• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PaulKersey

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Sep 16, 2012
    Evansville
    I am fairly new to the AK world and looking to buy a case or two of 7.62x39 ammo for range use and long term storage. I am shooting a Century C39v2, and not surprisingly, it eats anything (so far). Is there any significant difference between the bulk foreign ammo, such as Golden Tiger, Tula, Wolf, etc.? Do you just buy whatever is the best price, or is there a specific brand that is clearly better than the others?

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    As you noted, most any foreign ammo will work fine. My SKS seems to be most accurate with Golden Tiger, so that's what I've stocked up on, but all fire reliably.

AmmoManAaron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 20, 2015
    I-get-around
    Of the foreign made steel cased stuff, Golden Tiger is usually thought of as the best, but the difference doesn't seem to amount to much. There isn't much of a price difference, so go with what makes you happy. Best bet is to try some of each brand and see if you can tell a difference in reliability or accuracy in YOUR gun.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    364   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    I agree with the above, for blasting I will get whatever is cheapest. SGammo has Golden Tiger priced pretty low and its reputation is for accuracy and reliability. Bonus is it has a laquered case with sealed primer and bullet. Having corrosion tested 5,000 plus rounds, I can definitively state it holds up the best.

Sling10mm

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2012
    I have only used Wolf, Wolf Military Classic, and Tula in 7.62. All have functioned fine, but the Tula seems to be a little dirtier, and maybe not quite as accurate as the Wolf… in my AK's at least. Might have to try the Golden Tiger based on the comments here.

TheRude1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 15, 2012
    INDY
    I say get anything you can while you can before some asshat in the Gov decides you should not be able to have it anymore.

sofrosune

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    Golden Tiger is also unique in that it seems to be the only one in its price range that has a boat tail bullet with a nose cavity, for whatever that's worth. (someone correct me if I'm wrong about that.) Nutnfancy did a pretty good review of some popular 7.62x39 loads recently and, aside from a high-priced Hornady load, actually had the best results from Golden Bear.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    golden tiger when/if you can find it. It's usually a little more money (~$30 per 1000 rounds), but its good stuff for all the reasons listed above. I say "when/if" you can find it because usually a shipment will be bought up well before the next shipment arrives so there are periods (months) where no one has any, then a shipment hits and everyone has it for a few. It's a vicious cycle ;)

that said, if you can't find GT, then any of the other stuff available will suffice.

Top Bottom