Bottom