• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cool Breeze

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 15, 2013
    Fort Fun
    Hey folks, I've been looking into a new rifle and am considering different calibers. I'm not an AR guy, but unfortunately the AK world isn't so great right now. I've considered an Arsenal, but not too fond of the mediocre finish integrity. So, I'm considering a CZ bolt action, or the new Ruger American.

For rifles, I have a 9mm Sub2K, and then a .17hmr. I know the 5.56 is a big step above the .17hmr, but I don't see it as a big enough jump to be necessary. I've looked at .308 and while it would be cool, I can't justify plinking with ammo that expensive. I've never hunted deer, but may in the future, is x39 allowed for deer in IN? Would anyone even consider it?

My wants: Fairly cheap ammo, range to 200yds max, maybe suppressible? I believe x39 is sufficient, but what else can it do? Other than paper and steel what would you use it for? Deer? Wild boar? Coyote? Prairie dogs out west?

Thanks!

wildcatdd

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2017
    Noblesville
    My dad has killed a lot of deer in his day, and he killed them all using either a Mini 30 or SKS. I don't know what his affinity is towards that caliber, but I can attest it's a flat shooting deadly caliber for deer.

chef1231

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Apr 23, 2014
    NWI
    I had a cmmg Mutant and really liked the round. Super. Cheap to plunk with. I would buy the river just based on its cost and threaded barrel. If you are looking for something semi auto but not ar15 style then check out ruger. They offer a few semi rifles

TheWabbit

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    In my lair
    7.62x39mm is good for hogs but I'd rather go with .30-30 for deer (or my .45-70 cut down to 1.8" aka the Libertarian). I'd go with something like 5.56mm, .22mag, or .17hmr for the small varmits.

And the new hunting rules on calibers only apply to private hunting land, not public, for the 5 year test period.

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    201   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    For the record I have 3 Arsenals, and no finish issues. I don't run them hard, but they do get fired, and they do get hot.
    Also Arsenal has improved their finish on newer rifles (use your google foo) to find the serial range. And I understand they will now re-finish any rifle as a warranty issue (double ck. that)
    Just an FYI, don't let internet commando's keep you from something cool.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    7.62X39mm=.30-30, which has arguably killed a LOT of deer.

I bought my oldest nephew a CZ527 in .30RS. It is just fine on deer. (Noah likes the Cor-Bon soft points)

04-10-11_1915.jpg

Last edited:

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    My wants: Fairly cheap ammo, range to 200yds max, maybe suppressible? I believe x39 is sufficient, but what else can it do? Other than paper and steel what would you use it for? Deer? Wild boar? Coyote? Prairie dogs out west?

Thanks!

Just buy a nice Russin or Sino-Soviet sks, and you will have satisfied all your desires.
    Note: Do not make it into a Bubba rifle!

It does all those (and more)except prarie dogs...stay with .17hmr

Top Bottom